ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

"Twitchy" Steering...

Edd

ClioSport Club Member
  Ghibli/Boxster/197T
Over the last few weeks I've noticed my Cup seems to be a little twitchy. It is most noticable on an un-even road surface when I am either braking or accelerating, the steering wheel will move left or right if you havn't got a firm hold of it.

Anyone else experienced similar?

172/1.2/E30
Torque steer? Balljoints? Track rods(-ends)? Wishbone bushes? Shocks?

The list is long. If it is seriously twitchy check the front suspension for play!

Edd

ClioSport Club Member
  Ghibli/Boxster/197T
It does seem like a long list.

Only other thing I've noticed is that when stationary if you turn the steering wheel to the left a couple of inches and then release the wheel there is a knocking noise/feel.

Edd

ClioSport Club Member
  Ghibli/Boxster/197T
I fitted new Sportlines a couple of months ago.

172 Cup/123d/405Mi16
I notice this feeling most when tyres are coming to the end of their useful life.

b/g 182, meg tourer
i have had this kind of problem for a while. the car has had new shocks, springs, top mounts, ball joints, tyres, wheel alignment, and it still seems to be doing it. learning to live with it now. it keeps you on your toes!
the only thing i have noticed is that the cheap GSF balljoints that have been put on seem to be showing signs of wear very fast, the rubbers have split! so i might replace them for full balljoints and wishbone kit at some point, might polybush it at the same time too then every mount on the car will be poly :)

Edd

ClioSport Club Member
  Ghibli/Boxster/197T
i have had this kind of problem for a while. the car has had new shocks, springs, top mounts, ball joints, tyres, wheel alignment, and it still seems to be doing it. learning to live with it now. it keeps you on your toes!
the only thing i have noticed is that the cheap GSF balljoints that have been put on seem to be showing signs of wear very fast, the rubbers have split! so i might replace them for full balljoints and wishbone kit at some point, might polybush it at the same time too then every mount on the car will be poly :)

What about your track rod ends and maybe even inners have you thought about re-newing them?

Had mine on axle stands today with the wheels off, couldn't find any signs of excessive play or anything that would cause this "twitchy-ness". Think I'm going to get the tracking done and go from there.

Edd

ClioSport Club Member
  Ghibli/Boxster/197T
Torque steer? Balljoints? Track rods(-ends)? Wishbone bushes? Shocks?

The list is long. If it is seriously twitchy check the front suspension for play!

How do you check the suspension for play?

Edd

ClioSport Club Member
  Ghibli/Boxster/197T
Turned out that when I had two new turinis fitted to the same side of the car the tyres were over inflated, coupled with the two on the other side being a little low was causing my issue. Really should have checked that first.

Focus
Turned out that when I had two new turinis fitted to the same side of the car the tyres were over inflated, coupled with the two on the other side being a little low was causing my issue. Really should have checked that first.

Sometimes it's easy to overlook the simple things dude, glad you sorted it, was going to suggest ball joints as well as had the same issue.