ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Turning an Exhaust camshaft?

172 Ph1/Scooby MY00
I'm trying to rotate an exhaust camshaft to position the groove to be able to fit the Renault horseshoe tool as part of a timing belt change. I think it flipped 180 degrees and is giving lots of resistance getting it back round. Is there a correct way to turn it back, e.g. clockwise or anti clockwise. I'm using an 18mm socket on the pulley nut with an extension so is it just a case of 'manning up'?

Ph2 172
sounds like if it has spun 180 and locked up it could be a valve touching up against a piston in which case if you force it you run the risk of bending some thing, dont hold me to it but thats how it sounds

Ph2 172
it is quite possible that will be the case, just make sure you mark it up on the crack as aposed to the pully so you dont loose the position

172 Ph1/Scooby MY00
Or go back the way you think it went using the horseshoe to turn.

Cheers. Just wish I knew the way it had gone round! It's a 165000 mile engine that's down on compression and made below 160 hp and below 140 lb/ft at Surrey RR so a little old on its legs. I'm just messing with it before I work on the better engine. The rocker cover got damaged exposing a cam so it's going to be rebuilt. I will remove the rock. cover and have a good look. I bet I've bent a valve! Oh well, stuff happens.