ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

tram lining

NOTHING
i have a 172 cup and my brother inlaw has a 182 , i have noticed that when i put my foot down in the cup it seem to tram line / torque steer alot more than his 182 , just wandering if this is normal and if not what would make tram lining worse in my car than his ? thanks

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Strange..i've driven a few 182's on standard wheels/ 205's and they seemed to tramline more then my 195's.

Yeah, i've always found 205's to be worse too.....

Have you checked everything? Tracking/tyre pressures etc?

S3, Polo
I've never known a FWD car without an LSD feel so aggressive/ on the edge over bumpy B-Roads as my Cup at full chat.

I love it!

;)

NOTHING
^ does yours pull you all over the place when you give it the beans , really have to hold on and tug away ( oo er) to keep it straight ?

lift number 1 @ btm
this is partly because the cup doesn't run equal length drive shafts, it's part of the weight saving.

if it's particularly bad and it's not the simple stuff, could be bottom arm bushes, etc. mine's fairly lively, but you don't really have to fight with it

lift number 1 @ btm
dont know much about drive shafts but i thought that on all cars the drive shafts were different lengths ?

the other rs clio's have a different set up, i'm not completely sure how it works but i remember having a discussion about it with either yozza or k-tec.

how would i go about checking the bushs ?

try levering the arms to see if you've noticeable movement from the inner bushes. it's not always easy to decide and testing by substitution might be easiest (i.e. renew them)

could be an idea to try comparing it with another Cup, just incase it's just a perception thing

NOTHING
ya good shout, can you just replace the bushs or do you have to do the hole arm ? any idea of the cost, thanks everybody for there input much appreciated

don't think you can buy OE bush kits - have to buy new arms. poly bushes could be worth a look if the balljoints are OK

not saying it's the bottom arms, but they'd be a prime suspect - would need to be sure something's definitely astray and then spend a little time going through the susp/steering components before deciding to spend on it

When mine was running on 215/40s the tram lining was diabolical, in wet conditions on B-roads it use to pull over on to the wrong side of the road when I was accelerating hard and there was nothing I could do about it.

Since running on 195/45s it's cured most of it but now and then I do get the odd bit of tram lining but nothing that causes any major concern.

Tav

Clio 197
I'd be pointing the finger at the uequal length drive shafts if the bushes etc. are all fine. Stupid using them to save weight when there is an obvious performance benefit to running equal length two parts shafts. One reason the 182 Cup is better then : )