ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Trophy to Full fat 200

Hi, first post.:p

Has anyone went from a trophy to a full fat 200 (no cup chassis)?

What did you think?

Drove the 200 and it seems pretty good.

Clio 172 PH2
I have a clio200 with cup packs, as well as my 172 track toy. The 200 is fantastic! as a factory car out of the box it is phenomenal. When my 172 was a full car it didnt drive anywhere near as good as the 200 as a daily. However i do have a soft spot for the trophy! tough decision mate

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Has anyone went from a trophy to a full fat 200 (no cup chassis)?

What did you think?

Drove the 200 and it seems pretty good.

I test drove a 200 non-cup, then a 200 cup, then bought a 197 Cup (to replace my Trophy). It was sold after 3 weeks.

Not as good as the Trophy if you are after 100% fun, but better as a day to day proposition.

However, when you are thinking about one as a day to day proposition, the dire mpg means that their are far better cars out there for that role.

Imho.

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Mini x 2
The MPG isn't as terrible as people make out. Yes, mine occasionally drops to 26mpg (spirited driving) but normal driving (Combination of town, m'way and a few b road blasts) sees me at 30 - 32mpg most weeks.

This is in a 197 with 60k on the clock.

However, when you are thinking about one as a day to day proposition, the dire mpg means that their are far better cars out there for that role.

Imho.

What like in your opinion? It's too hard (read illegal speeds) to have fun in fast german cars, tried it.

I'm not fussed on MPGs.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
What like in your opinion? It's too hard (read illegal speeds) to have fun in fast german cars, tried it.

I'm not fussed on MPGs.

I think my problem was that the interior fit, finish & quality was simply too poor to warrant the cost of the car - for a daily driver anyway. My 197 also averaged 29mpg, which was the same as the M3 i had previously. A clio for me, is a cheap, fun car, with minimal running costs, so having to pay good money for one, & then follow it up with poor mpg's, made it a poor choice imho.

However, if you just want fun, and dont live on the motorway, they are pretty unbeatable.

Why do you want to get rid of the Trophy?

Why do you want to get rid of the Trophy?

I don't necessarily. Just sold a Boxster S and was gonna buy a V6 but not sure if I can jusitfy 15k worth of clio sat in a garage probably doing bugger all miles a year.

Veering towards just selling the T and getting a 200. Or a 350z, can't decide.

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
Don't know what all the bad MPG talk is about.

Theyre great cars, Recaros are a must in them IMO.
The standard seats look lost in the mk3 Clio.

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
My 172 was averaging around 37-38 and I'm averaging 33-34 in the 200.

I don't drive stop start around towns/ cities everyday.

My driving is B road stuff mainly. I'm guessing the consistency is helping.

Im just going from my own personal experience. Each to their own.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
My 172 was averaging around 37-38 and I'm averaging 33-34 in the 200.

I don't drive stop start around towns/ cities everyday.

My driving is B road stuff mainly. I'm guessing the consistency is helping.

Im not having a go by the way, my experience was that speeds up to 65ish, the 197/200 is very similar to the 1*2, but anything above that and it really tails off due to the low gearing/excessive weight. Thats based on based on a 90 mile a day private road commute, so averaging circa 75-85 leptons.

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Mini x 2
7 mpg difference works out at roughly £400 over 10,000 miles (depending on fuel costs of course, i've worked that out at £1.30ish/l).

Not a massive amount to be fair if you only do 10k per year. About 3 pints of lager a week! lol

It all depends on how many miles you are doing really.

Anyway OP isn't bothered about MPG so i've just wasted 5 mintutes of works time!

Dave has the attention span of a toddler in a library so I'd maybe not 100% trust what he says.

See if you can get a 200 out on a proper test drive.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
The 200's the better car. The Trophy is more fun... for a couple of hours.

Mine's done almost 4k miles since I took delivery and is freeing up nicely.

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Mini x 2
I'd be tempted to try a Mini Works GP as well tbh. That was on my list of cars to buy this time round.

One of the new ones, or the original one from a couple of years back?

If it's the original charged one, I wouldn't bother personally. Have you driven one? I have and was far from impressed. I can't speak for the new ones, not driven one.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
He means the R53 GP. The new one's only just been announced.

I wasn't than impressed with them either, but then I don't like superchargers that much.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
If it's the original charged one, I wouldn't bother personally. Have you driven one? I have and was far from impressed. I can't speak for the new ones, not driven one.

One of the originals, havent tried one of them specifically, but Sarah's brothers MCS is quite fun - does have silly cams, obscene boost & nigh on 250bhp though, so it does drive slightly differently to a 'normal' one.

I think its the rarity of the Gp that appeals, & the residuals of course - always useful when you change your car every 3 months :eek:

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Mini x 2
The GP I've driven was around 250 bhp, but the power delivery was really odd, unlike any other charged car i'd driven. It seemed you either had all or nothing, i didn't like it! lol

Does the rumour abour cup chassis and geometry hold any truth? That guy in evo had to get his geo done every 2 months as his car was rattling it'self loose. :race:

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Mini x 2
I've had mine for a couple of months, and it's fine. Last time it was done was almost a year ago and all seems well ATM

FiestaST(ex 172 Cup)
If I may compare the 200 (test drove one yesterday) to my 172 Cup, I think I actually prefer my car. They may be just as fast as each other, but the 200 doesn't feel it, and for me the way a car actually feels is what counts rather than its outright speed. It had no eagerness to get going, but it had only done 3000 miles. That said it was a nicer place to be, the interior is obviously a huge step forward.

But given the choice of spending £10-11k on an early 200, or to keep my car (which needs no money spent on it) would be a bit nuts if I'm honest.

Bendunn

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy #24 NimbusR27
I went from a r27 to a trophy, r27 much better day to day, more comfy better equipment but the trophy is much more fun! The Mpg was killing me on the r27 trophys much better on fuel!

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
Done 1900 miles in mine now, it really has come alive. I do not believe the MPG figures to be honest with you they don't add up!

I've not had anything over 28mpg out of it but i've been getting more to a tank than my old car that was doing 32 for the most part & they have the same size tank!

Good old french. I love mine tho regardless, barrels of fun.

Done 1900 miles in mine now, it really has come alive. I do not believe the MPG figures to be honest with you they don't add up!

I've not had anything over 28mpg out of it but i've been getting more to a tank than my old car that was doing 32 for the most part & they have the same size tank!

Good old french. I love mine tho regardless, barrels of fun.

Did you change from a Trophy?

Mini 1000/172/Leon
One of the originals, havent tried one of them specifically, but Sarah's brothers MCS is quite fun - does have silly cams, obscene boost & nigh on 250bhp though, so it does drive slightly differently to a 'normal' one.

I think its the rarity of the Gp that appeals, & the residuals of course - always useful when you change your car every 3 months :eek:

If after the mini go for the R56 Cooper S Works around 10k atm but been in a mates one and with a simple remap it was running just over 270bhp seriously rapid little car and they pop on the overun as well :D

i was all set to buy a 182 then decided to go for a 197. as a daily i think the 197 will be a better place to sit, im averaging 28mpg round stop start traffic only had the car 1 week though so cant comment on mpg yet haha

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Mini x 2
If after the mini go for the R56 Cooper S Works around 10k atm but been in a mates one and with a simple remap it was running just over 270bhp seriously rapid little car and they pop on the overun as well :D

Sorry but i'm calling bullshit. 60+bhp from a ramap on a 1.6? Not a chance. Maybe 240ish at a push.....