ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tyres....And not another 'What's the best tyre?' thread!!!

Ok, I've solved that one and decided to get a pair of Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3's. ideally I would have gone for Michelin Exalto's, but got the Eagle's at £150 fully fitted which is nearly £50 less.

These are to replace the Toyo T1-S's on the front which are below 3mm of tread now (and are completely rubbish in the wet!). On the rear are some budget tyres which were obviously just put on by the garage that I bought the car from a couple of months ago to replace a worn decent pair. These are China's premier tyre manufacturer (!) 'Wanli' and are quite poor in the wet as well.....

I intend to replace these in the next couple of months when finances allow, however: should I leave the decent rubber on the front, or should I have the Wanli's moved to the front and put the Goodyear's on the back to help keep it on the road in the wet?

I've had a few interesting moments with the rear end, would other people get some wear out of the Wanli's on the front or is it not really worth it for what is hopefully only a couple of months?

Last edited:

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
shite on the front, understeer is easier to control than oversteer IMO

b/g 182, meg tourer
i have t1-r's on the front and falkens on the rear.
when i had falkens all round the car would understeer. with the t1-r's on the front the car now oversteers! hello drifting! lol
i have no problems with the t1-r's.

i would wait till your tyres need replacing

BMW M4; S1000 RR
s**te on the front, understeer is easier to control than oversteer IMO

If you're sporting wacky rubber, I would try to drive so as not to provoke either, but then sometimes these situations arise. Either way, I'd say you want decent rubber on the wheels that happen to be turning, powering and stopping your car rather than the wheels that keep your car from rolling down the road when you park:)

Thanks for your replies everyone: after reading them I decided to put the decent rubber on the back and swap the poor rubber to the front, however I was late for an appointment by the time the tyres arrived at Kwik Fit and just got them to swap the worn tyres on the front!

I'll do the back ones soon.......