ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Traded Golf R32 for 182

Just picked up my new 182 with cup pack in exchange for 53 reg R32,plus 7 1/2 grand back from the dealer!
What a car.Yes it doesnt have the build quality or the kudos of the golf,but the handling and performance makes the R32 feel like an overweight,underpowered lardasss.
I can go round my favourite roundabout a good 5-10 mph faster in the 182,thrash the nads off it and still get 30 mpg.
Awesome!

Ang

Pink/Blue 182

good choice.....i test drove an R32 before getting the 182....know exactly what u mean :D....enjoy !....oh and pics ????

106 GTi

Nice to know a former R32 owner likes the 182. I really wanted a R32 but couldnt stretch to the cash they go for.

Enjoy the 182.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Drove my mates R32 and nice as it was, not as great as I expected...

Not something Id have spent £20k+ on!

Jas

ClioSport Admin
  Maserati Ghibli S

I think its all about what you can afford at the end of the day. If I had more cash Id not have an R32 on my drive, but a Porsche 911.

Not sure I agree with Nicks comments about the handling and performance of the R32 being inferior to the 182, are you sure you had an R32? lol

Im an ex R32 and 182 owner - got a new GTI at the mo. The R32 is a special car in many ways. The exhaust note will always be special and i quite liked the handling. The mid range poke was a little underwelming, but the 182 needs ragging as well. As a true hot hatch, the 182 is hard to beat. My current Mk V Gti leaves me a little cold, although i have just enjoyed a high speed buzz past the prime ministers weekend gaff:)

Mini Cooper S sport

What are the stats on an R32?

A 182 must feel like its made of paper in comparison, but I think the general feeling is that its fantastic for the price..

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by Adamf on 21 April 2005

Are you mad??!?!?!?!?!;)

I agree the R32 isnt worth all that money but Id have one over any Renault
Who said Id choose a Renault over a Golf... ;)

But for what he paid for it (just over £20k) there are other cars Id much rather own instead.

Ang

Pink/Blue 182

just personal opinion i guess......R32 handles great but i just didnt find it as much fun as the 182.....

Clio 197

A very sensible man!

I swapped from a heavier car myself, and I can understand where youre coming from.

It wont be too long before clios are as heavy as your old golf (well see it in our lifetime), so you might as well enjoy the best hot-hatch of all time while you can.

Dont forget to give her a wax, and post your pics up!

Welcome to to club!

Oms.

Jas

ClioSport Admin
  Maserati Ghibli S

Quote: Originally posted by Metallic Black on 21 April 2005

What are the stats on an R32?

A 182 must feel like its made of paper in comparison, but I think the general feeling is that its fantastic for the price..
0-60 is 6.5 (unfortunatley you need to change into 3rd gear just before 60 :() and 1/4 mile is around 14.6s. Top speed 154mph.

I agree with you that the 172/182s are fantastic value for money. Best you can get at that price, by far...

Mini Cooper S sport

Quote: Originally posted by Jas on 21 April 2005

0-60 is 6.5 (unfortunatley you need to change into 3rd gear just before 60 :() and 1/4 mile is around 14.6s. Top speed 154mph.
I agree with you that the 172/182s are fantastic value for money. Best you can get at that price, by far...
Wow thought theyd be sub 6, arent they 3.2 litre or something? They must be as heavy as well...a very heavy thing!

Theyre really not much faster than a 182 then, but I suppose youre paying for good build quality.

for 3.2 litres you think it would have more poke!! and it would be fine if it did as its four wheel drive! even the clio v6 should shift more realy as its got a 3.0 24v v6 engine with 2 seats and it dont move that quick! an the little clios with the 2.0 16v shift for what they got an realy realy fun! lol

I dont see the point in v6s (3 litre) and r32s (3.2 litres) when they dont go that fast, why not just stick to smaller engine but TURBOED! A 1.3 toyota starlet will give the big 3 litre boys runs for thier money!

Jas

ClioSport Admin
  Maserati Ghibli S

But for a very small amount you can put a turbo on the R32, then you have some serious speed :D

It is a heavy car, that ill admit, but when you see one and see what its made of, and what extras you get, then youll see why.

The smaller turbod engines are also under a lot more strain and thus components fail more rapidly than relatively unstressed bigger engines. Its not a coincidence that r5 gtt engines (and similar) self-destruct on a regular basis when heavily modified.

You also dont have to ring the neck of larger engined cars to see the performance.

As for r32. Turbod to an easy 450 bhp (though 550-650 attainable) or supercharged to 350 bhp.

