ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

TVCatchup could be in trouble....

dk

911 GTS Cab
Web-TV service TVCatchup has been hit with a joint legal challenge from three British broadcasters alleging infringement of their copyright.

The Freeview streaming service, which launched on iPhone and iPod Touch in October 2009, found its World Cup preparations disrupted last week by a joint legal filing from ITV, Channel 4 and Five.

"TVCatchup do not have a content distribution agreement in place to stream content from any of our channels," said the broadcasters.

"We reserve the right to pursue any site or service we believe to be infringing our copyright or using our content in an unlicensed, illegal capacity."

ITV's desire to tackle TVCatchup has been made more pressing by the launch of its own web-TV iPhone app, which enables users to watch a live simulcast of ITV1 and ITV2.

The two channels are already available on TVCatchup's website and mobile app, along with a near-live simulcast of Channel 4, E4 and Five.

In response to the legal filing, TVCatchup told the Financial Times that it has already applied for court approval of its streaming service.

"TVCatchup is committed to resolving any issue concerning our content distribution, but this will now be an unnecessarily protracted process," said the company.

"Given our free service has developed to be arguably superior to the broadcaster's own offerings in terms of reliability, accessibility, choice and quality, some form of disagreement was inevitable."

The BBC is also understood to be talking to TVCatchup, with the corporation particularly concerned about advertising being run around licence fee-funded content.

In February 2008, TVCatchup was forced to close after broadcasters complained about the "unauthorised commercial exploitation" of their content rights from a recording function on the service.

The website stayed offline until resurfacing in October 2008. It now enables users to watch almost live (one minute delay) transmissions of certain Freeview channels, but without the PRV function. Anyone using the service must have a valid TV licence before accessing the content.

i've never understood how they are allowed to do it anyway in the first place. hope it doesn't go as its a great thing having all the channels in one place rather than having to go to different apps.

they have an ipad landing page now too but the quality leads a lot to be desired compared to the iphone one.

Instead of starting a "legal challenge" why don't the broadcasters look at this and think "hold the f**k on, why don't we save a shed load of cash, support this way of watching live TV online that is already working well and already has alot of people using the service and buy into the company that runs the site"

f**king idiots the lot of em.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
FFS, red tape red tape red tape, they aren't harming anyone FFS, just providing iphone users with tv when they're out of the house. It served me well to watch the England game whilst camping and if I'm bored somewhere.

No one even loses money from the service, its just people being assholes.

E87 118d M Sport
If you already pay for a TV license, I don't see the problem.
Wonder how many people own and iPhone and NOT a TV license LOL.

dk

911 GTS Cab
It worked in south of france last week...they dont pay a license..
what worked, tv catchup for you?

when you sign up you have to have a uk ip address otherwise it won't let you sign up, that way when you do go abroad, as you have a uk account and have said you have a tv license you can use it.

Honda. Tesla Someday
why doesnt TV catchup work on my iphone anymore!? it just says that it needs flash to work and the iphone doesnt support flash!

Golf GTD Mk7
all they would need to do is when signing up, put in your tv licence number and presto. Will be annoying if this is removed :(

Ktec'd 1.2 16v Sport
I only just got using this on my Nokia 5800 It's great to sit on my lunch at work watch Top Gear on Dave. Shame if it goes :(

Tbh I pay a TV license fee so us consumers should be entitled to TVC.

+1

If they wanna get anal about it then link up with TV licensing and on the signup page add your address and TV licence number. Id be happy to do that to keep the service