ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Uniroyal RS3

Monaco 172
I fitted the Uniroyals after so many good reviews from people on here and largely I've been really happy with them, but they are pretty bad in this cold weather - TC light always flashing at me pulling out of junctions and when giving it wellie in a straight line for the last few mornings, admittedly I haven't checked the tread recently :kissingsmiling:

Depending on mileage you do in the car the Uniroyal is a good tyre (for me) - I don't commute in mine so wear rate isn't a huge issue, but if you're a spirited driver using it daily I would say look at another tyre.

PH2 172
I honestly don't see the point in running RS3's for 6k miles when you could just get a premium tyre like the conti and have them last twice as long and they are better in every single department and don't cost double the RS3.

You may not see the point, but I have reached a conclusion having run the 3 leading contenders, namely Ps3`s, Contisports & RS3`s on the same 172 for 4 years & over 30,000 miles use on the same roads, summer & winter.

I picked up the car with good tread depth Contisport2`s on the front, which ticked a box on purchase, and it soon became apparent that if you planted your foot at 4000 rpm in 1st gear they would spin up rather than grip, even in the dry. Though Winter, ambient temperatures were around 10 degrees C.

The Conti`s got moved to the rear, where they soldiered on for another 20,000 miles without giving cause for complaint, but if you read what I posted (38) above, a pair of RS3`s I moved from front to back, covered 8,000 miles with negligible wear.

I cannot comment on how long the Conti`s would have lasted if left on the front, but given the above, I have no great reason to suspect any longer than the 8,000 miles that the PS3`s that replaced them did.
Anyway, they may be a Premium tyre to you, but they didn`t cut it for grip in my experience.

The PS3`s, once the release agent had worn off, were immense, I could not get them to light up wet or dry using the same 1st gear criteria, unless temperatures were around zero.
Their stability crossing standing water was excellent, probably better than the RS3`s, though it`s not something I would want to willingly experiment with.
As I said, 8,000 miles and they were down to the legal limit, and on removal, it was apparent that a session at Llandow had damaged the carcass of the NSF.

And so onto RS3`s.
The woes of wear rate I have commented on in post 38, but in every other respect, I am confident in that they are the equal of the PS3`s, wet or dry.
Grip in damp conditions, I don`t mean wet, remains confidence inspiring due to the soft compound, the pay off being wear rate.
As others have said, grip drops off in Zero temperatures, as it does with all summer tyres.

I hope you find this a balanced view, not a brief impression gained when I drove a mates Golf home on a freezing day and they were dog shite.

And then onto price, currently 08/02/2018. Like for like, all, all XL & 195/45R16 from Camskills site today, I/c Vat, per tyre.

Michelin PS3 £79.70

Contisport Contact3 £74.15

Rainsport 3 £50.95

Not double, but on a price/miles ratio, the Rainsport seems to be edging ahead.
The top 2, a 25% increase in mileage, for a 50% increase in price, and the Conti with a grip level that does not match the Michelin or Uniroyal.

Obviously, this is based on my experiences, and my driving style, and peculiar to my 172, and other`s may have had different experiences.

DECLARATION: I do not work for or sell Uniroyal tyres.
:tongueout::smile:

PH2 172
I fitted the Uniroyals after so many good reviews from people on here and largely I've been really happy with them, but they are pretty bad in this cold weather - TC light always flashing at me pulling out of junctions and when giving it wellie in a straight line for the last few mornings, admittedly I haven't checked the tread recently :kissingsmiling:

Depending on mileage you do in the car the Uniroyal is a good tyre (for me) - I don't commute in mine so wear rate isn't a huge issue, but if you're a spirited driver using it daily I would say look at another tyre.

Switch it off.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
I think you lot are running way too low PSI in your RS3 tyres.

I run them on my Ibiza, have the fronts near 45psi and they're doing well.
None of this rubbish wearing out at 6K miles either, changed my rears 12-15K ago and there's still tons of meat left on them.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Yeah pressures need to be up.