At almost 1500kg the R32 will never feel as nimble as a the clios, but I would take one any day of the week!, R32s look great!

225 & Audi S4

for a £23000 53reg R32 to get a new 182 n £7.5k from a dealer is a very good deal unbelievable

[Edited by littleone on 22 April 2005 at 9:38am]

Im with you on this one.

£7500 plus (for agruments sake)a £13000 clio? So the stealer offered £20500 PX? I cant believe that considering my make was offered 17000 for his 04 with 12000, against an RX8. Nice as the R32s are there no way, even fot he last of the line with 0 miles on it, your going to get over 20000 px.

Your dealers either

a) Wants to loose 3000-4000 on the transaction.

b) The sale mangaer is going to get his ass kicked for over valuing for px, pressumably the renaulit stealer wont retail the R32, and theres no way its fetching over 16500 at auction, so go figure........

Or you got the clio for £9000, which for a new, if not any 182 is a bit cheap if you know what I mean.

Sorry, but the maths doesnt add up! :confused:

Quote: Originally posted by littleone on 22 April 2005for a £23000 53reg R32 to get a new 182 n £7.5k from a dealer is a very good deal unbelievable

Embarrassed to say

I can see no better swap at that money. Its a front wheel drive car until the traction control comes on and its a perfect understeer simulator....not a patch on a 182 other than for build quality.

Quote: Originally posted by Nick nets on 21 April 2005
Just picked up my new 182 with cup pack in exchange for 53 reg R32,plus 7 1/2 grand back from the dealer!
What a car.Yes it doesnt have the build quality or the kudos of the golf,but the handling and performance makes the R32 feel like an overweight,underpowered lardasss.
I can go round my favourite roundabout a good 5-10 mph faster in the 182,thrash the nads off it and still get 30 mpg.
Awesome!

an overweight,underpowered lardasss - SOUNDS JUST LIKE JASON!!!

:-D

/y0z

Jas

ClioSport Admin
  Maserati Ghibli S

Quote: Originally posted by cupsportmad on 22 April 2005

I can see no better swap at that money. Its a front wheel drive car until the traction control comes on and its a perfect understeer simulator....not a patch on a 182 other than for build quality.
eh? do you actually know what you are talking about? :confused:

Lee

BMW M2C

Quote: Originally posted by Jas on 22 April 2005
Quote: Originally posted by cupsportmad on 22 April 2005I can see no better swap at that money. Its a front wheel drive car until the traction control comes on and its a perfect understeer simulator....not a patch on a 182 other than for build quality.[/QUOTE]eh? do you actually know what you are talking about? :confused:

Come on Jas, youve been around long enough to know everyone is an expert on here. :p

Clio v6

Is there a point to this thread ie have you actually swapped from Golf or been for a test in one?

Jas

ClioSport Admin
  Maserati Ghibli S

Quote: Originally posted by Lee on 22 April 2005

Come on Jas, youve been around long enough to know everyone is an expert on here. :p
PMSL :D True, True...

E91 M Sport

The R32 is 163bhp/ton which isnt that good (or bad) but no one is going buy one because theyre after an agile hot-hatch.

Id take one for build quality alone.

Awesome!

Awesome!

Dont get me wrong,the R32 was a great car,but for 23.5k it wasnt as good as it should have been.The power delivery was very lumpy and flat(a common problem apparently)and it handled nowhere near as good as the 182.Fuel economy was a complete joke,19 mpg when driven hard!

Quote: Originally posted by dannyboy2005 on 22 April 2005
Im with you on this one.

£7500 plus (for agruments sake)a £13000 clio? So the stealer offered £20500 PX? I cant believe that considering my make was offered 17000 for his 04 with 12000, against an RX8. Nice as the R32s are there no way, even fot he last of the line with 0 miles on it, your going to get over 20000 px.

Your dealers either

a) Wants to loose 3000-4000 on the transaction.

b) The sale mangaer is going to get his ass kicked for over valuing for px, pressumably the renaulit stealer wont retail the R32, and theres no way its fetching over 16500 at auction, so go figure........

Or you got the clio for £9000, which for a new, if not any 182 is a bit cheap if you know what I mean.

Sorry, but the maths doesnt add up! :confused:

Quote: Originally posted by littleone on 22 April 2005for a £23000 53reg R32 to get a new 182 n £7.5k from a dealer is a very good deal unbelievable

Doubting Thomas.I got the 182 for 12k and they gave me 19,350 for the R32!Theyll bang it out at 21 or so,so theyll still do alright!