ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

upgrading from stock - sports headlights?

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
Hi all, just wondering how much works involved in changing the basic lights on a mk2 ph1 clio to the sport dual optic lights? i'm considering buying some but dont fancy getting in over my head if its more hassle than its worth?

Thanks,
James

Lots of Alfas
This pretty much covers everything:

Converting your mk2ph1 lights to the sport optic lights

The double optic lights not only improve looks but they are much brighter and light up for a longer distance. The double optics were fitted to the higher end clios including the 1.4si, 1.6rsi, 2.0 sport and V6 Sport, they were also fitted to some specials such as the MTV and the Initiale.

My car before:

104_0462.jpg

My car after the conversion (and a few more mods!!):

xlatextclio.jpg

Health and safety and the law

· Remember to disconnect the battery Negative (black) lead before carrying out any electrical work
· I will not accept any responsibility for electric shocks, blown wiring, fires and explosions.
· By law and to pass a mot the front lights must be aligned correctly. If you’ve brought the lights brand new, fit them and take the car to a mot test station and they will align them for you.

What you need:

· Wire cutters and strippers
· Quality wire and crimp terminals (see diagram in wiring section).
· Crimp Tool
· 2X Snap lock connectors/splitters (see diagram in wiring section).
· A Red 5 amp mini fuse, you may have one as spare in your fusebox cover.
· 2X Double optic Light clusters
· 2X HB3 bulbs
· 2X H7 bulbs
· 2X W5W (501) sidelight bulbs
· 2X orange indicator bulbs (can use your old ones).

Wire and terminals can be found at www.halfords.co.uk or www.maplin.co.uk

Removal:

Removing is the easy bit; disconnect all the connectors (The H4 bulb, indicator, servo and sidelights). Remove the top grill/surround by un-screwing the 2 screws on the top, and the 2 that face the front next to the lights. The grill and surround will then unclip from the surround ends and pull off but be careful as the clips can break. The lights are held in place by 1 screw at the top and 2 at the bottom (be careful not to loose them down the front of the car). You should now be able to remove the old light clusters.

Wiring:

It’s fairly simple, you need to make an adapter for either side; you need to split your current H4 bulb light setup to support 2 separate bulbs instead of one. The double optic lights have a HB3 and a H7 basically you need to put the main beam wire to the H7 bulbs and the dipped beam wire to the HB3 bulbs and earth them both by splitting the existing earth feed into 2 for both sides.

Existing H4 Left Main beamGreen wire - to NEW H7 bulb (the inner light in the cluster)
Existing H4 Left Dipped beam Beige wire - to NEW HB3 bulb (the outer light in the cluster)
Existing H4 Left earth Black wire - to both bulbs

So each bulb has 2 pins, one has to be linked to the corresponding wire and the other has to be linked to the earth, it does not matter which way round.

Existing H4 Right main beam yellow wire - to NEW H7 bulb (the inner light in the cluster)
Existing H4 Right dipped beam white/red wire - to NEW HB3 bulb (the outer light in the cluster).
Existing H4 Right earth Black wire - to both bulbs

So each bulb has 2 pins, one has to be linked to the corresponding wire and the other has to be linked to the earth, it does not matter which way round.

Remember to use high quality insulated wire, always use a crimp tool to connect the crimp terminals to the wire. Insulate any bare wire/terminal with insulation tape. The terminals should be held tightly onto the wire and shouldn’t just pull off. If you ever need to change a bulb, pull the wires off the bulb by holding the terminal, not the wire.

Confused? Here’s a diagram: (the colour of the wires corresponds with the notes above).

lights.jpg

This view shows the completed conversion:

lights1.jpg

Putting it back together:

Now you have the adapters made up fit the new lights, connect them up and screw the clusters to the car. The connections for the servo, sidelights and indicators are the same. You can use the servo from the old lights, just push it in and twist it round until it clicks into place. This is so you can adjust the height of the lights from the inside controls on the dash. Make sure the clusters are complete with the indicator bulbs and the sidelight W5W bulbs.
Refit the top grill/surround.

Fuse:

In order to make the low beam stay on with the high beam a fuse has to be added to the fusebox, all clios have the wiring ready, you just need to pop the fuse into position. This is also required to pass a MOT. The fusebox is on the drivers side on the end of the dash (open the door) clip off the panel. The position to add the fuse is where it says dual headlights in the manual, the symbol is a light with 3 straight lines next to it.

Don’t forget to reconnect the battery.

Testing:

With sidelights on the 2 inner bulbs should be dimly lit from the little bulbs at the bottom, with dipped beam on both the 2 inner bulbs should be dimly lit and the outer optic lights should be lit. With high beam on all lights should be lit. Although high beam obviously can be lit on its own. Move the slider on the dash to make sure the height adjustment works. Also put your hazards on to make sure the indicators are working.

Clio II and Grand Modus
it´s not that hard at all........do a search as it has been up many times.

If you can get the Hella adaptor cables it´s plug´n´play and then a extra fuse in the holder at the side o the dash.

The above metode is a bit amature IMO as the Hella cables comes with the correct sockets for the HB3 and H7 bulbs and they have seals so any corrosion and electrical faults are avoided.

Last edited:
  e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
nice one m8 ;) , doesn't look to difficult at all, famous last words though lol.. how much would a set of these lights cost me roughly on ebay? i think they look really tidy & just could not stand the thought of angel eyes.. also, michael where can i get the plug & play kit ur on about from?

Clio II and Grand Modus
It´s a Hella part for the Optik lights and I got mine from a Hella dealer........Goes from H4 into HB3 and H7.

If everithing goes wrong I know that Renault used the kit when they install the lights. It´s money well spend too avoid any problems with faulthy lights in the wet ect.

T

thecremeegg

any ideas how to find a hella dealer at all as i like the sound of buying the kit

Clio II and Grand Modus
don´t you have hella dealers in uk??

I´m from mainland europe and they are everywhere over here.
If not try renault. They are not expensive think I gave 10 pounds a piece .

Lots of Alfas
Yes you can get the hella adapter but I was told the part was discontinued. It looks like this:

adapter.jpg

Clio ll ph 1
hello.. i managed to make my own adapters as you said.. but the problem is i dont have fuse slot(i have but wires arent runned thru) as you said and i would like to know if i can anyhow rebrick the wires? i know @davebem isnt active anymore but if anyone knows how could i do that or is there any post with simular situation like mine post it bellow.. thanks :)

btw if im not wrong, it should be f13 fuse?

Clio ll ph 1
i was just thinking maybe i should connect positive low beam onto positive high beam but with a diode so its passing juice only when the high beams are on? or any other sollution?