ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Trackday pads

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Had a search but the threads are mega old.

What pads do people recommend lately for track? It's going to be an everyday car apart form maybe 5 track days a year or so.

Ds2500 decent? I couldn't care less about squeal!

Currently have mintex 1144 and they were dire on track. Three laps and I faded into next week.

Thank you very much for your thoughts.

Daniel

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Mintex 1155, the best I've used
Rc5+ good
Ds2500 crap imo
£19 pagid pads from euro, good. I lie not.

I'd try 1155 tbh

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
I'd say I brake fairly late yeah, I think haha not sure how late is really late. It might seem like a moot question but if I was to post a video of me on track would that help at all deciding on what compound?

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
One of three videos. Two others are 20 minute stints. I'm sure @LeeRS can confirm I never complained about the brakes

Land Rover Defender
I'm running DS2500 with HC Brembo discs and superblue (well, gold now!) fluid. It's an everyday smoke with occasional trackdays.
Quite hard on brakes and they didn't even think of fading even when glowing!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 136

TRH_Racing

South East - Herts/London
ClioSport Area Rep
ds2500 or ds1.11 iirc

ive got 1144's with brembo high carbon discs and so far for fast road use theyve been alright .. could be better tbh!
might get some ds 1.11's in the summer time tho

George@RTR_Parts

ClioSport Trader
  need BRAKES? PM me
Personal preference and driving style play a massive part in pad choice imo. You just have to look at your video and Mark's (northloop) video for some contrast in driving style :wink:

I still rate DS2500 for road with a few track days a year. If you are going to be doing a lot of track days and the car is a lot more track focused/driven harder (not that Mark's isn't but you know what I'm getting at) , then the pads further up the range like the DS3000 and DS1.11 are more suited . Like with anything in life you get what you pay for

Track 172 Cup
I have just bought a set of DS1.11 to try out for next year, I have been using Carbon Lorraine RC6 which I also think are very good just fancied a change and to try something new.

Thinks to think about that haven't been mentioned (you know all this Dan!)...

Buying race-ish stuff (DS1.11) is exciting. Buying lesser stuff (1144, DS2500 etc) isn't. But then you have Tinder for "exciting"...

Number of additional Tinder dates you could go on with the money saved from buying DS2500 vs DS1.11...

Number of Tinder dates off-to-a-nerdy-start by the need to explain the low-speed squeeling in the car park outside Nandos...

Circuits - Blyton is actually really hard on brakes, although you're never stopping from much more than 100mph you only get 10-15 seconds of relatively low-speed cooling before you're hard on the brakes again. Rockingham for example you're stamping on the brakes from 120+ but prior to that you've got half a mile of oval for them to recover from the previous hard stop.

Temperature temperature temperature wear wear wear - wear rate increases with temperature, just like a drill bit. Use the same RPM at a lower temperature and you drill a hole in the same amount of time but with less wear on the tool. Same is true of brake pads. Assuming they're in their operating window (graphs of mu vs temp etc) you'll stop equally as well but with less wear if you can run the pads cooler.

Kinetic energy being 1/2mv^2 - I guess you're middle of the road, medium mass & medium velocity? Something like Cub's supercharged flamer (high v due to plenty of power & high m due to not being stripped) is probably one of the worst case Clios and asks the most of the pads/callipers/fluid/discs etc.

Tyres - with semi slicks you remove the same amount of total energy as road tyres (there's no "t" for time in 1/2mv^2 etc) but at a higher rate. So you either need to spend more on pads to deal with higher average temperatures, or improve cooling and keep the lesser (cheaper) pads.

Fluid - amazed no-one's mentioned this, how do you know it's the pads fading not the fluid boiling? Presume the pedal always had the similar travel, just became less effective...

Swapping between road & track pads each time is a royal PITA because the difference in pad thickness inevitably means you have to top-up every time you put thinner pads in. Not to mention if it's raining :L

At least 4 or 5 of those can be solved/improved not by spending a couple of hundred on pads (sorry George! :tongueout: ), but by putting a bit of thought into cooling. Granted, packaging is tight on Clios and the lack of daytime-fog-lights might reduce the Tinder success rate.

Fluid > cooling > then evaluate whether you still need to spend £200 every time you replace pads.

George@RTR_Parts

ClioSport Trader
  need BRAKES? PM me
I presumed the brake fluid and cooling had been sorted , with the car having buckets/harnesses

Usually one of the first things people do on track cars , as its easy, cheap and effective :up:

Also consider two things if it's mainly a road car:
1) the R90 spec and it's effect on the regs (http://www.juratek.com/about-r90.php) The police and insurance companies are getting fairly hot on checking this after an accident.
2) Squeal, lots of pads (Carbon Loarraine inparticular use crap backing pads without the anti rattle springs, so they squeal like hell which I personally couldnt live with.

182 - F56 MCS
I run CL RC6 pads and HC disks which I find to be perfect. Good from cold and once warm are some of the best brakes I've used. They do squeal (a lot) but for me adds to the experience! However they do ruin wheels with brake dust but doesn't bother me, mine is purely a track car and gets washed maybe once every 6 months anyway.

Clio RS 197
I recently totally cooked my ds2500s at snetterton, which subsequently disintegrated into dust when removed... They've been fine for a while but as I've got better at track driving and braking harder and later, the pads haven't coped well at all. I'll be upgrading to something a bit more hardcore after Xmas..... Nudge @George@RTR_Parts !!

Sonic Boom

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Sport Ph1
Carbone Lorraine RC6's are epic the best brake pads I've ever used, yes theysqueel like f**k and make loads of dust but if that bothers you more than stopping quickly just whack some OE pads in :)

Rich

seanconnolly

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
I run ds3000's in the brembos on mine and I'm very late on the brakes and I've never had an issue but reading through this I think I'll try something else when the time comes!