ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

***Tyre Poll***

what do you use/recommend and why?

• toyo proxies

Votes: 627 25.1%
  • eagle F1 gsd's

Votes: 390 15.6%
  • bridgestone potenza re720

Votes: 45 1.8%
  • dunlop sp sport

Votes: 44 1.8%
  • michelin pilot exalto

Votes: 809 32.3%
  • yoko A539's

Votes: 108 4.3%
  • kumho ecsta 712

Votes: 53 2.1%
  • other please state...

Votes: 426 17.0%

• Total voters

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
anyone used eagle F1's?

Also, whats the difference bwteen the Conti Sport Contact, and Sport Contact 3?? Both nigh on same price

Rs 182
anyone used eagle F1's?

Also, whats the difference bwteen the Conti Sport Contact, and Sport Contact 3?? Both nigh on same price

I have Eagle F1's on my 182 just on the front & some Wanli things on the back.. Was not my choice was on the car ..
Imho the F1's are terrible,, i have no confidance in these tyre's what so ever, Grip doesnt last they seem to move and roll all over the place, and the noise they make is like from an American movie..

197 FF Glacier White
F1s on the front - Really good in all conditions.

Yoko S Drive on the back - not so good, great in the dry, on/off in the wet!

TR1s waiting to be fitted, had these before, although not on a Clio, great all rounder. Some tyres better in the wet (Conti, F1s), some better in the dry (the Yokos are better in the dry I'd say) but the TR1s seem to offer a better all round package, and they are cheap as chips to boot!

Tyres will always call arguments! I certainly now what I like from a tyre and I've bought a few bad sets in the past, I never buy budget tyres, although a colleague is running some Fuldas on his 197 and they are very good, just wear out very fast!

Hi,
Just wondered if anyone's tried 'Lassa Impetus Sport' tyres? I'm thinking about getting a pair as opposed to Toyo's/Yokos - just for general road use on a 172. Can't find much info on them tbh, but local tyre dealer was suggesting them. Don't think they do 195/45/16 so guess it would be 205/45/16 he was referring to, not sur eif that makes much diff.

Cheers
J

Renault Sport Clio 182
just had michelin pilot exalto 3's fitted yesterday, so see how they go but im not useing the car much at all at the moment, so will be a while before i get any decent miles on them.

LY182/NHB CTR
I've had both PE2 & F1 on my old Clio Sport 172 no problems at all..

The PE2 worked brilliant in the wet on the Trophy when doing the Wales Tour back a couple of years ago too

Picked up a LY last weekend and every tyre is a different make one is even a different size!!! so 4 new tyres along with a few other £££'s spend so looking for something a little easier on the pocket.. I keep hearing the Toyo Proxies are a good all rounder and under £100 a corner think I might try them out... please warn me now if they are rubbish this LY will be living on the Black Mountain and Welsh mountain roads. thank you

Clio Sport 182 + 197
Hi i used to have yoko advan ad08 on my last car and the clios got goodyear eagle f1 on at the mo. Ivegt to say the ad08 tyres are much better and lasted well too considering the tyre compound. Im going to try these on the clio as i think tthese goodyears arent much cop

Clio 182
I like to buy(2x) the:
Michelin Pilot Exalto 2
205-45-16 R16 83V

Can i still buy them in England, Germany or elsewhere?
In the Netherlands it's not for sale anymore!
:banghead:

Clio 172
I've just put Uniroyal rainsport on the front and have PE2's on the rear. Seems to drive fine I just have to get used to the car as I have only had it for a week and haven't driven a 172 hard since I was selling them.

LOL at someone early on saying that pirelli p6000s are good. I'd rather have budgets, p6000s are shockingly bad - surprised pirelli have put their name to them.
I'm a michelin man - nothing else seems to last as long.
Someone I know has had toyo t1r and when driving (very) hard round corners the tyre would roll over and run on the sidewall - rubbing all the writing off, thought it may just be a dodgy pair so tried some more after but same result - sidewally just seems too soft. they were a 40 or 45 profile too so not as if they were baloon tyres!
Would like to try some uniroyal RS2s in the future but not with the amount of miles i'm doing atm - quite a soft compound - quite easy to melt on the track ;)

Clio 172 RS2
Went from Uniroyal Rainsport to Good-Year Eagle F1 no probs with both, excellent grip, hard sidewalls no excessive noise level.
Eagles grip harder under braking.
Only downside with the V shaped pattern on the Eagles, small pebbles stay stuck!

Looking into Conti's after these...

Running 195/45 VR16 XL tyres btw.

Clio 172
Having done a day at Donington on Sunday and had four seasons in one day I can say for certain that the Rainsport's are spot on in the dry and the wet.

