ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Upgrade due tomorrow.......

LY 182 FF CUPPED
Guys,guys,guys....
most of you will know me from the photography section, and tbh my subject knowledge on camera's is second to none.

however with phones I am probably like most of your Dads!!!!

I have had a BB Curve for the last 18 months (8900)......love it to bits, why?......."because it just works", but I do find the internet frustrating.
Almost to the point I never use it.
Google maps is great, and has helped me out a few times when lost.

Texting on a BB took a while to get used to, but now I am pretty good at it.

I do own an iPod Touch and use it at home on wifi, sending emails wind me up as my sausage fingers can't quite get to grips with the touchy typey thing, and often find lots of spelling mistakes.

would love to hear the pro's and con's of both phones, in real terms - day to day ownership of both etc etc .

ignore the geeky stuff like battery life, screen res etc etc as I can find that out on line.

I want real life experience's..........

ignoring the cost and tariff issues, which is the right phone for me???
Iphone4
BB Torch

Character profile:
Professional Photographer - aged 35, no need for camera function, but a requirement for emails, text's and calling ability.

regards

Steve

E36 Coupe & Mk4 Golf
I would go for the iphone 4 so so much better than any blackberry! I have a bb bold, should have kept my iphone. :(

LY 182 FF CUPPED
ok.

But how good a step up is the Torch to my old 8900?

I have approx. 14 people on my messenger, which tbh I could quite easily chop 12 off of that list.

Perhaps I am just afraid of jumping to an Iphone??

and to throw into the mix, I am an avid Apple user at home with an iMac and to macbooks.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Don't get a torch. My Bold is a better phone ffs!

iPhones > All and that' from a BB owner.

DB.

BMW 440i
iPhone4.

Best decision you will make.

The blackberry's are just the cheaper/not so good alternatives. (Awaits excuses/reason for bb owners as to why they are greater than iPhones...they're not.)

Ad

MK2 FRS
I have both a iPhone 4 and BB 9780 (i think thats the one) and I would never give up my BB.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Just got an iPhone and I love it so far... I'm actually posting from it now (my god unsound like a bellend) but yeah... They're unreal; everything just works, theres an autocorrect function to avoid spelling mistakes, the keys are large enough to type with ease, it's just an overall amazing gadget. I strongly Reccomend

Bold 9780. I got the 9700 and its pretty sweet but I got my sister the 9780 and its a hell of alot better.

Internet on the Bold's compared to the Curves are no contest tbh.

iPhone...gtfo.....

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Does the 9780 look identical to the 9700? I cant see a different from a few images off a google search.

Steve,

I use a BB 9000 for business abroad, tbh for that purpose it works brilliantly - reading and writing emails is really easy. And obviously it works great as a phone too (something the IP4 isnt too hot on ;))

I have heard some negative stuff about the Torch, have you looked at the other BB models?

LY 182 FF CUPPED
tbh I have not looked at any other BB's, I just assumed the new Torch is the one to go for?

might have a look at the new Bold today too.

SLK 350
Just to throw in some additional reading for you:

Desire HD, though you may struggle with typing if you're used to a hard keyboard.
Desire Z, almost a Desire HD, but with a slide out keyboard.

Both run happily on Android (operating system) and will give you what you need. Both HTC/Apple are easier to get around than BBC OS.

182 Turbo Project
I have a 9700, it is a fantastic phone! Even better with OS6 :). I have had an iPhone, but for my work, I find it easier with the BlackBerry.

LY 182 FF CUPPED
error from O2 - my upgrade is not due for another 48 hours so it seems!!!!

any more persuaders on either operating systems - do add ya ten peneth.

LY 182 FF CUPPED
error from O2 - my upgrade is not due for another 48 hours so it seems!!!!

any more persuaders on either operating systems - do add ya ten peneth.

There is no possible way that you can logically justify that any Android phone is easier to use than an iPhone.

Android may have some benefits but simplicity and ease of use certainly isn't amongst them.

I didnt say it was simpler to use, I implied it was better.

Any phone will 'just work', thats what they do, some better than others though.

I'm not gonna get into an argument with an apple fanyboy though, and I say that as someone who's just spent 2k on a MBP yesterday too!

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
There is no possible way that you can logically justify that any Android phone is easier to use than an iPhone.

Android may have some benefits but simplicity and ease of use certainly isn't amongst them.

I struggle to see how anyone with half a brain would struggle with current Android phones tbh. You turn it on and have a selection of scenes that put a basic half decent layout for everything. Then away you go very much like an iphone only better...;).

Polo + Micra
i have to say after having nokia after nokia i've gone to an android phone i'd never go to anything else

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
If android was as simple to use and a better all rounder than an iphone then it would be the bigger seller.

Fanboys bought iphones, their friends saw how good they actually are, then they also bought an iphone.

Androids may be technically superior, have more megapixels on there shitty phone cams, run slightly faster, be more manly in design, whatever. But the simplicity of the iphone, the way it just works for anyone that wants to use it from the first time they pick it up, and the fact it is so simple to download apps and music, which can then simply be sync'd with itunes and put on ipods etc makes the iphone the best seller.

I have a hater mate, who seems to hate the whole apple thing, but even he got an iphone because, in his words, "its the best all round phone, if you cant beat them, join them"

Same goes for nokia, bb, samsung, if they were better than an iphone then they would have been the big seller. Any big company can market a product well, they just need the product to begin with.

coolspot007007

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon Cupra
Desire HD, especially for those of us with big hands. Can't stand itunes and like a bit of freedom with what I want to do with MY phone so Android seemed the only choice, plus it WILL be cheaper than an iphone. The only problem is O2 are retards and have favoured the Windows mobile phone from HTC (the HD7) so they don't actually do the Desire HD on upgrade as it's a direct competor to windows sales. So you'd have to go with Carphone warehouse/dial a phone and ring customer services to migrate your number.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
If android was as simple to use and a better all rounder than an iphone then it would be the bigger seller.

As with many things I'd say the success is as much down to good advertisement as to how good it is.

Android can be just as easy to use. For example you press internet on the screen and the internet pops up! Drag a folder of music across from the computer to Android and its all there.... The difference is the Android gives you more options/customization to play with if you want to but it's still piss easy to use/work if you don't want to.
It's pretty much as easy to use as iphone.

182 Turbo Project
I personally think it is down to the amount of advertising the iPhone has had, it has sort of brainwashed people into the 'I must have an iPhone' mentality. But, at the end of the day, it is all down to personal preference. We could debate all day about what phone you should upgrade to etc, but it is personal. You need to be happy with the phone, not get it because the members on CS say you should!

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Its not like the people behind andoid couldn't have promoted it better? As well as google there are some big companies behind it.

Other phones might appear to be as easy to use as the iphone but thats because everyone on here is technically minded. Hand one to my parents or grandparents and they need simplicity, the iphone offers this. Itunes is a great example, auto syncing, easy to import, easy to buy songs, its simple. The software has awful sides to it, like the import format default, but most people dont care.

I'm not saying the iphone is the best technical phone, i dont believe it is myself, but its a smartphone which has separated itself from the geeks and being simple to use for the general idiots was the first step, its what apple do best.

Mountune Tractor
Android is pants, used it for the last 12 months and I'm not that impressed to be honest. Will be going to iPhone in 6 months time.