ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

trip meter resetting itself

RS Cosworth & Clio 172
anyone had a problem with their 172 re-setting the trip and trip computer information?

ours re-sets over night randomly. don't mind losing the mpg data but the trip info is a pain in the arse as i use the car for company mileage.

dunno if its a problem with the cold weather?

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
yep i've got this problem, as have many others. Some believe the cold effect the chips, but i'm not convinced myself.

RS Cosworth & Clio 172
hmmmm i was a bit doubtful too - how come it don't lose the actual mileage?

gotta be a battery or memory problem i reckon.

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
My 172 was doin this too last year . Was told by renault only cure was too change clocks but this does not cure it as you can see from related threads on here. I changed my battery in december as mine was only doin it cold starts.old battery seemed to start car fine and showed correct volt readings but since i changed it have not had problem again !!! hope this helps, aint sayin dash out and buy a battery but mines ok now!!

davo172 said:
My 172 was doin this too last year . Was told by renault only cure was too change clocks but this does not cure it as you can see from related threads on here. I changed my battery in december as mine was only doin it cold starts.old battery seemed to start car fine and showed correct volt readings but since i changed it have not had problem again !!! hope this helps, aint sayin dash out and buy a battery but mines ok now!!

may be onto something here mine starts 1st time etc etc but leave it for three/four days and is slow to turn could well be batt related...

RS Cosworth & Clio 172
cheers for the reply's. Does seem battery related - that would explain why cold weatehr affects it more.

Ph2 172
Hadn't had a problem, but yeah i think mine did it last week - although it was thursday night/firday morning - and when i started it that morning the temp was showing -8deg. Car was stored outside overnight. so does seem like it might have taken a dislike to extreme cold temperatures.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
it is the cold people! the miles is stored on a different chip than the other computer section stuff iirc, so thats why that stays ok...

Evo VI Tommi Makinen
I get this on mine and i'm convinced its the battery as it didnt happen at all during the summer and only seems to reset itself on cold starts when the engine struggles a bit to get going.
Chavfords do a new one for £40. Gonna give it a try.

Rob

Nike Lunar Elite's
Its definately related to both the cold and the battery. I get it all the time in the winter, but your battery may not need replacing. The positive connections on the battery are so poor. I did this last week > http://cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=126079 and have not had a problem since, plus it now never struggles to start when cold.

mk2 172
hydeyho said:
The positive connections on the battery are so poor. I did this last week > http://cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=126079 and have not had a problem since, plus it now never struggles to start when cold.

i had the same problem as you matey, mine wouldnt start last night, i thought the battery was knackard, checked the connections only to find that the negative connection is crap the original clip put on by renault is loose and can be lifted off even when its tightened to the max so i pushed it back down and it started fine

ant

yep.
strange.

mine starts first time instantly, everytime, but my trip still resets when its cold.

daze said:
strange.

mine starts first time instantly, everytime, but my trip still resets when its cold.

same herebeen fine last 2 days but as soon as temp drops below zero it fooks off again!

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
I was having the same annoying problem - the trip meter was always resetting itself upon starting the car. It began in the Australian summer so cold wasn't an issue, then progressively became worse. With starts getting harder (now in winter), I just changed the battery and the trip meter is maintaining the memory at each start. So far anyway.

Can't guarantee it will work for everyone, but it might be the place to start looking...