ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Turn on as car turns off?

MK2 Clio
Does anyone know how to wire something to draw power when the car is off, when the car is on (or ignition is on) it will turn off?
Many Thanks

E46 M3
Easy with a relay. Wire the coil to the ignition live then whatever you want to turn on to the normally closed pole of the relay via the battery.

This however is a really good way of flattening the battery!

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
@ Rob - I like the cut of your jib with the flamethrowers idea!

@ Sparky - Very easy to do this but you need a 5 pin 12v relay rather than a 4 pin unit that is rated accordingly for the circuit you want it to switch (Though most are either 20A or 40A and are capable of switching most general electrical items). As above by Ian_S, don't try to run something with a heavy pull as you will come out to a flat battery and get "click, click, click, click" from the starter.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
You should be safe with that... pretty sure you can buy these as a fully built or even a DIY build kit from Maplins

"Navy" N17 TWO
Or why don't you get a Clifford? - good alarm, insurance approved, loads of features - it even has a real flashing light ;)

"Navy" N17 TWO
I got one in mine for around £300 IIRC - the FIRST thing the car was booked in for when I got it