ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

turbo + 438s

Evo 5 RS
Absoloutely. Personally wouldn't bother though. Save the money for the bottom end. Unless of course you already have 438s!

KTM 990 SD / S60 D5
Have the cams fitted, have spoke to ktec about this and they said it would be ok, just wanted to get some more opinions.

Evo 5 RS
Way it goes though, can't always plan ahead! You'd want a cam thats more suited to the flow characteristics of b00st. Will still be better than stock cams, wouldn't worry about it

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
Way it goes though, can't always plan ahead! You'd want a cam thats more suited to the flow characteristics of b00st. Will still be better than stock cams, wouldn't worry about it

works the other way round really, you need cams that encourage the turbo to spool. Generally the wilder the cams, the more suited they'll be to bigger turbos that boost later on for big power. Turbo cams tend to be a lot shorter duration, lower lift, and lots less overlap than N/A . A wild turbo cam is usually getting on for something like a standard or mildly upgraded N/A version

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
the alternative that's worth considering is that supercharger tuning (or at least centrifugal chargers) can be looked at a lot like N/A. 438s should be pretty fantastic with a Rotrex

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
438 inlet cam and standard exhaust cam would work well too.

Agreed, hotter inlet only is a good way to go when turboing most N/A engines. Although the 438 is probably a step too far unless going for big power.

Ive been thinking about putting a 197 inlet cam into my phase 1 turbo when I have the head off to re-ring it.

Trophy,R26,GSXR1000
Agreed, hotter inlet only is a good way to go when turboing most N/A engines. Although the 438 is probably a step too far unless going for big power.

Ive been thinking about putting a 197 inlet cam into my phase 1 turbo when I have the head off to re-ring it.

Think the 197 inlet will be a bit wild as well mate, when I had one measured it came out at 231 degrees @1mm and 11.3mm lift

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
lol do you really need to be all the way up there on that thing? f**k dat.

Generally I change at about 6800rpm or so when accelerating hard in a straight line as it does love to rev (peak power is at just under 6500rpm currently), but its handy to have the extra RPM on tap if you are coming out of a bend as it accelerates so quickly in the lower gears that otherwise you are having to change gear when you are barely past the apex even if you go in at 4Krpm in the first place.

Situation I have currently is that if I wind the boost up I can have more torque than I would want at 5Krpm already, but I cant increase the power at 7500rpm that way as the engine doesnt want to breathe that far up, so if I can get a hotter inlet cam in that shifts that bias upwards it will be well worth doing.

That said, im sure the box isnt going to like seeing those revs often at the same time as quite a bit of torque, which is the big downside to turbo clio ownership IMHO.