ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

unusually loud turbo whistle....

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
hi all, something happened last night to my dci whilst on a spirited drive. 3rd gear going into the boost range and a little ' pisssssssh ' noise followed by loud boost noises. in other words, on idle you can only just hear the whistle but when the boost racks up the whistle gets louded until turbo is at maximum psi.
whistle noise still happens but power is only a tad lower than usuall, still pulls on boost but not as it did.

now, i had all the boost pipes off for inspection but no splits in any. also replaced every jub clip with new ones and tightened down securly.
then went on to check the waste gate to see if its venting off accessive boost but the rod isnt moving ( unless they dont on dci 80 turbos )

FYI turbo cannot be blown as the noise only happens on spool up and there is NO smoke out the back other than usuall diesel sutt.

did take it to renault in hinckley but the tards there presume my turbo has had it. but they got rather confused with the lack of white/blue smoke to idicate turbo failure.

anybody in the know how?

Thats a weird one as you have checked all boost pipes, i got thae same noise on the 100 when the jubilee clip give up! whats the condition of the intercooler and the spouts where the boost pipes attach? they can split

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
cooler is aprox 2k miles old. all the rubber gaskets that fit bettween the cooler pipe ( spouts ) and plastic boost pipes is in good condition. pipes have nothing on them.

honestly cannot find the leak anywhere, its just whilstling like a jet on boost. can i find the leak by taking pipes off idividually and submerge them in water, squeaz and see if they have tiny holes?

172 turbo 'cup'
Check bolts are tight between turbo and manifold mine whistled like hell when one snapped not a dci though but worth having a look anyway to rule it out

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
Get some to hold the revs on 3000rpm and get your head in there.

tried that, neither me or my mate could find the exact location, im slightly deaf and he's not the best at helping.

Check bolts are tight between turbo and manifold mine whistled like hell when one snapped not a dci though but worth having a look anyway to rule it out

havent checked that, will look at that late, with the other checks on the list i have.

Did you check for shaft play on the turbo mate?

no play what so ever mate, sits straight and true no play at all. altho looking at the turbo, the waste gate actuator bar is stuck solid, doesnt even move when throttle let off, to vent excess boost.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
You're lucky that 100shot of NOS didn't blow the welds on the intake...

fast_and_the_furious_5_vin_diesel.jpg

Seriously though, you've got a leak somewhere. Check the manifold/turbo gaskets and the full pipework/FMIC. The waste gate does open on the small dCi turbo but it takes a fair bit of effort to manually actuate them.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Also, the waste gate won't open/close whilst giving it beans at idle.

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
pipes all off the car, all been pressure checked twice now and no leaks. turbo intercooler also been checked, only thing noticed is a small amount of oil in everything, which i pressume is alright.

turbo and mani is off the car no, looking at it into more detail.

I've got exactly the same noise you describe, on a 1.5 dCi Megane Scenic.

Would be great if you can let me know if you fixed it, or if I fix it first..I'll be sure to post about it ;-)

Cheers