ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Trophy Project 40/500

Just looked through some of the pictures again ;)

I'm surprised no one picked up on it, but look at the stub axles :dapprove: one of them is bent, in fact it's totally useless, shame as i bought it too replace a damaged one :mad::mad:

So on the look out for another one :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Oh and if your worried i'm destroying a Trophy, you far from it, i'm obliterating it, The only redemable thing to point to it being a Trophy is the log book, and i'll not be driving round with that stuck in the window :nono:

To me it's a little red car, like the one Nicole used to drive ;)

Chris

I miss Nicole she was fit as f**k

;)

Golf GTD Mk7
lol, only a clio chris mate. so what if you're abusing the trophy. Good on you I say. It might be the "best" clio in the range, but I can still be improved and as it's a track car the only way to do that is rip it all out and start again. :approve:

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
This will be the "best" clio for the track once its finished IMO. Chris's knowledge is unbelievable.

Trying to line up a sequential box at a good price, agreed a price, but the deal seems to be lagging :dapprove:

Also the cams are pi55ing me off, trying to get hold of them is near on impossible, either the C&B's or Schrick, at this rate i'll be using 428's :dapprove:

Sprayed the sump today, short of getting the cams sorted and hopefully securing the box, the engine's ready to be re fitted :D

Throttle bodies still haven't arrived and the AST sportline II's still have yet too materialise :mad:

Spoke to Curtis earlier though and he assures me the top mount to use as a template has been despatched today, not sure what he's sent, but he says the m3 mount has changed and is no longer suitable :S

I should hear from the dippers next week too, the shell can then be sent on to the fabricators, before going back ;)

340i
all coming together nicely!! shame other parts are holding you up :mad:

A few guys on here run the C&B cams... Toxic66 is his name? Or perhaps try contacting Henk the RStuner guy, he has mapped a few cars with those cams?

As for the Schrick, Yozza is the only "seller" I can think of, tried contacting direct?

Yeah i tried Yozza, that was last week and i've still not heard anything back, he said he'd look in to them, so i'm guessing he's none in stock :(

Chris

Your right there Russ, i've got a mountain of parts and no shell to bolt them too :dapprove:

The shell should make an appearance later this week, it was due to be done around the 19th (Monday)
I just need to collect it, get the fab work done and then take it back down for the 2nd dip/preserve and coat, then it's off too paint, so i reckon Mid November before it's back in the garage and ready for assembly :D

Still no Joy with the Cams though :mad:

Is that your Seat that's up on pistonheads?

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
Cool, thought it was due back soon. It'll be all ready for the road just as the roads are covered in snow/salt ice etc!
Yeah seat's mine mate, wanna buy it? Looking for a 197 cup car for next year ideally.
Russ

172 sport
Big thanks to Chris for the use of his garage and 2 post lift on Saturday,and his help doing the away with the aircon pump on my car,and fitting the cup alternator bracket etc,it made the job alot easier,top bloke,cheers.:star:

Ps Chris,I will be round with the TVR next weekend to give that a quick look over.:D

ive just read this thread
your certainly werent wrong when you said you were going to turn the clio into a full on track car :D
top work !!
also a quick than you to you and paul for the info on tube bending
cheers chaps
:)

ValverInBits
Project looks excellent
Just noticed in post #1 you mention a manual steering rack? Where did you source that?

Yeah there will be decals going back on the skirts in red, still not sure wether to have Trophy or not ;) more than likely will though.

The manual rack was sourced through a garage, it's just a dci 80 rack circa 2002, incidently it won't be making it's way back on to the car at the start though, instead i'll be fitting a ps rack and saxo electric pump.

Chris

Quick update, Nothing is foooooking turning up on time :mad::mad:

Shell back from dippers now next week
Throttle bodies still another 3 to 4 weeks
Cams, sore subject, i think i might be better of buying a lump of steel and chewing them out myself :rolleyes:
Dampers and top mounts, will probably arrive in time for the next leap year :dapprove:

By the time these bits turn up, i'll be too old to drive the thing :nono:

Other than it's all going well :sleepy:

It always amazes me how companies stay open, when they can't keep lead times to save their lifes :rolleyes:

Turbos.
Welcome to the automotive industry, where you pay thousands of pounds to feel like they are doing you a favour.

I still don't understand why you didn't start with a proper Cup car!

172 Race Car
Lol @ chewing some camshfts yourself. Let me know how you get on and you can knaw me a set up too.

Its not the end of the world that nothings turned up yet, as you have no shell to bolt them too anyway. I know how you feel about not getting stuff when promised. Had some of that recently

Welcome to the automotive industry, where you pay thousands of pounds to feel like they are doing you a favour.

I still don't understand why you didn't start with a proper Cup car!

Your right about that, they do think they're doing you a favour :rolleyes:

2 reasons i didn't start with a cup car, 1st one i already had the Trophy and had started modifying it (long before these plans came to life), plus it wouldn't have fetched too much in the state it was, and the 2nd one is, i'd rather have a rhd than lhd, plus with the mods i'm doing the cup racer electrics were no good anyway.

