ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

unhappy with engine on start up (belt)

I recently had a new water pump fitted, although its all working fine whenever my car is started from cold though there is this horrible squeeking/ chirping it sounds like a belt is slipping. Ive had it back in the garage recently for a winter service and a couple of other things and i did mention it to the garage then and they have had a listen and checked the belt and they say they dont no why its doing it because the belt is on tight enough and its in good condition but im sure its only just started after the water pump was fitted or it could be the cold, its pissing me off its just one thing after another with this car. could it be the water pump itself? shorly something can be done?? It sounds terrible.......:(

possibly misalighnment of teh pulleys, as belt tension could be fine but its rubbing on the wrong part of the pulley......apart from that.....no idea

my car is the same, usually when cold it squeaks away! got the alternator belt changed but its still squeaking. possible its the power steering belt but i dunno???

isnt it just one belt does everything on the 16v water pump power sterring pump etc maybe it is just the cold it just sounds horrible goes within a few moments though......

My 16v does that as well and I remember previous posts about this, think they all to it from time to time, and changing the belt doesnt seem to always get rid of it. When mine first started doing it I started on changing the belt, only to notice that the alternator had lost a nut, and was a little loose. Sorted that and put old belt on as I thought that was the problem, and not the belt, squek dissappeared for a while, and I thought that was it. However a month later it started again, so this time I changed the belt. However from time to time it rears its head again. To shut it up, I keep a can of WD40 in the car, every time it starts squeking, I spray a little round the belt area, and it instantly dissappears. I have stopped worrying and trying to fix it, and just give a wee spray when it comes back. Have a spare new belt, which I am going to stick on when I can be arsed , but I aint confident I will get rid of it by doing this. Dont know if any of that is of any use, rwaterman, but try a it to yours and see, wont do any harm.

Alex M

mines the same age (m-reg) with 84k miles, what have you done mileage wise with your 16v. Pretty sure its a 16v quirk, as I dont remember hearing of any RTs, 172 etc, just valvers and willys

Alex M

Alex M mine has done 76k did it stop come summer time? I dont think i could put up with it all year round! this will be the first winter ive had with the car and its only started d0oing it recently since its been really cold. I had the new water pump fitted a couple of months ago and its done it since that was fitted like i said though it does die down quite soon after starting and it doesnt do it when i start to drive......

ROB.

I tried the wd40 idea didnt work very well, it got on to the belt a made it slip through all gears, gone now though. It sounds different than that could it be the water pump anyone no what noises these make? i no theere not meant to make noises which if it is this im gonna have to take it back???!!!!!

Rob

Clio 172 Cup, Eunos

Mines the same too! (95 m reg) - Happens when its cold and wet mostly and when the engine is cold. Got told its one of the pulleys, cos its a one belt does all type ting, mine started after i had the timing belt changed at 70k...

It goes after a while, when the engine is warm, but it sounds like a feckin diesel at first! - mines off in the garage next thurs for some bits and bats doing...gonna see what the mechanic says about it, if its worth replacing the pulleys, and how much it would be...

ExigeV6|Q5|DS3|Fiat

This DID happen to me:

I changed the FAN BELT and it went completely

no squeeks now!

Same with me: I used to use WD40 to shut it up, then I just changed the belt and voila! No more sqeaking!

Not the simplest of jobs though. Haynes say to do it by undoing the adjuster pulley - I did it by taking off the alternator.

Clio 172 cup

WD 40 is not really the best thing to use as it can cause the belt to slip. I have the exactly same problem with mine and Ive tried hundreds of different things to stop the stupid squeaking sound, and Ive found that the best thing to use is TYRE CHALK!! its not actually chalk but thats what its called, its more like a big block of yellow crayon. you will have probably seen guys using it at tyre fitting stations eg ATS. for marking on inner tubes where the punture is and stuff like that!. Anyway just rub a bit of this on the grooved side of the belt and the squeaking will go away, you will need some long nose pliers to hold the chalk under the belt as theres not enough room to get your hand down!

hope this helps!

Jim

my valver has done 69k and mine has just started to recently make this annoying noise when the engine is cold. its coming from the fan belt part so i bought the belt about a month ago but havent got round to give it to the garage to fix, more like need some cash to give to them!

When i bought the car back in march i had cambelt and fan belt both replaced at the same time and it hasnt done it up untill i had the water pump changed. It started off with a gradual churp and now since its got a lot colder its turned into the horrid screech which i hear everytime the car is started from virtual to complete cold.... Why would this have started to happen after the water pump? I know they would have taken all the belts off to do this job, but they have lokked at it since and the belt is in good condition and is tight enough, would the belt need replacing again??

ROB

AKAIK on my RT there are two belts, one over the alternator and one on the power steering. The fan is electric. I recently replaced the alternator belt, but still get squeaking when cold. Im guessing its the power steering belt so im going to have to change that as well now :(

WD40 is making a mess of that side of engine bay (at least its protected from rotting) in my valver. Taken it off the road last night cause it needs a few things done - aux belt, front fog inoperative, might put braided hoses on back (looks hasslesome, front one were), few wee paint spots, little bit of rust appeared on back arch, anti roll bar bushes (struggling to find, especailly uprated - any suggestions) and other wee bits and bobs. Got my mates astra diesel estate (unbelievably dead, really really slow) for a week or so lend. Anyway this is my last effort at aux belt, as mine hardly squeks that often, and it is a pain to change, so if this dont fix it, it can squeek for the rest of its days.

Alex M