ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Trade in price for my 172 cup?

A4 Avant & A3
Hi all,
The time has come to chop in the clio for a more practical/5 door car (will have a baby soon!!
(53 plate 172 cup, 23.5k with Climate)

I found a 02 plate golf gt tdi 130 for 7k at a local garage (the mrs had a quick look today & liked it) only thing is it's got 84k on the clock (is that bad??)
she asked about trading mine in & the guy looked up the cup & was saying how rare it is(?) and seemed generally interested in it & said he'd probably give 6k for it maybe more. (without seeing it)
Does that seem about right?

Also anyone know if the golfs are a pretty decent reliable car?..

Don't wanna swap my fun motor for a "practical" car & have it break down all the time, i won't be happy!!

A4 Avant & A3
I thought it sounded ok,
Just sad to have to swap a newer lower mileage car that i've really looked after for that.. but ya gotta do what you gotta do i suppose..

There's always the thought of keeping the clio & changing our old p reg pug for the golf.. but not really the right time to be spending all my savings!! so i gotta be sensible i think. (just gotta keep telling myself that!)

172cup
Hi all,
The time has come to chop in the clio for a more practical/5 door car (will have a baby soon!!

if i am still on the foum by this time... and by chance i ever said what you did.... you all have permission to come round and kill me.

Life must surely be all downhill after that?

Astra CDTI XP & ZX6R
That sounds like a vgood deal, the golfs are very reliable and 83k is nothing for a diesel golf. The diesel 130 golf remap to aroung 170-180 bhp without any trouble for around 300 quid, so your practical car might be abit of fun!!!

A4 Avant & A3
^^
i was secretly thinking of a remap lol...
didn't realise it'd make that much of a power increase for the money though.. even better

GDI 227bhp ITB`d 172 cup
congatulations on having a baby, just bad luck u`ve gonna gat rid off the cup :( (gud trade in price thou, without even seein it :D)

SLK 350
6K is good, but 7K for the Golf sounds little dear with those miles. My dad had a GT TDI150 was a good car, but they still have problems, design of the front window mech is flawed, both windows dropped into the door over the period of 6 months. Plastic retaining clips snap.

A4 Avant & A3
Just went & drove the car & it's very nice. (for a sensible car!)
The price vs mileage around this area seems about right from what i've seen. The majority have 100k+ on & not much cheaper going private.

Found a few probs on it, cracked wing mirror & broken arm rest in the front. & a scuff on the rear bumper.
Although after looking at my car he will give 6k for mine & fix all the bits, Service & MOT it plus do cambelt if there's no proof of that being done.
& 3 months warranty (if that means much)
So all in all, seems a pretty good deal???

^^ i've heard about the window prob.. all 4 worked fine.
& felt nice to drive, gear stick was a little wobbly though. nothing major.

RS6+ & 40d MSport X5
where is this garage?? i got offered £4700 trade in for mine n its a minter

A4 Avant & A3
it's actually a vauxhall franchise in bristol.
an old mate of mine used to work in there.. shame i don't still know him :-(

another thing, my car needs an MOT in 2 weeks which will need 2 tyres..
damn it's sounding better & better ...
think i'll have to get the mrs to do the deal, don't think i can drive my well loved cup there & drive home in a golf :-(
needs must and all that

Hyundai i40
been there dont that back in a hot hatch!! went from 106 gti to golf 130 gttdi (with everything) back to the clio 172!

i just dont like big cars

but sounds like a good deal on the cup

A4 Avant & A3
^^ yeah, i think the same will happen here..
We've got 2 3door cars at the moment & getting a baby seat in the back isn't good!!.. (i did my back in last year & it's still not good!)
Also the clio fornt seat needs ot be right forward for it to fit lol.

I'm not a fan of big cars, but golf size is ok i think.
it was nice and comfy!!

F&B

16v>Cup>25Anni>Cup>320cdM
Do you definitely need to sell the Cup? I've got a Cup (my second) and I have a 3 year old. I had my first Cup and traded it in for a Golf (MK4) Anniversary but eventually went back to another Cup.

I haven't found space a problem, pushchair + extras fit fine in the boot. The other thing I've noticed is that I thought a 3-door car was always going to be a pain when putting the little chap in the babyseat. However, when you flip the passenger seat forward it gives you loads of room to crouch down and strap them in - when I've used other people's 5-door cars I've actually found it more difficult because you can't crouch in front of the babyseat, you have to lean in from the side.

The other thing to consider is the running costs, Diesel may sound like a winner to begin with but I found Volkswagen parts/servicing (and tyres on the 18's, you'd probably have 16's on a TDI though) fairly expensive and running the Cup has been dirt cheap really. The other plus with the Cup is you can leave all the baby stuff at home, drive to a circuit, enjoy a trackday then drive home and use it as your daily driver. You could do the same with the Golf but you'll need to spend some cash on it to get it as usable as a Cup on track (and the road, and it will probably never handle like a Cup no matter how much you spend).

The other plus is you have a Cup with aircon which is a winner if you have a little one in the car stuck in traffic during the summer and I suppose the other thing is safety - The Cup is NCAP 4, the Golf Mark 4 is the same, the only negative is the Cup doesn't have ABS but I've only ever locked the wheels when I've basically been driving too fast for the conditions and people carted their kids around for years in cars without ABS (having said that you can't argue that ABS isn't a plus point when the unexpected happens or when the weather is poor).

Keep the Cup if you can, it's newer, lower mileage, not as well built, but more fun. The Mark 4 Golf is a nice car though so if you do change you'll be getting comfort and quality as replacement to the fun factor of the Clio.

Mountune Tractor
Just went & drove the car & it's very nice. (for a sensible car!)
The price vs mileage around this area seems about right from what i've seen. The majority have 100k+ on & not much cheaper going private.

Found a few probs on it, cracked wing mirror & broken arm rest in the front. & a scuff on the rear bumper.
Although after looking at my car he will give 6k for mine & fix all the bits, Service & MOT it plus do cambelt if there's no proof of that being done.
& 3 months warranty (if that means much)
So all in all, seems a pretty good deal???

^^ i've heard about the window prob.. all 4 worked fine.
& felt nice to drive, gear stick was a little wobbly though. nothing major.

Rearrange the words:

Arm Snap His Off Deal That For

Good trade in price, I would expect the figures on the replacement have been slightly increased to offset this?

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
Do the deal and re-map the golf.In the right conditions it will make you smile just like the clio does

A4 Avant & A3
Deal done!..
getting the golf all serviced & MOT'd up all niggly bits i found sorted out & he's giving 6k for mine.
Was budgeting on spending £200 on mine this month with MOT & Tyres, so don't need that now.
I will miss the cup but hey ho. i did like the golf too, in a different way.
Just needs some new wheels.. price of 18"tyres might put me off though!

In response to F&B.
I was toying with the idea of keeping the cup, but i have a dog & the in laws live 250miles away, so the cup just isn't the car to have as our 'main' one. space & motorway ride comfort.
The other car is a P reg pug 306 which is fine, but not worth anything to sell, so i'm just using that for work & back.

on a plus side.. £115 per year tax!!!

Anyway, all sorted & get it next Saturday, which time the little 'un will be with us too.. so i'll have to take it out for a spin in the cup before it goes. :)