ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tv's - Plasma, LCD, LED

i'm getting a new tv this weekend seeing as there are quite a few offers due to bank holiday, i've looked it up on the net about the differences between each screen but its all too advanced to understand. which is best, or is it a matter of personal preference?

i'm thinking of getting either of these tv's below, not sure which yet though, both LCD.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5295889.htm

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5296242.htm

prefer the looks of the samsung but its a slightly smaller screen

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Anything less than 50" and you have a fangina iirc...

If you're being a women... 42"+ = Plasma, Anything under go LCD.

LED is totally different price point.

i cant afford 50" plus sadly, too big for my room too probably.

i got told at the opticians the other day that any bigger than 37" and your eyes cant see the picture as one whole image and process it as well......

i still though the bigger the better though

260% JCW
i'm getting a new tv this weekend seeing as there are quite a few offers due to bank holiday, i've looked it up on the net about the differences between each screen but its all too advanced to understand. which is best, or is it a matter of personal preference?

i'm thinking of getting either of these tv's below, not sure which yet though, both LCD.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5295889.htm

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5296242.htm

prefer the looks of the samsung but its a slightly smaller screen

Something like this?....40"s is enough TBH. Unless you have a massive front room.

http://www.google.co.uk/products/ca...a=X&ei=a0_hTZGhMom48gPo6rWTBw&ved=0CGwQ8wIwAA#

RIP Dan
Get bigger than you think. When we changed to a Samsung LCD a few years ago we went from a 26" CRT to a 42" which we felt was way big enough for our lounge.
After 2 or 3 days we realised we could have gone 50"+ but they were few and far between then and bloody expensive too. The 42 is still going strong and no need for upgrade at the mo. Next year maybe but not sure which was to go, 3D etc.

I too hate the cinema and have thought about a projector and screen but just for films. The screen hiding behind a plinth attached to the ceiling.

Do you not process sarcasm?

BOOM! Lovin your work dk. You got me hook line & sinker :eek:

Get bigger than you think. When we changed to a Samsung LCD a few years ago we went from a 26" CRT to a 42" which we felt was way big enough for our lounge.
After 2 or 3 days we realised we could have gone 50"+ but they were few and far between then and bloody expensive too. The 42 is still going strong and no need for upgrade at the mo. Next year maybe but not sure which was to go, 3D etc.

I too hate the cinema and have thought about a projector and screen but just for films. The screen hiding behind a plinth attached to the ceiling.

That. First rule of buying a TV. It's a bit like McDonalds - you always go large. Then add a few inches for good measure. People who buy a smaller TV based on size, and not cost, need to be killed.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Any less than 50" makes you a homo.

I just bought a 50" LCD LG jobbie. 1080p.

There are bargains out there.

dk

911 GTS Cab
Tv size does also depend on how close you sit to said tv. Someone with a massive living room and a 50" tv might not even get as good an effect as someone who has a small living room, sits much closer to the tv and has a 40".

I'm still rolling 40", but it's an epic tv and I sit fairly close to it, so I cant be arsed to change it at the mo, I'm holding on to see where 3d goes, active, passive or no glasses.

Indeedy. Classic example is console vs. PC wars, where the gimps bleat on about playing games on their 'massive HD telly'. Yet it offers nowhere NEAR the immersion provided by a 27" monitor 18" away from your face.

Clio 182
Big fan of Samsung tvs myself, if you can afford it go for an LED version, crisp image and very energy efficient over the LCD counterparts.

dk

911 GTS Cab
Big fan of Samsung tvs myself, if you can afford it go for an LED version, crisp image and very energy efficient over the LCD counterparts.

You do know that they are still LCD right.......

Unless you have a million pound 40" oled tv?

Clio 182
You do know that they are still LCD right.......

Unless you have a million pound 40" oled tv?

Didn't know that tbh, although I'd hope I was getting what I paid for considering it stated LED.
Unfortunately for me a million pound oled tv is a little out of my budget...;)

dk

911 GTS Cab
Didn't know that tbh, although I'd hope I was getting what I paid for considering it stated LED.
Unfortunately for me a million pound oled tv is a little out of my budget...;)

Ah ok, well it's a bit of clever marketing tbh, led tvs are actually led lit LCD screens, so the backlighting is LEDs around the edge of the screen. They are more energy efficient, but they aren't led tvs, they are yet to come in these sizes.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Indeedy. Classic example is console vs. PC wars, where the gimps bleat on about playing games on their 'massive HD telly'. Yet it offers nowhere NEAR the immersion provided by a 27" monitor 18" away from your face.

I play about two feet from my 50". LOL.

I have to actually move my head to change my peripheral vision. F*cking alpha.

Stop saying 50". It makes me feel too superior about the imminent delivery of my 55" leviathan ;)

Oh and I meant 18" away from the screen, not below it x

Yes this is true, but the 60" truly is crazy money on top of the 55". Over four bags from I've seen. Even I don't roll that high, as it'll probably be replaced in 2 years.

It is NOT too big though :cool:

DB.

BMW 440i
F*cking hate being a student with my 32". It is in a box room though, so basically like a cinema screen.

Will be on placement from July so a 27" iMac and 50" are the first two big purchases I will be making.

dk

911 GTS Cab
close to, its an epic tv though, i sit so close in my pokey cardboard box of a flat to need anything bigger.

i'll probably get 46" tiny frame 3d next, like yours.

the 9000 series looks cool, bezel is thicker for some reason but the remote has a 3" screen so you can watch another channel on it, no idea why you'd want that, but its fecking cool.