ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Trickle charger on 172

JMR

RB 182 Cup
I havent been using the 172 much recently, been using the missus car instead.

Hence its been 2-3 weeks without going out, then a 1hr blast on a Sunday, then 2-3 weeks before using it again etc etc.

Basically the battery has lost its charge, the radio and alarm still work, just not enough juice to start the car.

Disconnected battery earlier and have bought a trickle charger that I can keep it hooked up to until its good enough to start.

Q. Are these any good?

Q. Hooked it up at 5pm today, will it be ok to start in the morning do you think?

Q. Will i experience any adverse effects on the alarm/radio by disconnecting the battery overnight?

Once i start using it daily again, if I have similar problems, I'll get a new battery.

Any help appreciated chaps.:D

JMR

RB 182 Cup
Can I keep the battery connected to the car normally and just clip the trickle charger terminals on top??

Saves messing the alarm/radio or anything else up.

The guy at the autofactors place down the road said he thinks not.:S

JMR

RB 182 Cup
Ok so I returned the trickle charger back and got my money back this morning.

Because the battery had been disconnected to recharge it, I lost the radio and the alarm went off when I reconnected.

Luckily I had the radio code in the manual.

Funnily enough, the Maypole trickle charger charged the battery fully overnight and the car started perfectly first time this morning.

Any one got any ideas of which trickle charger/ maintenance charger to buy which I can clip onto the battery in its connected state??

I've heard of the Opti-mate and Accu-mate systems along with CTEK.

JMR

RB 182 Cup
Magic stuff, thanks Rich. I didnt know you'd come to the rescue with this type of question!!:approve:

Thats the kind of thing I'm looking for.:D

How you keeping?

106 GTi
I have been using mine for over a year now. I am good ta - you ?

Downside to the 1*2 is you need to connect the lead to the battery which is no biggy, if you have a car that the cigarette lighter works with the ignition off you can connect it that way, just found my 106 GTi will be that way so am on the hunt for a lead for now - seems CTEK have changed the connectors so I am trying to source an older style lead for it !

JMR

RB 182 Cup
SBV116 - cheers mate, yeah can you pass that part code on for me to have a look at.

Rich - I'm alright thanks mate, that CTEK looks a nice piece of kit. I'd like to get something sorted by the weekend, so will give them a call in the morning.

Mondeo TDCI 130
SBV116 - cheers mate, yeah can you pass that part code on for me to have a look at.

Rich - I'm alright thanks mate, that CTEK looks a nice piece of kit. I'd like to get something sorted by the weekend, so will give them a call in the morning.

When i get to work, i will post the part number!

JMR

RB 182 Cup
After some good recommendations I have purchase the OPITMATE III SP charger today from the Forza Italia motorbike shop at Silverstone race circuit.

I notice it says its suitable for batteries up to 32Ah, yet the battery on mine is 42Ah.

Any problem with that? I paid £45 which is about 5quid more than I could get it off the web, but I was desparate - no carriage to pay though:) Not been out in car for a week, started ok this morning, I drove about 13 miles to the Shell garage, filled up, tried to start - nothing!!!:eek:

That was embarassing, I had to get the jump leads out the back of the car and ask someone to be the 'donor car' while everyone queued for fuel behind me.:rolleyes:

It started ok on my way home thank f*ck, the optimate is hooked up now and hopefully doing its stuff.

Lotus Elise 111R
Strange it didnt start after 13 miles. 8 miles is a full charge from jump/flat. The battery may be dead now, see what the conditioner does.

We use a conditioner on our cars, especially a 993 911 that does'nt get used much, and the conditioner will bring it from dead, not even turning over, to perfect the following day.

However, once the battery is fooked, the conditioner will be no use.

Once the porsche is "conditioned", it will start and stop all day every day that it is used, then conditioned if it is to be left for a week or so.

Not sure of the make of mine, but good luck with yours.