ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Uneven Top Mounts - Solution?

Clio
Hi

Unfortunately the issue has resurfaced with very few miles having been put on the car (sub 1k). Replacing the struts did not resolve.

Not sure what the cause is.

Thanks,

Clio
Hi everyone,

As a final last resort I thought I would get some top mounts from RPD. Fitted them and after a run around the block, the mounts are sitting as good as they did when I first got the car (i.e. correctly).

If it remains like this, then there are "OEM" rubber doughnuts in the market which are not to the same spec as those you get from the Renault dealer!

I hope this is useful for anyone else who experiences the same headache as I have had on this. Here's hoping it's finally resolved once and for all.

Thanks for all your help guys.

Clio 182
I've never been happy with the fit of my top mounts either. Mine slightly uneven also.
I was more worried about the " slack " I had causing axle tramp like sensations in the wet sometimes.

I replaced with new Febi top mounts with original Renault spacer nuts a few years ago, but the gap didn't really change. Was maybe 12mm of gap between car body and cap on top. Suspension would seem to feel a bit loose at the top and rattle about.
I've just replaced the dampers with 172 cup ones (exactly same as what was installed actually) and Cooksport springs, and the gap is less now, (maybe 10mm) (I have a 182 non cup pack car with 54mm damper bolt spacing.

MOT actually says it's an advisory! "MacPherson strut pin or bush worn but not resulting in excessive movement (top mount)"

It's like the big rubber donut needs to be slightly larger to fill out space under the car strut space.
Was thinking maybe some thick rubber cut to size placed over existing Febi donut would take up that slack and improve things.