ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Traction controls /Serv light on

2003 Clio 172
Just when I thought I'd managed to fit my aftermarket steering wheel without any issues, the baguette throws me a curve ball as usual ?

Fitted resistors in the two airbag wires which has prevented the airbag warning light from illuminating, and when I turn the key and start the car all the lights go out. Drive a short distance however and the traction control and serv lights come on. I've read that this may be due to the steering angle sensor, however I was careful when fitting the new wheel not to disturb it. I can only assume that despite my best efforts it must have been disturbed slightly. I have to remove the new wheel and boss soon to fit a ph1 stalk, so will have a look at the angle sensor at the same time. Why is nothing ever straightforward with these cars? ?

2003 Clio 172
Either that or you've been really unlucky and an abs sensor has gone at the same time. ?

Just done a bit of reading, and it appears that you can disturb the steering angle sensor by moving the airbag wires. Definitely moved these around a bit when I was fitting the resistors so that would explain it. Funnily enough I do have a fault with one of the rear wheel sensors, but that only brings on the warning light once in a blue moon, and only ever at motorway speeds. Think this one is definitely steering wheel related lol.

dan's cast offs.
wrong boss fitted. you haven't got the lugs on it for the boss by the sounds of it.

2003 Clio 172
wrong boss fitted. you haven't got the lugs on it for the boss by the sounds of it.

It's an OMP boss as far as I know (bought second hand). May be a daft question, but why would they make one without lugs?

2003 Clio 172
@bloke

Looks like that may be the case, as the boss was previously fitted to a ph1 so I guess wouldn't have needed the lugs, although will double check when I fit horn stalk. Boss still fits fine but obviously will throw up the traction control warning light. Would a new momo boss solve this?

2003 Clio 172
Yeah momo boss req’d.

Yup, looks like it.
Will hang fire for a bit as apart from the warning lights it's all good. I've also got a house move coming up and have spent far too much on the car recently lol. Having said that, I got the Momo wheel for a decent price, so even buying a momo boss isn't too bad, as can always sell the OMP boss on to someone with a ph1 or cup.

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Had the same issue with mine as I didn’t initially realise 182’s needed the lugs having had 172’s previously. Worst part was ybracing were adamant the OMP part was correct, never buying from them arseholes again!

2003 Clio 172
Had the same issue with mine as I didn’t initially realise 182’s needed the lugs having had 172’s previously. Worst part was ybracing were adamant the OMP part was correct, never buying from them arseholes again!

Yeah, heard mixed reviews about YB.

Even though mine is a 172, I'm assuming it still needs the lugs as has traction control fitted. I guess the version without the lugs is for ph1s and 172 cups.

2003 Clio 172
Just to confue things my indicators still self cancel, so I'm wondering if this means that the boss does have the lugs after all. Won't be able to whip it off and have a look until next weekend now either...