ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

trouble fitting ktr / vibra gearbox mount

182T
For anyone who has fitted one - I can't seem to get the mount far enough down the spigot/shaft for it to protrude and get the nut on. The mount parts go over the thread but not the main shaft body. (tray removed for clarity)

DSCN2133.JPG
DSCN2135.JPG

Any suggestions?

182 Trophy
I fitted mine recently and had to very slightly enlarge the hole in the new mount to fit over the spindle. I used a dremel and had to take very little off it. I know you shouldn't have to do this - but I did read about someone else having the same problem.

182T
markoc - was that on both the metal/rubber ring part in the first pic and also the main mount body? Did you get the ring (first pic) to sit flush on the base where the spindle meets the 'tripod' part of the gearbox bracket? thanks for your help.

01 Clio 172 PH1
i have the same problem...still havent fitted my gearbox mount on yet
how much difference are there? i havent measured it with a vernier caliper yet but it seems its off by quite a bit
also..which part of the engine should i jack when installing the mounts? my garage airgunned the engine mount in and the hex bolts are sort of rounded now...so i don't want to take it back and take this on myself..

@_Jackson_ did you manage to get your mount on in the end?
thanks

182T
a few minutes with a round file and it was on. A fair bit of vibration, I'll re-seat them at some point. I was also a little concerned about losing the square nut that helps locate the engine mount on the new spindle but k-tec told me it should be fine - so we'll see.

A jack under either end to keep it in the same place is fine.

01 Clio 172 PH1
did you file the whole shaft inside the bushing or just the edges?
and... jack on oil sump for engine mount/jack on engine/gearbox casing for top gearbox mount?
thanks

182T
Didn't touch the spindle, just filed out the hole in the bush and also through the center of the mount - the mount took a little more filing than the bush.

Yes, jack on sump then on gearbox - don't try to lift them, just take the weight.

01 Clio 172 PH1
ahh got it...will do it when i get a proper jack..ta!

wait did you use two jacks? or just one but move it around for each side

01 Clio 172 PH1
first attempt...realized i didnt have a 18mm socket... went out and bought one
second attempt...cant get the mount off after undoing the 3 bolts... its proper stuck to the gearbox mount bolt....
tried prying it out with gearbox jacked up or released....but the rubber just takes the force

any other ideas before i give up and leave it to my mechanic?

172 Turbo
tap it down, it doesn't need to come off. I spent an age trying to get it off, then realiased it just needs tapping down over the spindle

01 Clio 172 PH1
but if i dont take it out how can i replace it with the new mount?
i tried tapping the gearbox mount bolt itself with a rubber hammer but didnt work as well

01 Clio 172 PH1
sorry yea the old mount is stuck...
crowbars....the best thing i had was a big long screwdriver.....

i was thinking if i should buy a bearing puller and have the legs grab hold of the metal plate...reckon it will work?
040210607.jpg

172 Turbo
Might do but have you got space under it to get the feet under?

Could just take the mount off completely and then tap the spindle out

01 Clio 172 PH1
if i jack up the gearbox then yea...the legs should fit under the mount flange bit

i did try to take the whole gearbox mount bolt out but i couldnt reach the bottom bolt with a wrench

172 Turbo
I'm not sure if this will work, if you support engine with jack, undo the dogbone. You may be able to lower it further

01 Clio 172 PH1
yea thought about it but....in my case its complicated....
long story short... my subframe doesnt have the hole for the lower gearbox mount so the mount is missing for now...

01 Clio 172 PH1
So how is the engine held in? Surely it is rocking like mad?!
not really...i dropped the box with mount bolt off and the box is still held in place by "something else" it seems...cause it wasn't resting on the subframe as far as i can see

anyways.... my version of the upper gearbox mount guide

put car on stands, place jack under gearbox but do not raise it, loosen middle 18mm nut and the two 13mm mount nuts, do not take out
11008804_10152914869249615_802872794415120772_n.jpg

jack box up, remove all the bolts and nuts, fit bearing puller in, a bit fiddly but it came out without much force
11081331_10152914869419615_5050573523602468703_n.jpg

filed the bottom rubber bit a little, went right in, took a while to file the metal bit inside the bushing cause it couldn't clear the gearbox mount bolt hex bit...tighten the new middle nut (19mm) and mount bolts/nuts (13mm), use your fingers to hold down the nut, once you reach a certain point, the bracket has some edges on the side to hold the 13mm nut in place so just tighten the bolt, success:smiley:
11082605_10152914869554615_4717437356887205342_n.jpg

note: loosen and move ecu bracket a bit for more space for fit hand and put the top nut on, i dropped the nut and took an hour to find it, it ended up being inside the subframe between the wishbone mounting points