I checked the pressures on the Avon’s. Went for 33/31, think I set them at 32/32 last time. Wether placebo it doesn’t feel as good

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
I think you lot are running way too low PSI in your RS3 tyres.

I run them on my Ibiza, have the fronts near 45psi and they're doing well.
None of this rubbish wearing out at 6K miles either, changed my rears 12-15K ago and there's still tons of meat left on them.

Sure you're meant to run them that high?

Most tyres in these sizes are rated to 40psi.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Makes a difference, along with ambient temperature.

Does the outside temperate, let’s say it 4 degrees have a negative effect over say a warm day at 13 degrees when inflating tyres?

Always wondered this steve.

PH2 172
Does the outside temperate, let’s say it 4 degrees have a negative effect over say a warm day at 13 degrees when inflating tyres?

Always wondered this steve.

Ambient temperature is the outside temperature.
But yes you should take temperature into account.
I`m not sure how often you check your pressure`s, but lets say once a month.
If you adjust your front cold tyre pressures today Thursday 8/02/18 with the tyre and air temperature at 4 degrees C to 33 psi, and check them again in 4 weeks on 08/03/18, when hopefully the air temperature will be 18 degrees C, they will be overinflated, probably around 37 psi and you will you need to let some air out to get back to 33psi
Like thrust angles, you could take this to extremes, but checking pressures when ambient temperatures increase/decrease by 10 degrees would seem a better idea than a periodic adjustment.

You may not see the point, but I have reached a conclusion having run the 3 leading contenders, namely Ps3`s, Contisports & RS3`s on the same 172 for 4 years & over 30,000 miles use on the same roads, summer & winter.

I picked up the car with good tread depth Contisport2`s on the front, which ticked a box on purchase, and it soon became apparent that if you planted your foot at 4000 rpm in 1st gear they would spin up rather than grip, even in the dry. Though Winter, ambient temperatures were around 10 degrees C.

The Conti`s got moved to the rear, where they soldiered on for another 20,000 miles without giving cause for complaint, but if you read what I posted (38) above, a pair of RS3`s I moved from front to back, covered 8,000 miles with negligible wear.

I cannot comment on how long the Conti`s would have lasted if left on the front, but given the above, I have no great reason to suspect any longer than the 8,000 miles that the PS3`s that replaced them did.
Anyway, they may be a Premium tyre to you, but they didn`t cut it for grip in my experience.

The PS3`s, once the release agent had worn off, were immense, I could not get them to light up wet or dry using the same 1st gear criteria, unless temperatures were around zero.
Their stability crossing standing water was excellent, probably better than the RS3`s, though it`s not something I would want to willingly experiment with.
As I said, 8,000 miles and they were down to the legal limit, and on removal, it was apparent that a session at Llandow had damaged the carcass of the NSF.

And so onto RS3`s.
The woes of wear rate I have commented on in post 38, but in every other respect, I am confident in that they are the equal of the PS3`s, wet or dry.
Grip in damp conditions, I don`t mean wet, remains confidence inspiring due to the soft compound, the pay off being wear rate.
As others have said, grip drops off in Zero temperatures, as it does with all summer tyres.

I hope you find this a balanced view, not a brief impression gained when I drove a mates Golf home on a freezing day and they were dog shite.

And then onto price, currently 08/02/2018. Like for like, all, all XL & 195/45R16 from Camskills site today, I/c Vat, per tyre.

Michelin PS3 £79.70

Contisport Contact3 £74.15

Rainsport 3 £50.95

Not double, but on a price/miles ratio, the Rainsport seems to be edging ahead.
The top 2, a 25% increase in mileage, for a 50% increase in price, and the Conti with a grip level that does not match the Michelin or Uniroyal.

Obviously, this is based on my experiences, and my driving style, and peculiar to my 172, and other`s may have had different experiences.