Last edited:
  Clio 172
Funny story I was chatting to a guy who used to pit crew a VW 1600 car and he said they all ran Rainsports cut down to 3mm of tread. I have to say I found they gained alot of heat and did a good job. I'd need to have a proper look at them to see if they have melted at all but didn't see any sign of that happening on Sunday.

interesting!
I'm a member on a BMW E30 forum and the chaps on there that have used them say they melted - must have been cos the beamer is a heavier motor then.

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
What are a good winter/wet weather/snow tyre? These are for winter and general winter conditions, not specifically for, say, snow - but more winter/'wet'.

Wanting four for my now spare set of winter wheels.

clio 2 1.5dCi 100bhp
Yokohama Parada Spec 2. They are insane in dry weather, it makes my clio go around corners like a AWD Evo X :rasp:
They look stunning too. They could be better on wet though.

parada_spec_2.jpg

Last time i changed tires i went to a place where they had Bridgestone Turanza on sale and they had runned out of Parada. I went for the Bridgestone and can't make a review on them yet, but they don't look like a match for the Parada. The price was nice, but next time i will go to my much beloved Yokohama Parada Spec 2.

Clio 182 Sport Blue
Reading this then Toyos aren't reknowned for being great in the wet? I had some T1-S on my 106 XSI and thought they were great.

Not a 320d
Hankook V12's...........

They were cheap and people rated them, I dont think they are on par with the Exalto, but they grip well in the dry and have lasted me 12k so far and probably will last me a while yet. They also have nice looking tyre walls and tread. Not amazing in the wet by any means.

Impreza Wagon
I've got Conti's on the rear and Hankook V12's on the front. The Conti's seem fine, no major issues and being on the rear can't comment on grip that much. V12's are good for the money however I had Michelins before which were better all round. They grip well in the dry however feel a bit unsteady in the wet but good enough to keep you safe :)

ph1 172
I've been reading through this thread but can't find what the best tyre is for standard ph1 172, any suggetions ? I currently have Exalto's.

Right, I'm going to need a couple of tyres soon, so I'm looking them up in advance. I'm running on 4 Toyo Proxes (T1-R). I have seen that they are a mid-high range tyre and have good reviews. Strangely this poll rates them as the most popular, yet some comments on this forum have ripped them apart with complaints.

Can I conclude from this that most people rating them highly just don't know the difference as they've only been on crap brands before / have only used this single semi-performance tyre type on their Clio. E.g. I could say mine are great (as they feel that way), but no that's BS, I can't do that as I've owned the car under a month and have no idea what the competition are like. All I can say is that in my opinion, the comments calling them death traps in the wet are a tad extreme, I've had no such experience (e.g. perhaps they are poor vs competition, but not shocking compared with standard tyres).

Anyway, I'll look through these pages for advice, I will probably end up making my decision by combining the latest Evo tyre review and by looking at comments in this thread.

Looking at Blackcircles, Toyo T1-R's are offered at £69.50 each fitted, so offer what could be great value.
Hankook S1 Evo's are a smidge under £76 fitted, these came 2nd in the Evo group test beating all but Conti Sport Contact 3's, this really has to be the limit of my price range, as things could get very expensive very quickly if I do end up getting a set of 4.

Main questions:
1. Do you know of any NOTICEABLE performance leap between the Toyo's and another brand from your own experience of trying them in a similar situation? Not just performance leap, but subjective good feeling too (as performance difference may be negligible in real world conditions).

2. Am I alright to mix tyre brands? e.g. if I only NEED to replace 2 tyres, could I just do the fonts without worrying about uneven wear, then change the rear's say in 6 months or whenever they need changing.

Many thanks in advance!
[edit: bloody hell, sorry if I sound like a bit of a weirdo! I'm quite tight with my cash (Welsh you see, father is a Cardi), so don't like wasting it!]

Last edited:
  Audi A3
Uniroyal rainsport2s - i now look for wet road for some reason! ive just got four 195/45/16s (not fitted) for £240, really good tyres

keo

Clio Trophy
I had T1R's on my 106 GTI they were very good. Got pe2's on the Trophy dont know what i will replace them with though when the time comes

Clio 172 Ph 1
I have Toyo T1-R's on my phase 1 (on the front at least).. seem to hold up pretty well in the wet, they can get abit squirrelly up only on the white lines etc...

Just bought another couple for the rear... Camskill have them on offer at the moment for £34 Inc.VAT + p&p if anyones interested.

Astra H vxr
had toyo proxies on my saxo , and must say best tyre ive had on any off my cars, so il be ordering some more for my clio as they need changing very shortly