ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

UCH Versions...

Audi (R)S2, 1.6 16v
I have an N3 V5.2 UCH and I'm looking to replace it. Can I use any V5 UCH or does it have to be specifically an N3 V5.2? I have seen V5.5 and a few others.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
The software version will not matter - If you have an 'N3' you should not use a lower model such as 'N2' as some features will not work (such as auto-lighting, cruise control). Renault now only supply 'N3' units as they can be configured as an 'N2' so fitting a new 'N3' will see you right.

You know they're not interchangeable between vehicles though yeah due to vehicle specific security coding?

Mick

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Just wanted to make sure as some people sill don't then wonder why the red LED flashes them to death.

Yep, an 'N3 vX.XX' will work on any X65 requiring an 'N3' level (or lower) controller as you can configure them to turn off certain features if they're not needed. I personally hate auto-wipers so always reconfigure them to give me traditional timed intermittent wipe.

Audi (R)S2, 1.6 16v
I see that as well as N1, N2, N3, there are also BG and HG versions. Is there a guide as to what features each of these has over the last?

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Renault used to make three specs for the phase 2 vehicles... N1 - N3. N1 was obviously fitted to base spec car/van derivatives and most had N2 or N3 depending on them needing the additional inputs for rain & light sensors. They finally did away with it though and now just supply N3 as they're reverse compatible.

The 2001/51 plate older/initial phase 2 vehicles (sometimes referred to as phase 1B's) used the BG/HG versions which were anyones guess as (and I think I've got this the correct way round) the BG could not run Cruise Control but did the auto shiz and the HG I *believe* was the cruise variant (Not that I've ever seen a 1B with cruise control).

Fit an N3 to the lot and it works lol

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Its a French concept ith German made boards so logic means nothing lolz

Audi (R)S2, 1.6 16v
So bought an N3 V5.5 and swapped the immobiliser chip over. Car starts and runs and all functions appear to work correctly, which is a result for sure. Only issue is that the key fobs only lock the car and won't unlock it... Tried a couple of the key synchronisation guides with no luck so far... Any ideas? Is there a method to re-learn keys on a PH.2?

Audi (R)S2, 1.6 16v
Yup.

I remember reading about a similar issue in a post of yours.

If needs be, I'll just find an identical UCH to my original and swap the chip over. Might also copy the chip while it's off, for safe keeping too; new chip is <£10 off eBay if I get stuck.

Audi (R)S2, 1.6 16v
Having checked out the boards, they are, as far as I can tell, electrically identical for the CL relay, so I decided that as I have another N3 UCH on the way (which has arrived :) and is a V5.2 but an A part number, not a B...) that I would go for gold and see if I could get the V5.5 working with the central locking in my car. After looking at the boards, I found that the biggest chip on there is helpfully printed with the version number, so I took a brave pill (aka a bacon and egg sandwich with a cup of tea) and decided to swap the chips over. Officially quite a fiddly job and not one that I would do again in a hurry without the potential of saving quite a few £££ or earning beer. Not only are they difficult to get off the coard without knocking some other component but soldering them back on was a bit of a 'mare and I had to use a scalpel to make sure that none of the contacts were bridged, as it was the only thing small enough.

Anyway, I put the updated UCH in the car and all the functions appear to work fine and more importantly, no clicking relays or flashing lights. Next step, I tried the keys but nothing happened, so I turned on the ignition, pressed the unlock button, had some beeps and flashes on the dash / indicatores and a few variations thereof and hey presto, the car locks and unlocks just fine on the key and the button.

Here are a few ideas as to why this may have worked:

- The chip on my board is configured to my car and if I had clip, I could have reconfigured the V5.5 one (I have a spare to test this theory on).
- The chip firmware / hardware are in fact different and should be swapped over.
- The CL on the cars are different (one has a +/- pulse, one is just a ground for the alarm?).
- It's just French so stop trying to understand it.

So far, I'd say that replacing a UCH for £30 and about an hour of my own time is a bit of a win. We'll ignore the 20+ hours of investigation when I thought it was the 40 way plug... Watch this space for it all to go wrong though, as 10 year old French electrics don't tend to play ball...

Last edited:
  Clio 1.2 Dynamique
I have a N3 and it says C V5.2... Does it have to be the same number? (P8200272302A)

Audi (R)S2, 1.6 16v
Fair play. I didn't have success with a V5.5 but as above, it could be a configuration issue.

