ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ubuntu?

I've downloaded this but would like a bit of clarification before I install it.

I've been a windows user since 1993! and for the reason I'm wary of making a switch. What will Ubuntu not let me do that I do with Vista? Me and my girlfriend only use Vista for Internet, Downloads, Itunes, Occasional Movies, and storage of pictures...Oh andthe occasional gameof football manager.

Is Ubuntu alot quicker?
Will it play football manager?
Will my girlfriend hate it???

I tried a copy of Xp lite SP3 yesterday and that was lightening quick but it didnt have wireless support on it...seeing as I don't have a copy of Xp, nor do I have the genious to make my own lite version I've possibly given up with that idea.

SY

Titanium 182

I've been a windows user since 1993! and for the reason I'm wary of making a switch. What will Ubuntu not let me do that I do with Vista? Me and my girlfriend only use Vista for Internet, Downloads, Itunes, Occasional Movies, and storage of pictures...Oh andthe occasional gameof football manager.

Is Ubuntu alot quicker? - yes
Will it play football manager? - probably but you will most likely need to download something to make it work
Will my girlfriend hate it??? - Probably because it will mean a female learning how to use something new.

I tried a copy of Xp lite SP3 yesterday and that was lightening quick but it didnt have wireless support on it...seeing as I don't have a copy of Xp, nor do I have the genious to make my own lite version I've possibly given up with that idea.

SY

Last edited:
  Shed.
lol good answers.

I have Ubuntu installed on t'other hard drive, but i dont use it, because it aint windows and i find it scary.

I am very tempted to go and use it properly though, reason being, windows is meh compared to most linux based OS's.

Titanium 182
lol good answers.

I have Ubuntu installed on t'other hard drive, but i dont use it, because it aint windows and i find it scary.

I am very tempted to go and use it properly though, reason being, windows is meh compared to most linux based OS's.

And heres me frightened of games like dead space when theres people struggling to even boot there PC without initiating a panic attack :eek: :D

Personally I like vista it runs fast on my desktop and it looks nice and feels smooth.

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
don't bother, if you don't know what you're doing it'll be no end of hassles, surely it'll be easier getting your wireless to work with XP, sounds like a piss of phish

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Is Ubuntu alot quicker?
Will it play football manager?
Will my girlfriend hate it???

SY

I first tried linux about 10 years ago, it sure was scary for me at first but I learned so much about how computers work and I would never ever go back. I am now RHCE certified and my job is managing windows and linux servers.

Ubuntu is fantastic, easy to use and pretty much everything has a GUI.

If you got the live version you can run it from the CD to try it out first, if you like it you can then install it on the hard drive. It will also give you a good idea if all your hardware is supported.

If you try the live cd then note it will run quite a bit slower than if it was installed on the hard drive.

Have fun !

I installed linux and other than a c**k up my end its been smooth sailing. My missus loves it and she is an avid Windows user. Its loads quicker and much more stable.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
Pretty much any.. it will write to FAT16, FAT32 and NTFS and in most cases after installation will already auto-mount them for you.

To install it will require a Linux partition of some sort.. ext3/4 xfs etc. It will automatically sort it all out for you though.

Citroen DS3 DSport
I'm considering if I will keep Ubuntu 8.04 on my Dell Mini 9 when it arrives or if I will install OS X Leopard instead.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
Actually so am I, my mini9 is due to arrive soon and I want to try out OSX on it heh..

I'll probably take an image of the ubuntu install and back it up, then give OSX a try and once i'm bored go back to Linux.

Citroen DS3 DSport
I was planning on doing the same with the existing Ubuntu install. Which spec of Mini 9 did you buy?

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
Erm,

Alpine White
16GB SSD
2Gig RAM
Bluetooth
1.3MP Camera

I might upgrade it later to a faster 64GB SSD

Citroen DS3 DSport
Almost the same spec as me but I opted for the 64GB SSD from Dell. My Mini 9 is not due till 9th April :(

Quick question, how do I go about creating a disk image of the existing install from within Ubuntu?

Citroen DS3 DSport
The Runcore 64GB SSD is also far more expensive when I looked online than the Dell upgrade which put me off buying that.

Last edited:
As a long term Linux user, I'd say don't bother changing.
It won't offer you anything better than XP or Vista would.. and it'd probably give you more of a headache on the desktop.

FF RB 182
Gaz uses a Ubuntu Live CD when Windows or Mac OS X dies to get into the HDD, but says he'd never use it as an OS as it is now.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
As a long term Linux user, I'd say don't bother changing.
It won't offer you anything better than XP or Vista would.. and it'd probably give you more of a headache on the desktop.

Oi !! mac lover.. bugger off !!:rasp:

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
Why you giving up the Mac for ?

Hope your not going back to the dark side !

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
The Runcore 64GB SSD is also far more expensive when I looked online than the Dell upgrade which put me off buying that.

Ye, its is more expensive and fair doo's on Dell's 64GB ssd, didn't read any review on that.

cheers for the replys... As commented i've gotten into some problems... Well just one:

My Broadcom Wireless doesn't work, I've googled it and it came up with stuff that's alien to me, if i cant get it working in the next few days it'll be vista again :( which is a shame because i love the look of Ubuntu, its dual desktop-ness and just everything about it (Apart from my wireless problem)

Just incase anyone can help heres some info:
Broadcom wireless com
Acer 3680 Laptop
Ubuntu 8.10
Sy