ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Trying a new wax

2007 clio dynamique
Hi im just wondering when trying a new wax is it best to remove the old wax layer first before applying the new stuff or can you just apply it over the top obviously after the cars had a wash thanks

Golf GT & A4 Avant
A new layer of wax will only be as good typical as your original layer of wax, as soon as that starts to deteriorate your new wax bonding to this and not directly to the panel doesn't have much choice

Unless you have a super durable base wax topped off with a short lived glossy wax, best to strip of off and start afresh

W

WAR 23N

Strip it and start a fresh, only real way ur goin to get ur best result

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Strip it back and either give it a fresh polish or a glaze to give the wax the best chance of showing it's looks off.

2007 clio dynamique
Whats the best thing to strip it back with because at the minute im using born to be mild and obviously that wont touch it

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Have you got a suitable wash routine already? you should ideally be washing, tar remover, iron remover, claying before you apply any new wax or sealant. that should rid your paint of most if not all wax before you start to polish or cleanse.

W

WAR 23N

If your going to be applying a new wax id definitely be claying!!

Golf GT & A4 Avant
If I'm just stripping of an old wax to apply new, I would use iron remover, tar remover, then either an IPA wipe down or pre wax cleanser or glaze, this should remove everything.

I clay depending on condition of the paintwork, so providing you keep ontop of your wax or sealant I'm only claying once every 12 to 18months, unless there is a particular contaminant or fallout that needs attention

2007 clio dynamique
Well i clayed my car around a week ago , so if i washed , de iron , de tar and then use the poorboys blackhole it will be fine ?

Golf GT & A4 Avant
I'm sure that blackhole has a little cleaning ability to it, whether it be chemically in its make up or just from the physical process of application. You'll be fine