ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tyre Sidewall Damage

Liquid yellow 182
Kerbed the my NSF wheel and had some sidewall damage.

I've had a new tyre fitted but have kept the old tyre with the intention of getting a suitable wheel and using it as a spare. I think that because its mainly damaged the rim protector and it'll be ok for occasional use (e.g. short drive to garage to get nail in tyre fixed etc)

What do you all think??

What size wheel do i need to get. (182 with cup packs)

DSCF0692.jpg

CB600FS
I'd use it as a backup tyre as you say, aslong as there is no cord showing, or has damaged more than the alloy protector area.

The size you need will be on the tyre itself.

women drivers cough, no seriously i personally wouldn't drive with a tyre that's been damaged like that is it really worth the risk?

CB600FS
women drivers cough, no seriously i personally wouldn't drive with a tyre that's been damaged like that is it really worth the risk?

Thats what the rim protectors for, not an MOT failure if its damaged that bit - its just serving its purpose.

Thats what the rim protectors for, not an MOT failure if its damaged that bit - its just serving its purpose.
Yeah just cos it's there doesn't mean you have to use it, anyway it was just my 2p's worth i wouldn't fancy a blowout at any speed.

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep
I've had two blow-outs when going over 80 on the m-way. Not that much of a drama really. Would've been fucked if they'd happened going round a bend lol

As long as the cut on the sidewall isn't down to the cord of the tyre it'll pass an MOT and its perfectly safe.

Would not use that tyre, yes the MFS is danaged but it has done its job, protected the rim the tyre is now unroadworthy. put it this way, crash and use your crumple zones, the car is still drivable but is un roadworthy.

End of the day its your choice.

Liquid yellow 182
Cheers guys, replaced the tyre on the car straight away. Expect that will sit in the garage for a few years now before anything gets done with it!!!!

I had a tyre like that on my car for 6 months. silly i know, but just so you know it's not as bad as it looks.