ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Trip display

1.2 16v Dynamique
I've posted about this problem before but I have only just taken my dash off and taken a look to try and fix it. Basically my trip display which shows mileage, mpg...etc has a slight fault in the display (See below). Does anybody know what this could be? I have tried tightening the screw behind incase it was a loose connection but that didn't fix it, (Cheers JohnOR for the suggestion) and I've taken my clock apart to look at the SMD's but replacing them is a last resort. Anyone have any suggestions whilst I still have my dash off? Cheers!

IMAG0127.jpg

x37mes.jpg

Last edited:
  Clio 182 arctic
as you can see the top part of the display then its not going to be an smd fault as the lights are clearly working and there is only one row of smd's neway so if it was them it would be all or nothing. i think its more a fault with the display. i had this exact fault on my 1.2. i ended up buying another set of dials with similar mileage and just replaced them. £30 - £40 and the problem goes away, might be easier than wasting more time and energy stressing about it and trying to get to the bottom of it. just plug and play, sorted.

Clio 182 arctic
actually looking at tat 2nd pic again you can just make out the bottom half of the mileage, mine dissapeared fully, you may be right in thinking something is loose then. take it apart and make sure everything is pushed together.

1.2 16v Dynamique
Thanks for your help. I've never understood buying new clocks, surely they're always going to be wrong?

I could take it apart again but everything looked fine the last time, I'm not sure what it could be!

1.2 16v Dynamique
Anyone else any idea? You think it's an LCD issue which I will either need to get replaced or get new clocks? Nothing I can do to fix? Cheers!

mini cooper R50
mine on a mk2 just doent work at all, hasnt since I bought the car, dunno wether something has been took off or if its just shagged :(

LY 220 Trophy+IB PH1
Looks like it might be the display, the bottom half cant quite make up it's mind. They slot out after there taken apart if I can remember back to the last set of dial's I butchered!

1.2 16v Dynamique
Oh right, that would be easy! Can you buy these things separately or do you need to buy new clocks and just use the LCD? Any idea where I could get the screen from if you can get them? Cheers for your help!

1.2 16v Dynamique
I fixed this today, for those who would like to attempt it, it may work for you I'm not sure what I actually did but try it anyway...

Take clocks apart by following the LED conversion guide.
Peel back the vinyl(?) which is stuck down with some sort of adhesive, don't worry it easily sticks back down without bubbles/creases/additional adhesive.
Turn it over and pop out the snap fits on the black part.
The LCD should come out easily from underneath the vinyl.
I just gave it a clean with a dry cloth, looked at it in the light to remove any obvious 'smudges' or defects. Ensured everything looked fine and put it back in by reversing the above steps.

Not sure if this helps anyone but I may as well put it on here on than not...

What I did find also when doing this was that the previous owner, or one before had filled the serv light area in with some sort of silicon filler to stop the light showing, I knew it needed servicing desperately anyway but I do not have the fund at the moment, regardless not nice to find!

Clio 182 arctic
erm the SERV light fella doesnt mean it needs servicing, it means there is a fault, did u also notice that maybe the airbag light had been covered in also, common for people to cover these lights. i would be having another look.

1.2 16v Dynamique
Well it's booked to go and get plugged in at K-Tec tomorrow at 9 anyway, I'll ask them to take a look at it! Cheers for the heads up mate! The airbag light comes on quite often so it isn't covered up, it takes a fiddle with the wires underneath the passenger seat to go off. Hopefully it's nothing serious!