ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Type of paint on a 1962 Rover P5

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
@gally @Scrooge @Yellow Dave @detail1 @Detail Chris

Chaps,

A mate at work is restoring a 1962 Rover P5 and he's asked me if could sort out the paintwork for him ie decontamination, Polish and some sort of sealant.

My question is, due to the age of this car would there be any issues using a product like iron x?

And would machine polishing be ok? (I'd probably be looking to get a paint depth gauge before polishing) and would paint pf this age actually benefit from something like Hydro2?

Hope this doesn't sound stupid!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
It will probably be base coat only so for a start I wouldn't use a rotary. At least not unless you've got massive testicles.

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
It will probably be base coat only so for a start I wouldn't use a rotary. At least not unless you've got massive testicles.

I've only got a DA but do you think I should leave well alone? I was thinking of using a glaze to see how it comes up with just that?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
DA will be fine mate. Just use something like SRP or triple first to clean it up then work from there upwards.
I wouldn't use cutting compound or anything like that though. You never know what's been painted and by who!

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
DA will be fine mate. Just use something like SRP or triple first to clean it up then work from there upwards.
I wouldn't use cutting compound or anything like that though. You never know what's been painted and by who!

Cheers Brosef :up:

Will iron x be ok on it or just go straight to triple?

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
All products will be fine on it. Do as you'd normally do then attack with DA, try different pads/compound combinations until you're happy

Its most likely cellulose.....personally id be very careful with any decontamination stuff like iron x etc, they are all made for the chemical resistance of modern paints that celly just doesn't have.

Paint depth wise you will probably be fine, as normally with cellulose there will be many coats, but just remember celle is a lot softer than modern paints so go easy on the compound you use.