What's wrong with yours?

Clio 1.2 Dynamique
Anything from random clicking to no functions... Going to take it out tomorrow and clean all the connections etc.. Have you managed to fix yours yet then?

Audi (R)S2, 1.6 16v
I got a working replacement and swapped over the security chip. Fairly easy job for an auto electrician, or DIY if you're confident with such things.

CC
Hi Folks,
i have a 2002 clio 2 (1.2) with a failed uch...left indicator always on. The part is P8200272302 UCH-N3.
I have found a used replacement with part number the same but with A at the end.......will this work ok after cloning the eeprom over?
Do the part numbers have to be identical? whats the difference between the type 1 and 2, A & B?
Or can i just use any part number N3 and reconfig with Clip?

Whilst playing with clip in the UCH module.....there is an option to erase the config data completely?.......does this return it to factory state?, so it can be recoded to a different car? (bit like opels & some others......you divorce the module from the car)
Thanks

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
New ones aren't that expensive. £130 incl vat for the last one I bought and £20 to code it.

CC
small 8 leg eeprom soc package.
Uch controls body related functions.....lights, locking etc
By ecu i'm guessing the engine management?.......the name says what it 'does on the tin'
Hope this helps?
p.s. renault price quote for a new uch was about £265 + testing, fitting and programming.

Audi (R)S2, 1.6 16v
I would have to guess that the Engine and / or ABS ECU controls cruise, as it needs to regulate throttle angle with feedback from road speed.
UCH does all the lights, wipers, locking etc.

Security chip has 93C66 written on it, 8 legs, as stated above. Best of luck, hope it works for you.

Audi (R)S2, 1.6 16v
Sure thing. I used a heat gun an really carefully applied heat to the area until the chip slid off. Make sure it's all level and that you don't knock it! Otherwise, you're in the cack. Top tip - take several really good pictures of the board before you start, so you can rebuild it, if necessary - I had to do this on an early test board after removing the 40 pin plug with a little bit too much heat! All worked in the end, which totally amazed me but the UCH was the wron version, so it would only lock :(

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
Well hopefully as it's the original uch to the car all should come back working, I have issues with the alarm now as it constantly thinks the boot is open. So I'm going to try my original uch with the security chip that matches the ecu that's currently fitted. I might regain the alarm that way, possibly not my lost cruise control though

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
image.jpg

Audi (R)S2, 1.6 16v
The boot is a really common problem - the 'cam' that operates the microswitch wears and doesn't actuate the microswitch far enough. You can disconnect it or superglue a slither of thin plastic on to the face (is used 2 layers of insulation tape) and it fixed it. That was 3 years ago.

Renault used to make three specs for the phase 2 vehicles... N1 - N3. N1 was obviously fitted to base spec car/van derivatives and most had N2 or N3 depending on them needing the additional inputs for rain & light sensors. They finally did away with it though and now just supply N3 as they're reverse compatible.

The 2001/51 plate older/initial phase 2 vehicles (sometimes referred to as phase 1B's) used the BG/HG versions which were anyones guess as (and I think I've got this the correct way round) the BG could not run Cruise Control but did the auto shiz and the HG I *believe* was the cruise variant (Not that I've ever seen a 1B with cruise control).

Fit an N3 to the lot and it works lol

I appreciate this is an old post.

Mick can the auto wipers but turned off with CLIP so that the wiper stalk is used as the intermittent time version instead?

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
It's not quite that simple, you need to configure the Light and Rain sensor options but if you have one and it's plugged in the UCH will see it and turn your Serv light on to warn you of a configuration error

R5 GTT
Ok opening an old post I have a friend's car down my yard to which I have done a clutch replacement. The car came in with a dash like a Xmas tree. I have renault clip and have sorted the airbag light issue. But he apparently swapped the ecu, uch etc... For one from another car that had ESP, he's car does not have this I am unable to find anything on clip that will allow me to disable or deactivate ESP option.

Any advice?

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Clio touran and a4
hello
have a nightmare with a uch n3 2000 1.2 8v (grandads car)
i have found one matching numbers all except the date and number above it serial number i guess, hoping to get immobiliser removed from the ech but
i have found a complete set on ebay keys ecu uch and transponder ring but its an n2 is it worth a try swapping it and hopefully it starts the car and most electrics work
any thoughts please and advice much sort
jeff