ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

tyre wear!!!

ive read many reports from you guys about only getting 10k miles from yer 172s front and back, having moved froma a fiat brava and getting 45k for the front and 60k still going strong, (obviously at much slower speeds), i am use to not having to buy tryes very often, own up, is it just because you rag the cars all day, or is the rubber that soft to get the grip that they only last 2 minutes..

a mate at work has a scooby, and has done 3 years/30k miles and is still on his original parts of brakes and tyres, which is more wot i was expecting...

can anyone suggest a more hard wearing tyre, even if it means compromising a little bit of grip as i do about 20k miles a year, and dont fancy becoming a regular at kwik fit!!

cheers adam b.

Renault Laguna Coupe

My tyre wear has been totally predictable so far. I get 6k per set of fronts, and about 15k from the rears. Thats with a goodly number of track days, and 1/4 mile days a couple of times a year. I dont rag the car unless its really safe. Ive stuck with the Contis so far as I like them.

Goodyear F1s seem to last a lot longer - you could maybe try them?

60k out of a set of tyres!! :eek: What are they made of? Concrete?!

A lot of people dont get much out of a set of tyres because they use their cars to, um, their max potential ;) when the opportunity presents itself, rather than pootle around. Plus, most people run performance tyres that are a lot softer compounds - you have a trade off whatever you do. Either you run a rock hard compound on a cheap tyre that will last forever but be, how shall i put it, average in the wet/extreme dry handling conditions, or you go for a softer compound tyre that wont last so long but will massively improve grip and performance and, in the same manner, safety in extreme situations.

It might be an idea to check out http://www.mytyres.netwww.mytyres.net as they have the tyre performance stats that you can look at that are taken from huge numbers of people surveyed about how they found X brand of tyre. Personally, Id rather sacrifice longer life for increased grip so am not really sure about any middle-ground tyres! :p

chhers guys, I know 60k sounds a lot for the rears, but its been mostly motorway driving at about 80mph, looking at how much tread there is left, id estimate another 20k miles out of them for the next owner! it is true to say that I did "pootle" around in the car though, as its not exactly set up for performance... thats wot my new 172 is for!!!

cheers

adam b.

like mike i tend to get about 6,000 miles out of fronts and they were a bit worn at 12,000 on the rear when i fitted my 17s, this is mostly round town driving (there are loads of roundabouts here) and i am known for throwing my car sideways on roundabouts so if you are doing more motorway miles i expect yours will last longer than that

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Hmm, I am just about to replace the front tyres again, they lasted about 10k miles. but then again they are proxies so the compound is very soft, and I have the occassional outburt with the accelerator and corners.

But as you can pick up proxies for £39 per corner its not that expensive.