ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Unsure if this is good..

2nd Black 1.2
D9A60DE2-86C6-4044-9B74-ADD224EE0785-742-00000044063B02FD.jpg

6E7DA52A-3837-476E-B666-96E023ABBDD6-742-000000440BFB62F0.jpg

is that alot of dirt for the very first time the car was clayed?

thats after Tar and Sap remover and snowfoam/rinse

cheeky snaps after the session to let you see how clean it was :eek:

C3B2D955-5567-4C45-A596-6EE3AFEAF057-742-0000004416FCC2A2.jpg

643E1422-2F25-44DF-B918-6C77699B4F0E-742-000000442DE80236.jpg

^^ a few imperfections but minimal swirl :)

Not particularly. Did you reform the clay once it was dirty? It just looks like sap to me.

You need to use more lube. Although that might explain why you have a lot of holograms/clay marring in the last photo!

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Use a watery shampoo mix or quick detailed sprayed over part of the panel you're working the clay over. That way you're not rubbing dirt imbedded in the clay back over the panel, and will stop it from sticking or catching on the paint. As said keep refolding the clay to create a clean face, once it's all pretty dirty discard and use a clean peace

Typically a good wash, tar remover and then iron remover will cut a lot of the dirt you pick up from claying, then keep it sealed or waxed to cut down on further bonded contaminants in the future

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Now Keg, be careful with that, you shouldn't be pointing out to him a proper wash and decontamination stage would have removed the majority of that dirt before clay touched it

And that's a professional detailer!

Also, Keg, brilliant. Forgotten about that!

Last edited by a moderator:
  Golf GT & A4 Avant
Not seen clay like that since I sorted out my wash stages. But I reckon it would have saved him time using tar and iron removers first and rinsing instead of working the clay like that. Must have taken him ages to fully clean the panel with clay alone

I'd forgotten about Keg too, but felt he needed to be reigned in a little before another CS thread is posted up

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
Now Keg, be careful with that, you shouldn't be pointing out to him a proper wash and decontamination stage would have removed the majority of that dirt before clay touched it

I tried getting this point accross on an MX-5 forum with little success :|

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Meh, clay everything. It removes tar and tree sap in one go, no need for all these separate cleaning solutions

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
The amount of damage i managed to do after reading through all the pro detailing threads on DW and simply claying and thinking it was good to have a big block of dirt is unreal.

Luckly a few decent detailers both on here and DW shave showed me (and im sure others) the error of their ways.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Dave i'm passed caring now. Not one person on there pro or user mentioned anything about that claybar. That to me says all I need to know about where DW is now.

I feel sorry for it, I love the place but you only need to look at the people who don't post anymore to see what has happened. I seen a user tell an admin/moderator member not to put MF's on the floor before using them. They were rolled up and the edges were on the floor. Really!

Anyway this is still a favourite of mine...

emyda3av.jpg

The detailing industry ladies and gentleman.

172 cup
that is a big piece of clay, i always cut the clay soo its about the same size as a house hold plug face ( sorry thats the only thing i could think of) and if you use quick detailer or certain solutions, DONT!! waste of money just use water, the clay does the water, water lubricates the clay, start from top and work ur way down, use loads of water and dry as you go along, and i always do 1 section at a time, get this right and use a nice a polish and wax and sealent and you wont have to worry about your paintwork for a good 3-6 months!! get that paintwork feeling like polished glass :Dgood luck

Golf GT & A4 Avant
I didn't look through the replies to start with, then went back in to see if anyone had asked the question. I want to but I can imagine the response.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I didn't look through the replies to start with, then went back in to see if anyone had asked the question. I want to but I can imagine the response.

I remember asking the question a while back to a pro. Zero de-tarring although the bar wasn't quite as bad. I'll try and find it later. I can't remember his excuse.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Flol at some of that clay! I dislike DW. Signed up and wished I hadn't bothered.

2nd Black 1.2
Use a watery shampoo mix or quick detailed sprayed over part of the panel you're working the clay over. That way you're not rubbing dirt imbedded in the clay back over the panel, and will stop it from sticking or catching on the paint. As said keep refolding the clay to create a clean face, once it's all pretty dirty discard and use a clean peace

Typically a good wash, tar remover and then iron remover will cut a lot of the dirt you pick up from claying, then keep it sealed or waxed to cut down on further bonded contaminants in the future

gotcha! thanks alot guys :)