ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Trade or Private?

As it says on the tin! Hoping to become an rs clio owner in the coming months and wondered what peoples thoughts, experiences are? Private gives you cheaper deal but possible risk in the future, trade you get 3 months warranty bla bla.
Thoughts!?
Tom

RB FF 182
I got mine private... So far it's cost me at least £1500 in repairs so maybe my opinion is slightly biased... lol!!

I'd only ever buy an RS privately from a member on here in the 'Cars for sale' section, as that way you can see in depth info on the car etc...

However, I will be looking at buying all my future cars from main dealers, I know I'll pay more but a warranty could prove invaluable in my opinion...

Alpine GTA Turbo+182
I think you have answered the question yourself. I would add though, the dealers generally are more realistic with their pricing than a lot of dreamers on here, Ebay, etc. Also with trade you can usually get an extended waranty too. Again, there are a lot of "private" dealers out there - people who do a "bit of buying and selling". They are the lowlife, making a buck and not having to stand by the car. You are often better off looking at a car that needs a service and belts , £500+, and know it has been done for sure, rather than risking someone's say so. And HPI every car before you part with your dosh. Good luck!

172/vx220t/m135i
There is a reasonable risk buying private or trade, luck of the draw sometimes if you get a good one. I would say buying from the forum is best way to go as more likely to have been looked after by an enthusiast and can check on the cars history in a bit more detail.

Short Norman

ClioSport Club Member
  997 C4S
Private from a long standing forum member, that way you should be sure that they're not going to sell a lemon and get a bed reputation on the forum. I looked at a couple from Traders and they were in poor condition.

What you looking for? you could buy mine.;)

06 Hyundai coupe 2.0
Iv had mixed experiences buying private, always take a mechanic friend with you, or do a AA health check on it. And you must must MUST do a full hpi check on it, it's worth spending an extra £100max doing checks, than a month down the line buying a lemon.
If you do buy from a garage, buy from a bigger one, a lot of the side street ones arnt the best, cosmetically the cars look ok, but under the bonnet they arnt.

Really appreciate all the comments people! Been scouring the internet for quite a while now and looking for a decent 172 cup., fair miles, no mods unless subtle i.e. I want rear seats lol! I have looked on the for sale section but cant see where they are located other in the profile window and sometimes that doesn't say?!? Im in Surrey but willing to travel decent distance for the right one! Unfortunately a trader in crawley has got there hands on 5 rs' which Ive spoke about before on here. A little off topic but are there any meets in Surrey?