ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Twitchy on the lincolnshire roads

RB clio 182
I live in lincolnshire where the roads are very rough and bumpy. When I accelerate hard, my 182 (with cup suspension) wants to dive all over the road and is very twitchy. Its quite bad even when im just driving normally and not accelerating. It can be quite scary at times. Firstly I was just wondering if this is normal as my previous car was only a 1.6 focus but it stayed dead straight on equally bumpy roads.

Secondly are there any relatively cheap modifications that can be done to reduce this?

Thanks for your help and sorry about the essay

Clio 182ff
Im having pretty much the same problems as you, with my car. I thought at first it was the tyres so i had them changed to the Michelin Exalto Pilot 2's all around, i now drive better in the wet but still if I hard accelerate im all over the place sometime. I have no answer to it, but spending £400 on new tyres is definately not the option. Alan.

RB clio 182
yeah mine already has exalto's all round and new ones on the front. When I had them fitted i had the tracking done but still no better.

Mazda MX5
Mines twitchy on some bumpy roads (mx5) i tend to think its due to the fact thats its RWD, GAZ Coilovers and tyres that only work once warm lol...

Possibly look at getting chassis bracing? I dunno, not had much experiance with Clios yet...

Sunflower & Golf Mk6 BMT
Its just because you have low and stiff suspension so it will skip/crash a bit over bumbs and un-even roads. Its the price you pay for great handling.

Norfolk's crap roads are the same, my cup doesn't like country lanes, nice smooth tarmac is definitely it's preferred surface and then it's fantastic. I keep having to let little boy racers in much softer cars beat me as i'm not prepared to have my head bouncing off the roof and my suspension getting knackered down some back road!

It does seem to be a problem that's getting worse though, i'm sure in britain we're going backwards. Roads just aren't getting repaired when they need it, give it a few years and we'll all be back on rutted dirt tracks I think. I want to know where that huge percentage of fuel cost that the government skims off is going to because it isn't on road repairs!!