ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tyre pressures for what tracks?

Nojjer

ClioSport Club Member
I know each track up and down the country are different and of course the weather can play a part in this also but Just wondering what sort of general tyre pressures people are using or have been recommended for what track around the country.
Thanks in advance

robzracing

ClioSport Club Member
Far too many variables to be definitive. As a starting point we always start with 22psi at the rear and 20 at the front. That’s with 15” track tyres.
Just monitor pressures and temperatures until you get an even 30psi (there abouts) and even temps across the face of the tyre.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nojjer

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah I understand the variables involved just looking for a general ball park figure people start or use and at which track.
I only ask as I’m hoping to try out a few different tracks next year

robzracing

ClioSport Club Member
We use these starting points regardless of the track. As you know ambient temps has a massive effect so what worked at a track one day may be completely wrong the next time you're there.
More technical tracks with more corners and/or more heavy braking will have your tyres hot in no time where as longer "power" circuits may take longer if the tyres are having a chance to cool on long straights.
Don't know what your experience is so this may be info you already have.

Nojjer

ClioSport Club Member
I’ve had mild track experience previously but mainly around castle Combe. As said just looking for a ball park figure to work from, with the understanding each track is technically different

Last edited:
  406 V6, Race Buggy
Nobody can really give you one bar what's given above, your own driving style can alter the tyre temperatures more than even changing cars might. Same with the tyres themselves.
Some of my front tyres run 8psi cold, some of them 18psi cold, at the same place.

Nothing wrong with that setup.

Shouldn't be needing 50psi, no matter what the track tbh.

What's the idea behind needing 50psi?

I know there isnt!

That’s with rears full stuff aswell and RARB.

The high pressure helps ya lose rear end grip, you don’t need it at knockhill.

I’m running the same now on full slicks in my new Mini Cooper S.

50psi, is that not over the max pressure for a 15" tyre? I ran AST's with the exact same spring rates and 2 notches from full stiffness and RARB set to stiff and no way does this set up need 50psi. Surprised your tyres haven't badly scrubbed the centres. I ran mine 30psi all-round hot and handled like a dream at all different tracks. I even tried upping them slightly and it felt skittish as hell.

MK7 Golf R, Clio 182
Personally I start at 24 for the front and 28 for the rears. I like to end up with 30 front and 34 rear when hot. I find overinflating the rears gives a bit of slide which helps with turn in. Especially for corners like the chicanes at Combe and Surtees at Brands.

robzracing

ClioSport Club Member
Personally I start at 24 for the front and 28 for the rears. I like to end up with 30 front and 34 rear when hot. I find overinflating the rears gives a bit of slide which helps with turn in. Especially for corners like the chicanes at Combe and Surtees at Brands.

But not Paddock Hill bend [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

50psi isn't exactly recommended due to reduced contact patch & increased wear but if it's the only way to get a balance that you're happy pushing on with then fair enough. Maybe a benefit specific to track days (relatively short runs) and cold places is that high pressures promote movement of the tread block and generate surface temperature quicker.

guide-contact-pression.jpg

If possible you'd always want to use bars/springs/dampers in that order to move excess rear grip to the front rather than just remove grip from the rear by playing with tyre pressures.

Back on topic though your driving style, car setup and the weather make a much bigger difference to cold pressures than circuit layout. In terms of circuit layout, for a trackday where you have the luxury of setting pressures whilst hot, just consider whether it's clockwise or anti clockwise and set the inside tyres a little higher if you must fiddle with something.

Start with around 25 PSI and then monitor at every opportunity. You want to aim for 30 PSI when hot across all four.

If you have good suspension then you shouldn't need much different to that.