ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

True or Not -must be 25 to test drive a renaultsport model?

Monaco Blue 172 (56/468)
Read a copy of Evo mag today and someone wrote in saying they couldnt test drive a new 197 because renault dealers wont allow anyone under the age of 25 test drive a renaultsport model? I didnt think this was the case.

Lionel Richie
i drove a 197 and i'm 22, rocking up to the dealership in a 255 probably helped though ;)

go to a renault sport track day, you can drive any of the cars there

Racing blue 182 turbo :-)
As long as you can drive you can testdrive any car they said at renault in stoke i was wondering same thing

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
Well as i understand it, most dealerships don't allow SALES STAFF under 25 to drive the Sport models either.

Believe what you will but thats from a mate who is a Renault Salesman.

MINI Cooper S
Well i work for Mini, and we can take anyone on a test drive as long as they have a full UK driving license. However we can refuse a test drive if say for example a bunch of young lads came in wanting a demo in the Cooper S GP or something similar!

1.8 Civic EX
i test drove a 172 when I was loking for one....salesman didn't ask and questions at all..just went got the keys...we went out...came back I handed back the keys and that was that..

Monaco Blue 172 (56/468)
i test drove a 172 when I was loking for one....salesman didn't ask and questions at all..just went got the keys...we went out...came back I handed back the keys and that was that..

Same with me and if i decided to test drive a 197 i wouldnt expect them to refuse me one and only offer a test drive as a passenger - id tell them to stick it and that they have lost a potential sale. This guys letter went on to say that it only applied to dealerships owned by renault uk and that franchised dealers could offer a test drive to anyone under 25!?

Trophy #473
i have a 172 and went to test drive a 197, basicly told me to f**k off, went to honda, test drove a bread van and they even offered me a cup of tea.

Racing blue 182 turbo :-)
They cant not let you really what if you want to buy the car you will want a test drive first lol

MINI JCW
I test drove a 182 at 21 and the 197 when I was 23

I guess its upto the individual dealer to decide whether or not to let you drive the car or not. I can see it from their point of view as they must get annoyed when young lads just want to drive the car with no intention of buying the problem is that if they dont let people have a test drive then they are unlikely to buy from them.

I reckon they use the over 25 rule if they think you have no intention of buying

Blown up 182 & Mondeo TDI
I test dorbe a 172 when i bought my 182 as they werent actualy on sale yet and i was only 21, didnt even ask to see my licence.

Dealers have top whack insurance that allows anyone to drive pretty much anything.

Scirocco GT 210
I test drove a RS 197 at a Renault dealership and i'm under 25. Was told you have to be 21 or over.

They didn't look at my driving license or any ID though, so I could have been any age!

tiTTy & SV650
The guy who wrote in complaining prob went in in a tracksuit with a gold chain and socks over his trousers.

at 21 they told me I couldnt afford a 2nd hand 172 and weren't going to let me test drive it. I talked them into it and then went and bought my new 182 elsewhere to spite them.

Clio 182
I test drove a few with no problems, they came with me - bu thats probably expected if you're 21 in most cases (independant garage where i finally bought one from just gave me the keys though)

my mate just bought a 172 and his test drive was being driven by the salesman, so i guess it just depends

Glacier White 197 Cup
What i heard is that you had to be 25 to test drive the 255 from a dealership, duno about the 230 though.

BMW E46 330i Touring
Test drove a 182 at 23, no questions asked. Actually, I think they even just took my word that I had a licence!

RB 182
Matt pleece on here test drove an 05 reg 182 the other day and hes just turned 18.. Didn't make him drive 'slowly' either or even question him on anything i don't think. Booking mine tomorrow hopefully :)

I test drove a 182 at 19. Didn't even ask to see my license or anything! Might be suspicious of a young guy wanting to test drive a new car for the hell of it.

visualize whirled pe
I think it depends on the dealers insurance and the salesman you are dealing with. When I was 18 I used work in a jag dealership and had to drive Jag XKRS's, XJRS (v12 supercharged) and limited production TWR twin turbo converted XJ saloons, some of them were in excess of 600bhp.

Basicly it's up to the sales person you are dealing with, if they think you are just turning up to mess them around, waste fuel and get a sales car dirty for no good reason then, naturally, they'll tell you to do one.

My dad's is in his 50's and has been refused test drives in certain cars for one reason or another, so I dont think it's always down to age. When he went to buy his SLK 320 I went with him and the sales guy even offered me a test drive of it to secure the sale, basicly he knew I'd convince my dad to get it after taking it out for a spin, making his job easier.

Engles Mummy
Not true.

I test drove the following at 18/19 -

172/182 cup & trophy
R23 meg
v6 255

If you show your not a complete r****d & are infact a general buyer, you can test drive anything.

Lux'd Glacier White R26
BS IMO...

"Sorry Mr Rooney, we are rejecting your request for a test drive because you're only 21"

Obviously opposite end of the scales, money wise, but if you show them that you're a genuine buyer, have money, or have a reasonable car to part with, they won't say no. Oh, and i doubt that Rooney would look to buy any RS model btw ;)

Tys.

LY V6 with Recaros
Well I test drove the 182 when I was about 22, I recently test drove a 225 and 197 and I'm 24. They didn't ask my age. And I look about 17!

'03 172, now a 2004 CTR
I read this last night!!

I have just bought a 172, i test drove one in the end of january and the salesmen had no problem with it. I'd just turned 20 btw.

...however the Renault 1 week insurance scheme would not insure me as I was under 30...hmm

Mk1 Ph2 1.4 RT !FOR SALE!
Just echoing everyone elses comments - i test drove the meg sport when it was first released at 20. Booked it online, showed up and they didnt say anything at all about my age

I turned up in my 182 and took one out with no questions asked.

However I found Honda gave me this crap when asking to test drive a CTR.

Allan-

ClioSport Club Member
Hmm never had a problem getting a test drive myself.
I was in our local honda dealer just before christmas and they offered me a CTR to test drive said they would book one in for me as soon as they had one in!

My Civic was in for a 12k service i didnt ask but the sales man came up offered me a coffee and was trying to get me to buy a new shape CTR.

So it might even depend if they have some monthly sales figure to hit too !
im 24 but got my civic at 22 had no problem test driving that either and i turned up in dirty overalls :D

BMW Z4 3.0i
Well i work for Mini, and we can take anyone on a test drive as long as they have a full UK driving license. However we can refuse a test drive if say for example a bunch of young lads came in wanting a demo in the Cooper S GP or something similar!

I asked a salesman at a mitsubishi garage to open an evo they had outside so I could have a look. He refused and when I asked why, he said it would be a waste of his time ...I was absolutely livid.

I think I was 23 when I bought my 172 and I test drove it first. The salesman came with me and the gf in the car.