DECLARATION: I do not work for or sell Uniroyal tyres.
:tongueout::smile:
In short my view is the RS3's are good in the wet, above average in the dry but will roll over and pi$$ all over themselves when really pushed, wear rate is the worst of any tyre I've ever used including track tyres, the jelly sidewalls give no feedback to the driver what so ever, when cold they are lethal! IMO they are a budget tyre that is good in the wet.

My review comes from using 4 x 225/40/18 on a lardy Mondeo ST with rotation <9k miles before at the wear indicators, used on the motorway 90% of the time with an average speed of 30mph over those 9k miles and 4 x 195/50/15 on the Clio for track commuting and wet weather with rotation <3k miles before at the wear indicators.

With this I would say my point is just as valid as yours?

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Sure you're meant to run them that high?
Most tyres in these sizes are rated to 40psi.

I`m not sure if you are serious, but if it`s meant to be a joke, it is one of the most irresponsible posts I have read on here.

They tyres don't actually have a max pressure rating on the sidewall, all that is said is:
"when installing tyre on rim do not exceed 40psi to seat the bead"

Maybe 40psi is max?
Might knock a few psi out of my tyres 🙈

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
They still look soft and deflated at 35/36 psi (on my car) to be fair, only the fronts obviously.

PH2 172
In short my view is the RS3's are good in the wet, above average in the dry but will roll over and pi$$ all over themselves when really pushed, wear rate is the worst of any tyre I've ever used including track tyres, the jelly sidewalls give no feedback to the driver what so ever, when cold they are lethal! IMO they are a budget tyre that is good in the wet.

My review comes from using 4 x 225/40/18 on a lardy Mondeo ST with rotation <9k miles before at the wear indicators, used on the motorway 90% of the time with an average speed of 30mph over those 9k miles and 4 x 195/50/15 on the Clio for track,commuting and wet weather with rotation <3k miles before at the wear indicators.

With this I would say my point is just as valid as yours?

Fair enough.

The focus of the discussion is 172/182 tyres for enthusiastic ROAD use, so how they perform on anything else does not concern me.
If anyone has a MK3 197/200 then PS4`s are a no brainer, but as they are not available in 15/16`s, we have to make the best of what is available.

By the same token, track performance is irrelevant as there are far more suitable tyres for dry use, and @Tony Hunter has confirmed that R1R `s are preferable as wets.
I suspect this is because they have a larger contact patch and are very soft compared to RS33`s, so retaining some heat.

I remarked on carcase damage to the PS3 I encountered caused by roll over, and as the load rating of both the RS3 & PS3 is 84V, and that of the Contisport 3 is 80V, roll over and lack of feel is a characteristic of all three, that can be countered with 3 or 4 extra psi.

The wear rate is acceptable to me personally, and over an annual road mileage of 8,000, translates as £10 a month.
If this is not acceptable to some people, then they have been warned.

At the top end of competition, tyres will last a 15 lap race, hopefully.
I`m sure RS3`s do not fall into this category.

182cup & 172 racecar
Yes, longevity isn' a consideration for my appliction , just grip.
And yes they do warm in the wet, infact they come in with steam coming off them.

2004 Racing Blue 182
May have opened a can of worms hear guys, apologies :grin:

What pressures should they bee running at? 31-33??

PH2 172
May have opened a can of worms hear guys, apologies :grin:

What pressures should they bee running at? 31-33??

I run mine at 33 front, 31 rear set at ambient temperature, as per Renault recommendation.
If you carry rear passengers or a load in the back for long trip, set at 35 front/38 rear.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Exactly, everybody talks as though they're taking the Nurburgring to work!

"Ask any commuter, any REAL commuter..........."

e938fda29b538ddb8d2d23b329ea9dbb.jpg

Just done Oulton on AD08R'S in the wet and it was very cold and they were brilliant. The difference to the likes of RS3'S is that once a dry line appeared i could just keep going without worrying about melting them.

For a road tyre only though i wouldn't recommend as they do struggling in the cold without a bit of heat in them.