ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tutuur's F7rT'ed, Lowered Renault 9

R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
As promised here is my R9 project thread!
The car how I bought it in December 2010:

IMG_1923.gif

It was a non running 1.4, the heater matrix started leaking and the previous owner thought he would make it to the garage without coolant :p
No problem for me as this gave me the opportunity to buy it cheap. Heater matrix was replaced and when they tried to start the car it appeared the engine was gone.
I didn’t even knew what I Renault 9 was but after searching “Renault 1986” on Marktplaats.nl (marketplace.nl) it popped up 15km away from my house. Gave the man a call and eventually bought it for €400.
First thing I did was remove the 1,4 engine and after breaking the donor Willy the engine went into the 9 (don’t have pics off it. However you can imagine how it looks like in the bay of a 9).
Fitting the engine in to the bay was the easy part, the worst part was wiring it all up. Unfortunately the 9 doesn’t have 1 big connector but the diagnosis (oil press light, alternator light etc.) connector sits on the right side of the bay.
When finally I got everything wired up properly it was time to custom fit the shifter rod and the exhaust, this is how the exhaust looks:

IMG_1921.gif

IMG_1922.gif

It didn’t take long before I started ‘pimping’ the car, so out came the coilies which were on the Willy and lowered the rear torsion bar too, I also took a small lip off the Sport alloys so they’d fit in the rear arches cause it was a bit tight!

foto.gif

foto1-2.gif

IMG_1972.gif

And this is how it looks:

foto9.gif

foto8.gif

Took the bumpers and spoiler off and sprayed them matt black to make them look “as new” (could be done again by now) and fitted new chrome strips.
Imo the front was to high but I couldn’t wind down the coilies any further (bumpstop already hacksawed to 1cm and only have 1cm left to move).
after searching around the net I discovered Golf 1 topmounts would be the solution, I sawed a few centimeters off the top to clear the hood and also make them a bit weaker so they would flex when weight is on the wheels:

e41ea1ed.gif

7429ad0c.gif

The front has been lowered by 4cm extra or so:

0b1a6439.gif

The driveshafts now hit the beams however it’s a self clearing issue :p
And here is it next to my €300 winter 5:

31d590ca.gif

And on the driveway:

IMG_2075.gif

Lowering it this much offcourse comes with risks which soon came true:

IMG_2102.gif

Look at the crack on top off the thread! And the rest looks like this:

IMG_2226.gif

IMG_2227.gif

IMG_2230.gif

IMG_2231.gif

The rear was still a tad too high compared tot he front so pulled the torsion bar out again and lowered it by another 3cm (last time I measured it was more than 12cm more to the ground than factory specs):

foto-6.gif

Got a bit bored by the Sport wheels so bought a brand new set of BBS LM replica’s, took them to the machinery to take 5mm off the inner lip and fitted 185/35/17 tyres:

velgbinnen.gif

velg.gif

auto2.gif

IMG_2439.gif

Looking at previous pics i don’t have to tell you it was a hell off a job to make it fit! Lots of hamering and angle grinding involved, and I still doesn’t fit actually :p (not to mention the front on full lock!).

IMG_2436.gif

IMG_2435.gif

Some fun down town:

foto1-4.gif

foto-7.gif

And it now looks like this, the APK (MOT) trim:
foto023.gif

foto022.gif

it was time for a new engine cause i got bored of the n/a power the F7R produced.
first of all i have to say, i already have a fully forged F7R in the shed which is going to drive my Gtt, only thats taking a while so had to build something in the meantime!
that said this build had to be as low budget (but good) as possible. so not spending money on new stuff when it could be used easily....also the goal was to do as much as possible myself, it being the first engine i ever rebuilt.
i did replace bearings, rings, arp rod bolts etc. as i didn't want to budget out the wrong bits.
pics:

Afbeelding001.gif

Afbeelding002.gif

Afbeelding003.gif

Afbeelding004.gif

Afbeelding005.gif

Afbeelding006.gif

Afbeelding007.gif

Afbeelding009.gif

Afbeelding010.gif

Afbeelding012.gif

Afbeelding013.gif

turbo.gif

motorblok021.gif

motorblok018.gif

motorblok022.gif

motorblok013.gif

9c0c0786.gif

motorblok12004.gif

and some pics of the engine in the 9, i first had to tidy up the bay a bit.

foto1-5.gif

to:

motorblok12006.gif

chargecooler rad behind the grille:

motorblok12002.gif

motorblok12001.gif

and engine in:

motorblok12008.gif

motorblok023.gif

had some fun with the torsion bars out a while ago btw :p

foto016.gif

Last edited:
  R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
thanks lads!

it wasn't my first choice of car too but it was cheap and when changing things my love for it started to grow too!
Sport wheels are going back on this season!

PB Clio 172
I love this so different

If you lived in the UK you would get slated but you don't so its really cool ! Love it !

R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
+1 LMs are abit too big and blingy but looks epic, bet it goes well!

i love LM's but i have to admit they don't look great on the 9. just couldnt dignify the €900 i paid for them so had to put them on. also was a bit of a challenge thing to get them to fit.

few running vids:

[youtube]jNVl1I0rb0Y[/youtube]
[youtube]suG3mIRRjjA[/youtube]
[youtube]ePcvXGl5ZCE[/youtube]

going to complete it tomorrow and make a few run in/test runs.. i'm waiting for my ecu to turn up so then its boosting time

Tangoed Works
Mega. Had one of these in Cyprus back when we were 21. Such an ace car to do handbrake turns in and never missed a beat!

RS Megane DCi 175
That looks brilliant - I'd love to buy a cheap hack like this and throw some mental mods at it, sadly only have space for one car!

R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
the car is currently up and running @ 0,5bar (7psi) atm:

[youtube]9mlHEMCqWSk[/youtube]
[youtube]iiBfe0VNX_Y[/youtube]