ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tracking down bearing hum

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
My 172 has a loud bearing hum from about 40mph onwards that I can't locate the source of. I've tried jacking up each corner and spinning the wheel to listen for it as well as holding the spring to feel for and vibration.
Any other tips to find out which ones gone short of taking it to a garage?

DanSej6

ClioSport Club Member
If it's on the front you could get both wheels up in the air and then drive it upto 70mph then see if it is from one of the front ones.
Easier to do if you get someone to run it up while you're checking mind.

mossyv6

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy,V6,5GT,AG200
That doesn't sound to safe :(

But I do know how difficult it can be as the vibration and noise transfers through the chassis. I was convinced my bearing noise was from the front drivers side but was advised it was from the rear - so I changed these and still the same!
I decided to strip both front hubs down and it turned out to be the front passenger side.

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
I currently have the same issue on a pearl black that I have just put back on the road. Jacking up and spinning the wheels seems fine. Above 40mph definately a wheel bearing.

Last one I did you could only feel once hub was removed. Will be removing both front hubs this week.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
I had a similar issue on my clio dci, noisy bearing but not giving much away when jacked up and i can usually diagnose most wheel bearing noise straight away. It ended up being a combination of 3x semi worn wheel bearings causing a racket, could see the wear once the hub was stripped. I ended up biting the bullet and doing both fronts, which more or less cured it straight away, with only a minor noise from the rear to do.

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
With my son in the passenger seat we are sure it's the passenger front but noise travels so well doesnt it.

Presume you've checked for play in each wheel by holding the wheel at 9:15 & 12:30 and rocking it back and fourth? Also saw toothing tyre wear from to much toe out can cause a humming duplicating a shot bearing.

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
I wonder if the previous owner didn't put the rear disc spacers back when they changed the discs, is there an easy way to check or is simply a case of removing the disc?

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
@DomP182 if you turn to the left or right, does the noise stop or increase? This is the easiest way to find a noisy bearing. Turn to the left and the noise increases - it's the right hand wheel bearing and vice versa.

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
Yes I would say it's worse on right hand bends so left front bearing? Rears don't tend to react to this so much do they?

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
I've had trouble identifying bearings before, this ones so loud I'm surprised there's no appreciable movement in the wheel