ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tyre Choices!

172 Exclusive #114
I'm going to treat the old gal to a new set of shoes next month, probably Pilot Exaltos. I'm a little clueless about this, they're 195 R50 15s on there at the mo, should I stick with those or can I go 195 R45 15? Should I?

I'd guess people generally use mytyres, and I take it you can get them delivered then get a mobile fitting centre round to fit them?

HELP MEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!! :S

In order...

Yes.
If you want to.
I wouldn't personally.
Yes you probably can, or go to an independant tyre place with cash in hand, as most big chains don't like fitting tyres they haven't supplied.

:p

172 Exclusive #114
Cheers chap! I take it the R number in the tyre spec refers to the radius of the tyre? So an R50 puts more rubber on the ground than an R45? :eek:

BMW M4; S1000 RR
No....

First number is the width..

195mm wide.

Second number is the profile, or height of the tyre wall (in a percentage of the width).

So for 195/50. 50 indicates the wall is 50% of 195, so about 10cm.

(With relation to your comparison of 45 to 50, a 195/45 will have a smaller tyre wall, and won't stress as much as a 195/50, giving better cornering, however it makes your overall wheel size smaller, reducing your top speed and increasing your acceleration)

Last one is obviously the rim width the tyre is for.

Why don't you order them from MrTyres and just fit them yourself ??

R refers to the tyres construction type in this case radial. You also get cross-ply and I can't remember the other type but these days you will struggle to find anything but radials as it's a much better way.
Not and important thing though all that matters to you is the size,load rating and speed rating which could be what the R is for but would mean it's only rated to 113mph.

172 Exclusive #114
No....

First number is the width..

195mm wide.

Second number is the profile, or height of the tyre wall (in a percentage of the width).

So for 195/50. 50 indicates the wall is 50% of 195, so about 10cm.

(With relation to your comparison of 45 to 50, a 195/45 will have a smaller tyre wall, and won't stress as much as a 195/50, giving better cornering, however it makes your overall wheel size smaller, reducing your top speed and increasing your acceleration)

Last one is obviously the rim width the tyre is for.

Why don't you order them from MrTyres and just fit them yourself ??

Nice! Exceedingly Helpful! :approve:

I'd love to be able to fit them myself, but don't I need all kinds of special fitting and balancing equipment?

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Not too bad..

Best idea is to make friends with an small tyre company boss, cheap tyres all round then:clown:

I have fitted tyres before using nothing but a bit of grease and an air compressor... Yes I do get up to strange things in my spare time:quiet: It can be tricky getting the tyre to "pop" and become air tight, but you don't really need to do any trickery to it if that's what you're thinking.

172 Exclusive #114
Not too bad..

Best idea is to make friends with an small tyre company boss, cheap tyres all round then:clown:

I have fitted tyres before using nothing but a bit of grease and an air compressor... Yes I do get up to strange things in my spare time:quiet: It can be tricky getting the tyre to "pop" and become air tight, but you don't really need to do any trickery to it if that's what you're thinking.

I thought I would have to journey on a quest to find the Wizard of Wheels, and ask him these questions 3!!!!!!! ;)

I'll go with them up there for the moment, cause knowing my luck I'll break something...