Jay, you say they're not really holding me up, but they are ;), the fabricator is waiting for the shell, the painter is waiting for the shell, Freds waiting for the engine and cams, The throttle bodies i can wait for and probably the dampers too, but i forgot to mention on the previous list, i'm also waiting for the pdm :rolleyes:
The more parts i can get now, the easier it will all go together once the shell comes back.

Anyway i took one of the stub axles round to a local engineering superstar, he was out :dapprove: But i'm going to get the stub axles shaved a touch, to allow 2-3 degrees of negative camber without the use of shims, i can then always fit the odd shim if required to match the sides and get the toe equal ;)

TVR Cerbera
Anyway i took one of the stub axles round to a local engineering superstar, he was out :dapprove: But i'm going to get the stub axles shaved a touch, to allow 2-3 degrees of negative camber without the use of shims, i can then always fit the odd shim if required to match the sides and get the toe equal ;)

what a top idea, i like that..................goes off into the garage to find the angle grinder............;)

Angry grinder :D

I measured up a 1 degree shim i've got in the garage and the difference is 1.2mm, so 1.2mm of the top edge to nothing at the bottom should give 1 degree.

The only thing that doesn't seem right is that the stub axles i've removed have a differnce of 0.6mm or 0.5 degree. I'm sure when it was on the beam it had more than that, so maybe the rear beam is slightly out :dapprove:

When i get the beam back i'll build it up and check how far out it is, then have the stub axles machined to suit.

Have you mentioned what this car is going to be used for? Just track days?

That's the question Jay ;)

To start with i'll be track daying it to iron out any issues there may be (or not ;))

But i fancy some kind of motorsport, down side is, the clio is just not competetive enough for the series i was going to do, and now the amount of mods i'm doing, move me in to an even more competitive class.

We'll see, you never know i could be along side you on the grids :rasp:

TVR Cerbera
Angry grinder :D

I measured up a 1 degree shim i've got in the garage and the difference is 1.2mm, so 1.2mm of the top edge to nothing at the bottom should give 1 degree.

The only thing that doesn't seem right is that the stub axles i've removed have a differnce of 0.6mm or 0.5 degree. I'm sure when it was on the beam it had more than that, so maybe the rear beam is slightly out :dapprove:

When i get the beam back i'll build it up and check how far out it is, then have the stub axles machined to suit.

let me know how you get on, as i'm inerested in this as i don't like the shims i have and my beam is also different on both sides!

Golf GTD Mk7
That's the question Jay ;)

To start with i'll be track daying it to iron out any issues there may be (or not ;))

But i fancy some kind of motorsport, down side is, the clio is just not competetive enough for the series i was going to do, and now the amount of mods i'm doing, move me in to an even more competitive class.

We'll see, you never know i could be along side you on the grids :rasp:

Thats true, what category you going to fall into? Brit car racing ;)

182 trackday racer
Also the cams are pi55ing me off, trying to get hold of them is near on impossible, either the C&B's or Schrick, at this rate i'll be using 428's :dapprove:

Buy the cams from ACARMILAN in Italy, super fast and service was flawless. Had the cams here at my doorstep in Sweden one week after my order. Also got 10% off, got them for EUR 781 inc. VAT. Thats almost the same price as the 428's I was about to buy from K-tec.

Henk also recomend the C&B cams:
http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=445189&page=2

Where to order:
http://www.acarmilano.com/inglese/azienda.html

Btw nice build.

Leon Cupra 300
Awesome project, don't bother me you're cutting a Trophy up but if was me i'd be re painting it the same red and keep they grey turinis just as a nod to what it was, if that makes sense.

Failing that, white will look immense. :D

Received a few photo's today of the shell at the Acid Dippers, this is after the 1st soak, where the chassis is cleaned, before being put back in the tank for an overnight dip (tonight) :D:D

Glad to see this project is gathering a bit of momentum again ;)

I should be collecting the shell some time this week :D

Also got one of the stubs machined today, I'm having 2 machined to -2 degrees to start with, but once the car's finished and been to the laser aligners, i'll then get them altered to run -3 degrees, I'm leaving myself the 1 degree to allow for the axle run out.

Acid%20Dipped%20Shell.jpg

Acid%20Dipped%20Shell%202.jpg

Acid%20Dipped%20Shell%203.jpg

Looking well. Did you get the O/S door X-bar sorted beforehand or is that to follow?

Yeah it's all sorted Chris, when i collect the car it's going to the fabricators, seam weld the shell, weld in the door bars, add the additional bracing to the front turrets, rebuild the front turrets to take the subaru top mounts, weld in the strengtheners for a and b pillars,weld up the subframe and back axle.

After all the fab work it's going back down to be re dipped and sent off for coating, before it makes it way back up here for paint :D