ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Trophy Boot Struts

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Just in case anyone is in need of a new pair, I know mine were failing.

From Renault they are around £500 a pair including VAT

But, the struts from the front (bonnet) of a BMW 1 Series (04 on) are the same size and fit. Replaced mine today and they are perfect, stronger than the old ones, hold the boot and actually lift it if its not completely open, and the spoiler still has the same clearance as before.

They are available on eBay here, I bought from here for £39 delivered and the service was excellent too :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/350479082...X:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_2045wt_1413

And a picture, Trophy at the top, the eBay lesjofors BMW ones at the bottom

3694ae79.jpg

According to those over on cliotrophy.net the struts only work poorly in cold weather, something to do with the pressures within the struts/ oil? My boot hardly stays open on its own at the moment, but it has been fine at other times.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Further to the OP they are cheaper here, I think they are the same!

http://www.cargasstruts.co.uk/bmw-series-p-723.html

About £7 cheaper all in!

According to those over on cliotrophy.net the struts only work poorly in cold weather, something to do with the pressures within the struts/ oil? My boot hardly stays open on its own at the moment, but it has been fine at other times.

I read that somewhere too, but for the cost these work all year long ;)

182 Trophy
Nice find. I have trophy 124 and can confirm the boot struts are useless in the current cold weather but fine in the warmer weather.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Well worth getting mate, no longer get eaten by the boot. Still bang my head on it though, damn spoiler.

I can't decided if there is any point. I never ever ever go in the boot. I found a hoodie in there about a month after I put it in because of how little it gets opened.

I can't remember if they were bad in summer or not.

RX7 FD
I regularily get eaten by my boot, especially if the car is on a gradient. Was happening back in the summer as well as now!

Will be ordering some this week I think.

I've been waiting for a post like this, since the weather turned cold, it's been driving me mad (but not enough to spend circa £500 to replace). You've made my day, just ordered a pair from sgs-engineering. :clap:Yay!

Clio 182 ff
Resurecting an long dead thread.

Im i right with the understanding that the trophy struts are shorter than standered?
I have a 182, and my spoiler is catching on the roof bad, and its getting worse. Will the trophy (or bmw 1 bonnet) struts help the spoiler clear the roof? How?
Can anyone tell me the lengh of the Trophy struts?

Thanks guys,

Delta

I guess it really depends on where your spoiler is catching the roof.

You could get the shorter struts, but IMO it sounds like something is fitted correctly. Have you got any photos of the issue?

VIICarCare

ClioSport Club Member
  255, 230, 172, R26
Super job, cheers! Mine came down on my head the other day whilst washing, time to replace them! :)

Clio 182 ff
No picture of the issue.
Going to try removing and refitting the spoiler over the weekend, then if no luck i'll look at getting some new struts.

I had to get some shorter ones when I fitted a cup spoiler to my 172, it was just touching the roof edge in the middle of the spoiler no matter how many times I refitted it or adjusted the washer pipe under there. Bmw 1 series bonnet struts from struts direct.

trophy #417
I used sgs engineering for my trophy was annoying me having to bend over like an old man to get in the boot. I had mine custom made so they were longer than the v6 ones but slightly shorter than standered and still leaves enough space for the spoiler. Service was good and I think it was delivered the next day.
Oh and I laughed hard when Renault quoted 450 for the pair of v6 struts

Dannyeff

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 trophy
thought it would pull this old thread up .. just ordered these. mines is a nightmare and keeps closing .. the simple things :)

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
Jaguar X-type bonnet struts also work and give you slightly more lift than the 1 series/trophy/v6 struts but still give the spoiler clearence

BMW 328i
I used sgs engineering for my trophy was annoying me having to bend over like an old man to get in the boot. I had mine custom made so they were longer than the v6 ones but slightly shorter than standered and still leaves enough space for the spoiler. Service was good and I think it was delivered the next day.
Oh and I laughed hard when Renault quoted 450 for the pair of v6 struts

I know this was a while ago but do you happen to know what size and where you ordered them from?

I have a trophy spoiler on my 182 with shorter trophy struts but I need more room to get in and out of the boot.