ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Transferring iTunes from one computer to another.

Nimbus 197, Ph1 172
Can this be done? I'm sure I've seen software somewhere online for this, but can't think where. My friend suggested using an external hard drive, but isn't the iTunes file protected?

Mito Sportiva 135
Yeh on my PC I copied everything to an external HDD in one folder, pasted it into a new folder in Windows then dragged it into iTunes.

Took a few hours though, as the HDD was quite old and slow access, but it worked.

182 Cup
Save to hard drive, download iTunes on new computer and close it, connect hard drive and then whilst holding the shift key open iTunes, the new computer should then ask you if you want to use your backed up version of iTunes with all your stuff on it, jus did this the other day n googled how to do it, didn't take too long to transfer either.

Brian

ClioSport Admin
  LY 220 Trophy
This is handy, I still need to do this also.

Knowing what i'm like, i'll set aside half a day (allowing for disasters)

Copy the music to an external HDD, then copy the Itunes library files iTunes Library.itl and iTunes Music Library.xml then hold shift while opening iTunes and point it to the Itunes library file.

Shirley you must have to copy the music/video files over to the new pc too, or the library won't be able to see them?

Nimbus 197, Ph1 172
All I ended up doing was saving the iTunes music folder and iTunes album cover folder to the external hard drive. Opened iTunes, went to file, add folder to library and transfered the lot over. Was easier than I imagined. Cheers all.

Shirley you must have to copy the music/video files over to the new pc too, or the library won't be able to see them?

the library doesn't need to be on the local computer.

Since spotify went tits up I've got my whole itunes library online and both itunes on my work computer and home computer look there for the library files.

If i set it to shuffle at work, my computer at home sets to shuffle too <3