ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tyres - IS more expensive better?

P

pete.grant

I bought my 182 in May and the garage that I bought it off kindly put 2 new front tyres on it for me. Thing is the tyres they put on are 'Accelera Alpha' (please, no giggling!) I have noticed that in the wet the grip is terrible but in dry conditions I am quite pleased with them. I just wondered what people's opinion on budget tyres were and what tyres people would recommend when I come to replace them.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I've got "fortuna f2000" on mine, seem fine in the dry, but are seriously bad in the wet, don't know how they are legal if i'm honest.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
i will defo get good tyres soon, just this is what my 182 wheels come with when i bought them.

audi a6 3.0tdi
i got pilot excaltos 2s for 45 pound atyre and they seem good in all weathers hardly expensive

Dynamique+ 1.4
where did you get pilot excaltos from for that price? And accelera tyres are proper budgets apparantly :|

audi a6 3.0tdi
costco absolute bargin 195 50 15 the joy of having a phase 1 think it was 20 quid extra a tyre just to go down to a 45 profile. 16's will be dearer obviously

Lotus Elise 111R
Your tyres are your only point of contact with the road... of all the things to be tight over, tyres cannot be one of them, unless you like getting hurt of course.

mini cooper (RIP 172)
yer dont skimp on tyers on a fastish car like the 182, especially in winter with wet roads ect:eek:

costco absolute bargin 195 50 15 the joy of having a phase 1 think it was 20 quid extra a tyre just to go down to a 45 profile. 16's will be dearer obviously

do you know if ph1 15" wheels will fit on my ph2 172? was thinkin track wheels and tyres;)

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
I bought my 182 in May and the garage that I bought it off kindly put 2 new front tyres on it for me. Thing is the tyres they put on are 'Accelera Alpha' (please, no giggling!) I have noticed that in the wet the grip is terrible but in dry conditions I am quite pleased with them. I just wondered what people's opinion on budget tyres were and what tyres people would recommend when I come to replace them.

More expensive tyres aren't always better than cheaper ones, but it is generally true. Cheap tyres can match expensive tyres on one or two measures - dry grip, wet grip, noise, life - but they never match them on everything. It costs money in development costs and takes expensive expertise to make a tyre that's good at everything.

ph1 172
Tyre choice depends on so many things. Generally i think more expensive tyres are more predictable at and over the limit, and this is true x10 in the wet.

What you have to do is be friends with somebody in the trade.
I had a look through the trade price lists and it was a bit of an eye opener. There was a huge tyre which i was told was for a BMW X5. Trade was about £120, RRP was about £250. Apparenty the BMW dealer sell them fitted for over £300.

Clio 182 & Saxo VTR
The only time i would budget on a tyre is on a spare, purely so i can use the spare as a "get me home" and not have to worry about having an expensive tyre getting cracked and ruined when all its doing is just sitting in my boot. Of course i dont have room for a spare so thats one less thing to worry about. :D

On the other hand, the most expensive tyre isnt always the best either but price does usually give a vague indication of the quality of tyre your purchasing.

audi a6 3.0tdi
yer dont skimp on tyers on a fastish car like the 182, especially in winter with wet roads ect:eek:

do you know if ph1 15" wheels will fit on my ph2 172? was thinkin track wheels and tyres;)
don't see why not it just depends on the offset. some are slightly different