ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Upgrade to a 172 or 1*2

BMW 323i Coupe
Not sure that I'm in the right area, but it can be moved if not.

I'm starting a new job tomorrow, and I'd love to get a Clio Sport, but I've learnt my lesson from my 1.2 and I wouldn't buy one on finance.

I can't take a loan out to buy one, because I'm making repayments on one now, so I was wondering if everyone thought it would be worth it to save up and buy one in a few months time?

Thought about a ph1 172? You could probably get one for the same as your 1.2 is worth. Definitely worth waiting a little bit longer if it means less hassle though, impatience can be a b*****d most of the time.

RB 182 cup
Yes definately worth it. Never ever get one on finance...EVER. You can pick up a tidy 172 for around 2500-3000 these days and a tidy 182 for around 5000-6000

From personal experience I'd save up and buy it outright if I was you. Or at least give a month or two in your new job before making any financial commitments.

rps13
172's can have a habit of kicking you in the crotch with a nasty bill at the wrong time, just save.

BMW 323i Coupe
172's can have a habit of kicking you in the crotch with a nasty bill at the wrong time, just save.

What kind of problems?

If I was to get either, it would definitely be through saving, as I wouldn't want to sell my car until after buying another.

320d

Any car can though. If you buy right you can avoid a lot of expensive problems though.

If you buy with FSH and the essential belt changes you've 99% removed one of the biggest causes of a huge bill - a snapped cambelt.

Gearbox's can go however if it feels good then hopefully it should be ok.

Basically if its well serviced etc and not realy badly abused then the likely hood of something is reduced however its always best to have a spare £500 around, which you should always have with a car anyway and by spare I don't mean your holiday money or next months rent etc.

500 Twinair
I would just save for six months and then buy one outright if you can. You can get some decent 172 and cups at the moment for good money.
My mate sold his 53 plate 1.4 clio for 2.5k, for 1.5k more you probably get a nice exampe 172. Just a case of saving and waiting and looking.