ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Upgrade to Espace (2 Pot) Calipers

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I doubt most disks we buy on ebay etc are balanced well anyway, so the lathing down probably wont effect them, lol

MX5 NC 2.0 Sport
The Alfa calipers are perfect, imagine this in "Brembo" Red on the 172.
Tested them with the Brembo discs :cool:

20121026215526.jpg

Cup In bits
You always forget balancing....

LOL, My machine shop would do it if needed thats why I dont say.

I doubt most disks we buy on ebay etc are balanced well anyway, so the lathing down probably wont effect them, lol

Exactly, I have been advised its pointless by guys that skim disks weekly. I recently machined a flywheel with rough casting on the rear just like disks have in the vanes and it was pap on after, decent brake disks have good castings so there's no need, there sometimes done at factory. You wouldn't notice a slightly imbalanced disk like you would a wheel or warped disk.

MX5 NC 2.0 Sport
The Alfa Romeo Brembos are the same as the Fiat Coupe ones?

Nope the alfa's 166 are bigger.
Went to a mate this afternoon who had 406/fiat brembo's on his mk1 Cup.

I test fitted the Espace calipers on the 172 and he said it is NO problem that the pads are a few mm shy off the disc.
He judged the difference(with 280mm discs) and said that this is no problem, this guy is a certified Renault Mechanic and the only one who is allowed to work on my car except me ;)
You only have to use some washers to get the spacing correct and job done.

He also mentioned that there are cars out there that come out of the factory like this (pads a few mm shy of the discs).

I'm going to sell my set of calipers as im going with the Alfa brembo's so if anyone's interested (with brand new Brembo pads).

Last edited:
  MX5 NC 2.0 Sport
When you test fitted smokey was that on scenic disks?

Nope with the standard 280mm discs as mentioned in the reply above ;)
These calipers cannot be mounted with the scenic discs without a bracket so that would be impossible to do.

The brake line thread of the Alfa Brembo's are identical to the clio's aswell, slowly getting there.

Cup In bits
Okay Perfect, it was just you said "he judged the difference" I took that as he guessed it would fit with 280mm from trying on the 300mm.

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
bumping this old thread.. Can't see any of the OP's photos, was curious about the firment under 15" f1's
And also (as I read all 7 pages but ended quite confused at the end) - after all is it possible to do a big brake upgrade -say 300mm discs and espace/scenic calipers- without machining parts, as a straight swap?
Thx!

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
Without sounding the dick, imo if your sticking with 15" wheels your not trying to stop a heavy car so why bother? Original calipers and discs with decent pads are are you'll ever need on a mk2 at a ton or under regardless of power output

BG Clio 182
bumping this old thread.. Can't see any of the OP's photos, was curious about the firment under 15" f1's
And also (as I read all 7 pages but ended quite confused at the end) - after all is it possible to do a big brake upgrade -say 300mm discs and espace/scenic calipers- without machining parts, as a straight swap?
Thx!
Just do the brembo conversion. It's f**king awesome. Looks the tits too.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

MX5 NC 2.0 Sport
In the meantime i tested several braking setups and agree with @Bear Head
The Bremo 225 is the obvious choice for 15".
I now run a mk3 megane Brembo setup, which definatelly looks and works awesome but you must run 16".