ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Treating Rust On a Car You Don't Care About....

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
Hi all,

So my lovely daily Volvo spent most of its previous life on a farm and has quite a hard life which is starting to show on the wings. Got quite a bit of rust going on.

Now I want to get something done with it before the bad weather properly sets in and before the rust starts getting worse.

It doesn't have to look amazing, in fact, it doesn't even have to look presentable tbh, I couldn't care less what it looks like.

Best, easiest and cheapest way to sort it? Cba using filler and stuff. s**t photo below but you get the idea.

Screenshot_20180923-092133_Gallery.jpg

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
I had bad rust on a silver car previously. I ground the rust out with a grinder back to clean metal and then silver hamerite. Look alright and lasted ages!!

Short Norman

ClioSport Club Member
  997 C4S
Similar to how my e46 banger went on both front wings. I hated it being there even though it’s a banger. I kept a look out for second hand wings in the same colour but none came up. Even if they did they’d have rust starting in the same areas. I ended up having two new front wings fitted, which cost me £400.

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
Get a second hand wing. Unless you can paint it will look crap

I really don't care what it looks like haha.

I had bad rust on a silver car previously. I ground the rust out with a grinder back to clean metal and then silver hamerite. Look alright and lasted ages!!

That's what is was thinking, rub it back and either hammerite it or use some rust treatment and just paint the area with a spray can.

Yup, get another wing

Nah, I'll only get a wing when full holes start appearing and I have no choice ha.

Similar to how my e46 banger went on both front wings. I hated it being there even though it’s a banger. I kept a look out for second hand wings in the same colour but none came up. Even if they did they’d have rust starting in the same areas. I ended up having two new front wings fitted, which cost me £400.

Wow, that's more than half the cost of this car and I'm literally doing everything as cheap as possible!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
You’ll get some cheap pattern wings for about £60 a pair. Buy them, paint the back of them with under seal so that they last, and fit them as they are.
Problem completely solved, cheap, and will last.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
You wont stop the rust unless treated properly.

If you dont care about it put silver duct tape over it if it rots through or cover the rust patch with thick grease

Spray can in silver will look even worse and like you've tried and failed.

As above silver stickers, vinyl, tape, or small brush and hammerite the areas.

It honestly does sound like you care though as you want it fixed so I would spend £30-£40 on a second hand wing off eBay or a breakers in the right colour etc which not really miles off a tin of hammerite and materials

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
Do the blinker thing with hands/eyes when you walk past it.

Or put stickers on it.

I've been doing that for a while now. Mind just be really scene and put some funky stickers on it.

You’ll get some cheap pattern wings for about £60 a pair. Buy them, paint the back of them with under seal so that they last, and fit them as they are.
Problem completely solved, cheap, and will last.
Or just buy some of this and brush it over the rust. It goes purple/black and stops it rusting further.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/112335520240

I'm just gonna get some of that kind of stuff I think, thanks.

You wont stop the rust unless treated properly.

If you dont care about it put silver duct tape over it if it rots through or cover the rust patch with thick grease

Spray can in silver will look even worse and like you've tried and failed.

As above silver stickers, vinyl, tape, or small brush and hammerite the areas.

It honestly does sound like you care though as you want it fixed so I would spend £30-£40 on a second hand wing off eBay or a breakers in the right colour etc which not really miles off a tin of hammerite and materials

I only care as I don't want a big hole in my wing so want to stop or slow the rust down as much as possible over winter. I'll just rust treat it and slap some silver hammerite I've got in the garage on it.

scalino65

ClioSport Club Member
grind it off using a polycarbide disc then paint it with a 2 pack epoxy paint. Will look sh1te but wont rust again.

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
Get the whole thing wrapped. Then slam it m9

279.gif

grind it off using a polycarbide disc then paint it with a 2 pack epoxy paint. Will look sh1te but wont rust again.

Sounds good to me, I'll have a look into the epoxy paint.

Just put a Supreme sticker on there y0

Swedish lyf y0.

Just take the wings off

Best suggestion in this thread. Mad max style. Take wings off, get a big light bar and bull bar on the front, job jobbed!