ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

TV dilemma. Advice wanted

CBR1000RR Fireblade
Good day.

I'm In the market for a new TV. My current TV still works just fine but it's now nearly 5 years old and whilst the picture is ok, it's not as clear or as sharp as some of the newer TVs out there.

It's a Samsung 32 inch LED backlit 1080p TV. It just has normal resolution free view built in and is mainly used with my PS4 and occasionally my Apple TV.

I've measured up and I can fit up to a 40 inch TV on the stand and in the alcove where my current TV sits. So, I've been looking round for a new, slightly bigger model.

The things I'm currently debating are this;

1; keep it. It's only used for gaming and the difference between my 1080p picture and the newer models can't be that much difference?

2; buy a 4k LG ultra HD TV that's currently on offer in currys for £449. It's 40 inches and it will fit comfortably in the space I've got. But, it's White with a white remote.

3; Buy a 39 inch 1080p, smart LED LG TV from Amazon for £339. I've seen the same TV in currys and the picture is very good. In between my current TV and the 4k TV imo.

So CS, which option would you go for and why?

Thanks in advance

CBR1000RR Fireblade
Good point Rob. I hadn't considered that actually.

4k only worth it for larger screen tv's?

Cayman S Edition 1
I just bought a Samsung 32" UE32H5500 for gaming on my xbox. It also has wireless and apps like Netflix etc.

Over the moon with the picture quality. So would recommend the 40" version of that for sure.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
I have the 42" version of that. Got it about 18 months ago, bloody fantastic TV.

I spent a lot of time comparing them, and at the time it had the best (imo) smart system so went with it for that reason alone. Picture quality is great, sound is ok but imo sound is crap on most tv's these days, and it works flawlessly with any video format or network attached device I've thrown at it.

CBR1000RR Fireblade
Thanks for the links and input chaps.

Just found A later model of the 40 inch Samsung you mentioned, the h6400.

2013 model, really good reviews, £399 on Amazon

CBR1000RR Fireblade
Another dilemma.

I'm stuck between the Samsung I posted it the LG LB580V.

That also has really good reviews but is £60 cheaper.

Not sure which to go for. Thoughts?

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
Sales of goods is hassle central compared to walking into JL or RS and asking for a new one.

If a tv was considerably cheaper/better from somewhere that doesn't do 5 years then I wouldn't be bothered. If the same then I'd go for the 5 years.
When I got my tv done through S of G it took 1 email that was largely copy and paste from the web and the rest was sorted out just like any other warranty claim.

CBR1000RR Fireblade
I'm on 6-2 this week :)

Just setting it up now. It literally only just fits in the alcove lol

Clio
Thought I'd hijack this thread. I've narrowed myself down to 2 TVs depending on the wall bracket I've got fitting.
It is this one....
http://www.johnlewis.com/samsung-ue48h6410-led-hd-1080p-3d-smart-tv-48-with-freeview-hd/p1391606
or this one...
http://www.johnlewis.com/samsung-ue48h5500-led-hd-1080p-smart-tv-48-with-freeview-hd/p1451296

My thinking between the two.
The more expensive one has fancy voice control, 3D etc that are a bit gimmicky to me. Do I really need this for £200 notes more?
The cheaper one does everything I need if I'm honest.

The one thing I did notice was refresh rate. What is the real difference between 100hz and 400hz?
Anything else I'm missing?
So will the cheaper one do everything I need to play Xbox and watch a bit of TV, few films without me thinking I should have spent more?

Listerine & Poledo
@Gouldy - Option 1
Given there's very little 4k content at this time, why not wait until there's enough to make it worthwhile. By which time the 4K TV's will be significantly cheaper.

@mace¬ Sony of GTFO

Clio
I've had a Samsung for year and never had a problem so thought I'd carry on. What would Sony give me over Samsung?

I've had a Samsung for year and never had a problem so thought I'd carry on. What would Sony give me over Samsung?
Go to a shop and compare all you're interested in.

You just can't buy a TV without seeing it first, imo.

Sony +1 (and I've had more Samsungs than cars).

Craig

ClioSport Club Member
  E46 330i tourer
I've got that tv in a 40" it's a cracking tv mate. The picture is amazing.

Clio
Thats what i want to hear. Going to go have a wander around a few shops at lunch and take a look at whats on offer.

Clio
Settled on the UE48H6400 after a few phone calls Richer Sounds will do it for £549. John Lewis have it for £529 but is out of stock. I want it tonight.
When looking at TVs yesterday I was most impressed with the LG top of the range TVs. they were lovely.