ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Track / Race 172

Clio 172 & BMW 335D
So I have been on here a while and been toying with the idea of racing the Clio.
I have been doing Trackdays for a few years and as some of you may know the car goes very well.

I have just purchased all the bits required for turning my Clio into racing spec (new seat, harness etc etc)
ARDS test is booked for 8th July at Oulton which is a Trackday with MSV so hopefully that will go well and I will get half a day out of it too!
I will get some pictures up of how it looks at the minute and then as I make changes I will get them uploaded.
Josh

Clio 172 & BMW 335D
Good luck with your ARDS Josh. I did mine there. Decided what series you're racing with yet?
What did you think of the ARDS? Oulton is my local track so I know it well. Not had chance to watch the DvD you get sent as of yet.
Really not sure yet open to options so far I have looked at Trocolre trophy, 750 motor Club (Hot Hatch), MSV Trackday trophy or Trackday championship.
What do you race in yourself?

Clio 172 & BMW 335D
A few picture of how it stands

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    45 KB · Views: 327
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    150.5 KB · Views: 333
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    40.5 KB · Views: 315
  WRX
What did you think of the ARDS? Oulton is my local track so I know it well. Not had chance to watch the DvD you get sent as of yet.
Really not sure yet open to options so far I have looked at Trocolre trophy, 750 motor Club (Hot Hatch), MSV Trackday trophy or Trackday championship.
What do you race in yourself?
It's all pretty much common sense and mostly about safety. Driving part is just to show the examiner that you are safe on track. Obeying the rules means the white line on edge of track is the limit. Drive at about 80% race pace and you'll pass. I was in Tricolore for the last two years but first race in CTCRC Pre 05 next weekend.

Clio 172 & BMW 335D
It's all pretty much common sense and mostly about safety. Driving part is just to show the examiner that you are safe on track. Obeying the rules means the white line on edge of track is the limit. Drive at about 80% race pace and you'll pass. I was in Tricolore for the last two years but first race in CTCRC Pre 05 next weekend.
Have to let me know what is like I am open to anything!!
I am hopefully going to be up and running August time so hopeful to get a few races in towards the end of the year and new parts over winter with a few cheap track days to sort things out!

Clio 172 & BMW 335D
Update 13/6
So tonight I set about removing my old eBay cage and bucket seat from the car, this was a laugh as I forgot how awkward they are to handle inside a Clio! I will save he clean up until tomorrow night and then probably going to use some hammerite paint to do the inside nothing fancy.
I'm going to be running standard engine with a V6 Airbox and hopefully a map to run just under 200bhp per tonne...(this is the aim anyway)
If anyone has any pictures of how they have mounted their v6 Airbox that would be good as it does look very tight even with battery relocated (not yet done). I have mocked up my headlight black into a cold air feed when I was running standard air box I will probably adapt this to suit the new box.
Question..
Does anyone racing run the new BTCC metal towing straps? If so have you mounted them on the panel above where the old towing eye fits? Again any pictures would help.
I have provided a picture which may help and circled in red.
Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    220.3 KB · Views: 322
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    312 KB · Views: 309
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    349.5 KB · Views: 352
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    279.2 KB · Views: 310
  • image.png
    image.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 348

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Run the v6 airbox directly off your throttle body with the inlet facing forwards. Cut the skin out from your bonnet and you'll have a direct air feed as the air can flow under the bonnet. That's how mine used to be when I was running the 172 engine. :up:

Clio 172 & BMW 335D
Run the v6 airbox directly off your throttle body with the inlet facing forwards. Cut the skin out from your bonnet and you'll have a direct air feed as the air can flow under the bonnet. That's how mine used to be when I was running the 172 engine. :up:
Guessing you skinned the bonnet with a grinder? I can only see that ended one way and it's not good for the bonnet!

Clio 172 & BMW 335D
Ordered the Custom Cage today should be here within 3 weeks! So hopefully if all goes well could be ready for racing in August.
May need to call of a few peoples expertise with fitting cages as it does go behind the dash!

I run a FIA tow eye bolted through the original screw hole that has a back plate and nut to stop it pulling through.

New MSA rules for 2017 will require wire toe hooks to be fitted x2 on front x2 on rear (if I had read the draft correctly) So, as long as the part is strong enough, maybe bolt aback plate (50mm sq plate) to the back then I cant see why that wont suffice

Clio 172 & BMW 335D
I run a FIA tow eye bolted through the original screw hole that has a back plate and nut to stop it pulling through.

New MSA rules for 2017 will require wire toe hooks to be fitted x2 on front x2 on rear (if I had read the draft correctly) So, as long as the part is strong enough, maybe bolt aback plate (50mm sq plate) to the back then I cant see why that wont suffice
Yeah when ordering them from JJC I have got 2 for now to meet 2016 regs but rightly so 4 are required for 2017, and the guy suggested bolt through the plate that I have circuled with a back plate. The wire toe hooks have come and they are a nice piece of kit!

Hmm thats interesting, not cheap those wire tow hooks either are they?!

About £80 for 4?

I think theres something related that i used to use when I was doing some rope access work and for about £20 for 4 so may look into it!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Clio 172 & BMW 335D
Hmm thats interesting, not cheap those wire tow hooks either are they?!

About £80 for 4?

I think theres something related that i used to use when I was doing some rope access work and for about £20 for 4 so may look into it!

Like I said I have purchased a lot from JJC and they were doing me 4 for £54 I think + VAT so not to bad! But then they have been doing me some good deals on a lot of bits and bobs

Clio 172 & BMW 335D
Interesting, how much sucky sucky was involved?! And where do i sign up?

I have spend a lot with them basically eve thing for racing....safety equipment new helmet hans devise everything!!

Just want to update this incase anyone gets the wrong idea, the wire tow ruling as above is only "strongly recommended" so wont be in force for 2017, however watch this space for the near future.

663320e919761a8eea99208a4d1c8cb7.jpg

Clio 172 & BMW 335D
No update on this just yet as I am on holiday! However few things have been arriving at home....full cage from customer cages, my new seat.
Hopefully all ready to go in be car 1st July!
However while out in Cuba I have been getting ideas on a dash from an old American Chevy......

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    281.4 KB · Views: 224
anything you've done to prepare for your ards? or is there anything you should do? apart from bringing your helmet and buying the go racing pack from msa?

Clio 172 & BMW 335D
@Mash. In the go racing pack you get a DvD just watched that the s tidy the flags in the little book you get and as @sonny172cup says it's mainly safety related according to people I speak to.

@182_Ads cage has already sold unfortunately, I will message you if the sale falls through though!

@Tony Hunter thanks for this Tony I will be in touch no doubt I am not 100% sure what series I want to run in yet.

cool thanks guys, yep keep forgetting about that go racing pack!

Yes that does help. Also dont forget the medical.

When you buy your goracing pack it will come with a double folded A4 serial numbered (to you) form that you must fill out, you hand it to your doc and to the ards examiner, once filled out you then can send off for license (with license fee £65).

Clio 172 & BMW 335D
Yes that does help. Also dont forget the medical.

When you buy your goracing pack it will come with a double folded A4 serial numbered (to you) form that you must fill out, you hand it to your doc and to the ards examiner, once filled out you then can send off for license (with license fee £65).
Yeah I have filled it all out just waiting to get back got from holiday then got my doctors app for my medical... Then ARDS on the 8th!
@sonny172cup did you get charged for your medical at the doctors?