ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

TV Guru's help please

TBH I think you might be better off with a Sony if you want LCD. Anyway though, I found this quickly;

http://review.zdnet.com/product/flat-panel-tvs/philips-42pfl5603d/32815331

The Good: Consumes less energy than any flat-panel TV we've tested; accurate primary colors; de-judder mode smoothes out motion; handsome styling; solid connectivity with four HDMI inputs.

The Bad: Produces light black levels; energy-saving mode creates distracting black-level fluctuations; dark areas tend toward blue; de-judder processing introduces artifacts; sub-par off-angle viewing.

The Bottom Line: Although it has its share of picture-quality problems, the Eco-friendliness of Philips' 42PFL5603D flat-panel LCD will win the day for consumption-conscious shoppers.

Hawkeye

ClioSport Club Member
  Damage repaired
Want to spend £700 tops,maybe a bit more for the deal of the century.

Hawkeye

ClioSport Club Member
  Damage repaired
Yes mate,keep getting Plasma suggested to me but thought LCD was better?

Yes mate,keep getting Plasma suggested to me but thought LCD was better?

Both have their own benefits. For a great all round solution you can't go far wrong with a good LCD from Sony or perhaps Samsung. As a general rule though plasma will offer deeper black levels, and more fluid 'real' motion. There's nothing wrong with the motion on a good LCD, but a good plasma will almost always have the edge in that regard. Black levels are better on plasma too, and there's no chance of any uneven backlighting or backlight bleed.

The downsides of plasma are that they're heavier, consume more energy, and can possibly suffer from mild temporary image retention or even burn, if you leave a static high contrast image on the screen for hours and hours.

I went for plasma just recently and I love it. I think the 1080p/24 motion is smoother than any LCD I've seen displaying the same material. So smooth that action sometimes appears to actually be in the room with you. Saying that, you won't be disappointed with a good LCD so it really comes down to what you want. If you're a serious movie AV buff, then plasma could be better due to the better blacks and motion. If you're a casual TV watcher then LCD is probably a better bet. If you play lots of games then LCD makes more sense due to zero chance of retention. Saying that, I had an epic gaming sesssion on my plasma the other week and there was no hint of any retention at all.

Only you can decide what's best for you TBH.

One other thing to consider is that plasma will have a lovely glass screen, which I personally prefer to the typical membrane look of an LCD. Plasmas look much better as a piece of furniture because of this IMO.

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
PLasma's have better picture than LCD's. Especially for live football. etc. But if your upgrading from a pants Tv then it wont matter.

I would get Sony or a Samsung LCD.
or a
Panasonic Plasma

What size you looking at >?

Hawkeye

ClioSport Club Member
  Damage repaired
no one picked up on him saying about using the scart sockets for his ps3 and 360 lol

I noticed that,was wondering how long it would take.,i have a 37" Samsung HD LCD at the moment but an unfortunate change in circumstances means i need a new TV,i used to have a 50" Plasma Sony Bravia but i gave it away to my parents when their tv packed up plus my missus(soon to be exmissus,hence the need for new stuff) didnt like a tv that big,im ideally looking for 42",i watch a lot of movies,i play games but not all the time,im ideally after a good tv with a good picture and 42" or above for £700 tops,im not really a techno buff so i am asking for advice here as to what you lot can recommend,links would be great,from what im reading a plasma sounds like the one for me.

Thanks again.

DCi
I would suggest even a casual gamer will pick up the quality between scart and HDMI, I have a 32" which is smaller than all your tellys and it's really noticable

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
42 inch plasma, job done, panny viera, but go onto avforums and read the reviews

3 x Renaults + Lexus
If you are using a PS3 use HDMI leads. But LCD's can despite what ppl say get screen burn or image persistence so DONT buy a TV on this adivce they are wrong. It is less than Plasmas but still a problem. Apart from that LCD use less power and are lighter, but most plasmas beat LCD in the picture department.

The Philips you are looking at is a good screen dont think any of the options ppl have posted will blow it away.

Look also at Samsung LCD/Plasma's & Sharp LCD. Sony & Panasonics are both pretty much equal with maybe Panasonics being slighlty better than Sony on some models, but steer away from LG

The Pioneer Kuro is the best plasma beats anything on the market and the best LCD is the Sharp LC-52XS1E but you need deep pockets

But its all down to personal choice. From someone that knows what they are talking from actual experience (not reading reviews or rating my own purcahse) go instore, get a proper demo and make sure the input sources are all the same when they demo many companies force only certain demo kit to makes others look bador theres to look the best.

I could give list of loads of great screens but it all down to you...

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
I used to have an lcd,i now have a plasma.Its much nicer and as said the finer picture quality comes from my plasma.

They were both 42" by the way

RARE Unmolested Corsa sxi
Both have their own benefits. For a great all round solution you can't go far wrong with a good LCD from Sony or perhaps Samsung. As a general rule though plasma will offer deeper black levels, and more fluid 'real' motion. There's nothing wrong with the motion on a good LCD, but a good plasma will almost always have the edge in that regard. Black levels are better on plasma too, and there's no chance of any uneven backlighting or backlight bleed.

The downsides of plasma are that they're heavier, consume more energy, and can possibly suffer from mild temporary image retention or even burn, if you leave a static high contrast image on the screen for hours and hours.

I went for plasma just recently and I love it. I think the 1080p/24 motion is smoother than any LCD I've seen displaying the same material. So smooth that action sometimes appears to actually be in the room with you. Saying that, you won't be disappointed with a good LCD so it really comes down to what you want. If you're a serious movie AV buff, then plasma could be better due to the better blacks and motion. If you're a casual TV watcher then LCD is probably a better bet. If you play lots of games then LCD makes more sense due to zero chance of retention. Saying that, I had an epic gaming sesssion on my plasma the other week and there was no hint of any retention at all.

Only you can decide what's best for you TBH.

One other thing to consider is that plasma will have a lovely glass screen, which I personally prefer to the typical membrane look of an LCD. Plasmas look much better as a piece of furniture because of this IMO.

recently watched batman in 1080p/24. It was awesome.(epecially the IMAX scenes) As the "director intended it", it says in the manual for my tv. lol. Its a sony LCD btw.