ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Uneven tyre wear / skittish handling - top mounts?

Ph2 172 Black Pearl
Car has been skittish on handling, but only at low speed since I have owned it (Nov) and have previously had it checked which revealed nothing obvious amiss so have lived with it rather unhappily however. To give a bit more detail it just feels like the steering wants to do its own thing, nothing dangerous, but annoying, and as I said only at low town speeds.

put it on a mates lift today and found that both front tyres are really badly worn, almost like a grove cut into the very inner 1CM of each front tyre (they were getting near wear marks so no harm done). They definately aren't catching on anything by the way.

i am now thinking that the tracking/toe/camber is horribly out which has also been causing the skittishness if it just riding on that very inner tyre edge. I have booked into a local shop who do lazer alignment of all tracking / camber / toe in. They did a friends car with great results and a computer print out record of before / after. Obviously I am going to get new tyres first.

that all being said I am wondering if my own diagnosis is wrong? In short I am wondering if it could be the top mounts? They look fine and seem to work fine, but what am l looking for if they are bad? What would the symptoms be?

Any advice gratefully received!

Ph2 172 Black Pearl
Wheel alignment I'd say.
Thanks for reply James.

Just a quick interim update. I replaced the front tyres today, ready for its alignment check tomorrow. The tyres were sh*te anyhow (Millienium's??) but I'm glad I did as yesterday I had missed that there were two small patches (chunks missing) on the O/S tyrewhere the cord was exposed along that inner worn band. The garage fitting the new tyres (a mate) spun the offending wheel up on the balancer and you could see that it was all over the show with an egg on the inner wall adjacent to one bald spot.

Just with new tyres fitted (Uniroyals) the car is transformed and the skittishness is gone. Obviously I'm not going to drive far and will still get the alignment check done tomorrow just in case. The tyres obviously haven't been that bad all of this time so there is still something amiss.

Probably goes to show that you shouldnt skimp on tyres! Will post update tomorrow.