ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Upgrading Laptop HDD

?
I have a dell vostro 1500. I'm planning to upgrade my external hard disk (currently western digital 320gb 2.5") to a big old style 3.5" 1.5tb or 2tb.

Now, I want to take apart my 2.5" hard disk and put the hard drive into my vostro laptop. How do i find out the specs of the hard drive before ripping the external housing out? I'm interested to see wether they have the same interface etc (sata/ide) and if the spin speeds/acess times are comparable/better/worse.

SLK250 CDI
When you plug in the external disk, does it show up the model number in Device Manager? Then google it.

Clio 182FF
The Vostro range is fairly recent so any it should be using a 2.5" SATA drive which means you can use most SATA 1 or 2 hard drives.

Warning though, I put a 7200rpm into my Dell Inspirion laptop and it makes a lot more heat - I'm talking up to 75 degrees which burns your lap!

?
Shadowsun, funny you should mention that.

My laptop has been getting VERY hot speeds since I can remember when watching movies (especially HD) or downloading large files. Never took any notice of it as its always on a desk etc but the underneath is impossible to touch its that hot!

Last night downloaded speedfan and temps were something like...

GPU - 65
HD0 - 50
TEMP1 - 90
CORE 0 - 87
CORE 1 - 87

Surely thats running too hot lmao.